Fury X price might be affected by a Cooler Master suit vs Asetek

zMeul

well thats not how its looking sadly..... rip

The article doesn't state that amd is affected though. And it doesn't list the Fury X cooler under the affected list. So I'm wondering how amd is affected...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You're likely correct. The AIO units for the FuryX were likely sold to AMD in bulk up front. The court ruling doesn't retroactively pinch CM for past sales.

I doubt AMD has warehouses of them readily available. They likely entered a contract with Coolermaster, meaning that now Coolermaster will either have 0 profits since they would have to pay Asetek out of their pocket and not affect AMD's contract with them meaning that they will not be able to deliver meaning that AMD will be pretty much forced to support full Fiji cards with custom PBC and cooler design, something they should have done from the get go anyway but it will certainly have an impact.

-------

Current Rig

-------

no, the end user will eat the costs

since when, in the entire history of commerce a fine was entirely paid by the company and not transferred to the product(s) on shelf

When said component is a just a part of another product belonging to another company?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I doubt AMD has warehouses of them readily available. They likely entered a contract with Coolermaster, meaning that now Coolermaster will either have 0 profits since they would have to pay Asetek out of their pocket and not affect AMD's contract with them meaning that they will not be able to deliver meaning that AMD will be pretty much forced to support full Fiji cards with custom PBC and cooler design, something they should have done from the get go anyway but it will certainly have an impact.

Or simply go to the CM competition to get the product they need.

I wish they went with Asetek to begin with. maybe this will teach AMD to not cheap out on a flagship card.

I hope you realize a fury x costs more to manufacture than a 980ti does

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

since when, in the entire history of commerce a fine was entirely paid by the company and not transferred to the product(s) on shelf

When CM doesn't want their competitors to suddenly become much better for the money. Who do you think would buy a CM cooler if they raised their costs by 25%, when there are plenty of competitors including the likes of corsair and of course, asetek?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hope you realize a fury x costs more to manufacture than a 980ti does

With all the corners that Nvidia cut with Maxwell, it doesn't surprise me. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

And risk another company also being sued and awarded a similar injuction. Only Asetek as the patent holder can guarantee they won't have that issue and they won't be able to supply in large enough numbers.

If they just simply settle for a fucking air cooler like all other high end cards that can be adequately cooled anyway including far hotter chips like  the 390x none of this would be an issue.

It's sad that Asetek is basically holding back progress but that's exactly what they're doing and AMD should be wiser than to get into that patent nonsense fucking minefield again.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Odd that Asetek did not get a complete ban on the products all together. However I doubt it will mean much to prices. They should be down a bit by the time January batches are being made. Actually by then all GPU's in production should be Arctic Island/Greenland GPU's, so it probably won't make any difference anyways.

AMD used Asetek on their great 295x2, and it worked like a charm. The Fury X has had problems due to noisy cheap Cooler Master pumps, so it would have been great to go back to Asetek anyways.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

And risk another company also being sued and awarded a similar injuction. Only Asetek as the patent holder can guarantee they won't have that issue and they won't be able to supply in large enough numbers.

If they just simply settle for a fucking air cooler like all other high end cards that can be adequately cooled anyway including far hotter chips like  the 390x none of this would be an issue.

It's sad that Asetek is basically holding back progress but that's exactly what they're doing and AMD should be wiser than to get into that patent nonsense fucking minefield again.

You replied to the problem yourself. And I belive if it was the case, asetek would do just fine.

I'm not saying air cooled version isn't a solution like you said, since i saw a R9 295X2 cleaning everything air cooled, I belive almost anything can be air cooled ;)

AMD in this case is just a customer, that if it doesn't like the outcome, nothing is in it's way to change supplier (and I'm pretty sure CM will just suck it up not to lose AMD).

well thats not how its looking sadly..... rip

How do you figure? 

No, it doesn't work that way. Since when? It happens all the time. VW is about to be slapped with a mountain of fines. You really think VW is going to charge all their customers and jack up the prices of their affected cars? No.

Also, we have no idea if the coolers supplied by CM for the Fury X are among those in question. They aren't even mentioned on the list, so at this point it's looking like this won't affect AMD at all. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

If you were Asetek, will you give a discount to AMD now you have the monopoly?

I don't know how moderators allow this crap topics... what is next? Oil barrel drops once again RIP AMD?

But... but.. the 8 pin connector is made of plastic, and plastic is made of oil! RIP AMD.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The world is a vicious place. Opportunity is a window that's open only for a limited period of time.

It's just an AiO. It's something AMD used to differentiate themselfs in the enthusiast market.

Would Asetek piss against the wind just because their penis grew a bit? Maybe, who knows.

The thing is that they wouldn't need to give a discount, they would just need to match CM offer if CM dared to raise the prices.

contrary to popular belief, its actually made of distilled iluminati's

I thought it was made of clubbed baby seals.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

My day would not be complete without a zMuel thread.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Odd that Asetek did not get a complete ban on the products all together. However I doubt it will mean much to prices. They should be down a bit by the time January batches are being made. Actually by then all GPU's in production should be Arctic Island/Greenland GPU's, so it probably won't make any difference anyways.

AMD used Asetek on their great 295x2, and it worked like a charm. The Fury X has had problems due to noisy cheap Cooler Master pumps, so it would have been great to go back to Asetek anyways.

where are you getting that AMD is releasing their next series of GPU's prior to Jan of 2016? most likely those won't release till Summer or the second half of 2016 based on the timing of launch of the Fury series and whenever Nvidia releases Pascal cards to the consumer market (early Summer if Pascal is in the earlier part of the year and second half otherwise). Thinking the "400 series" is coming out any sooner is delusional.

edit: if by production you simply mean build up prior to release then yes I could see that

Asetek does not have monopoly. You cannot have monopoly on AIO's as you have cooling alternatives. Asetek's patents are for exactly what patents were made for: Prevent blatant copying. CM's AIO's are carbon copies of the Asetek patents.

edit: if by production you simply mean build up prior to release then yes I could see that

There we go. Production of the chips happens months in advance of the cards reaching stores. Maybe over half a year. We have no idea if these cards will be AIO cooled or if they will use CM or Asetek if they do. I'd assume the Fury X2 will use an Asetek like the 295x2.

Should start posting anti-nvidia threads. Those would probably get locked straight away, it's made worse by the fact that the OP has a serious penchant for posting anti-AMD bullcrap. Even more so that this isn't likely to affect prices of the Fury X at all.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Should start posting anti-nvidia threads. Those would probably get locked straight away, it's made worse by the fact that the OP has a serious penchant for posting anti-AMD bullcrap. Even more so that this isn't likely to affect prices of the Fury X at all.

I do agree, the purchase agreement is probably for x units or x timeframe and even if it isn't, you probably wont see CM bump the price of their AIO's to oems or consumers for the simple fact Corsair already has a fairly dominant stance in the AIO market (from all the build pics I see of people with Corsair H100's of some form) and if CM bumped up the price of theirs they would be practically pricing themselves out of the market.

I think I should clear up a few misconceptions in this thread.

The original editorial for this article came from GamersNexus, not OC3D.

You can read that here: http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2106-liquid-cooling-lawsuit-could-impact-fury-x

• Asetek sued Coolermaster America and won. Coolermaster America claimed to have completely stopped selling the infringing products and was ordered to pay a 14.5% royalty on all products sold by Coolermaster America in the US. This came out out to ~$400,000.
• Coolermaster was still selling products in the US despite their claims and wasn't including them in the court totals.
• Asetek took Coolermaster back to court for enhanced damages (25.375% of all products sold in the US since January 1st 2015). Asetek won this.
Asetek also won an injunction banning the listed products from sale in the US.
The cooler on the Fury X is very similar to the Seidon 120V (which is part of the successful injunction). This means it could fall under the injunction and might also be banned.
• Asetek has not asked for any royalties from AMD and all of this is still speculation.

This was cleared up by a representative who works for Asetek @ Overclock.net

So to those who don't understand.

This list of products are barred from sale in the United States because of the fact that they infringe upon the cold plate design patented by Asetek:

Seidon 120V
Seidon 120V Plus
Seidon 120M
Seidon 120XL
Nepton 140XL
Seidon 240M
Glacer 240L
Nepton 280L

The cooler used in the Fury X also is based off of this cold plate design, as well as being quite similar to the Seidon 120V. Therefore, there is a possibility that it can also be banned because of falling under the injunction. This obviously has a greater effect on the Fury X than a mere royalty fee. Now this is all still speculation, but something to think about.

Some of these patents are so dumb, a cold plate? Don't pretty much all AIOs use one? I'm going to move to the US and patent my ass, then claim royalties for anyone with an ass. Ridiculous.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Some of these patents are so dumb, a cold plate? Don't pretty much all AIOs use one? Ridiculous.

Someone said the same thing on OCN, this was the exact reply from Asetek:

Asetek introduced the pump on coldplate design, Asetek was awarded a patent. Asetek spent the R&D over the years to improve and refine it in to the modern AIO you know now, Asetek was awarded another patent. On all 29 accounts of infringement involving the patents the jury (real normal people) found the patents to be valid and to be infringed upon.

A pump on a cold plate is ubiquitous now. It was until Asetek did it first.

Coolermaster was especially lazy in their copying of the Asetek design. The components were literally interchangeable.

ka0bnm.jpg