I wrecked my mobo... burned it actually

I am 16 and I have been following tech since my childhood. I really wanted a gaming PC so I researched and bought the parts and decided to assemble it myself. WORST. CHOICE. EVER. I was so sure that I couldn't mess up cause everything goes in a single way in, except one, the one nobody warns about. There was a 4-pin connector coming from my PSU that LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE A FAN CONNECTOR, I thought it was a PWR fan.

I failed to see that PWR_FAN on mobo was 3 pin. Turns out it was a floppy disk connector.... I burnt my mobo. I luckily got a replacement free of cost... phew (I have no idea why they did that). I figured that all the video on youtube for assembling pc's used high end PSU's which probably didn't have this connector thus they forgot to mention it. I did find other people doing the same mistake on the net and getting same results.

My parents are furious at me now cause I could have just straight up burnt their money. They have the right to be though... should have called an engineer. Did you guys mess up your first PC or I am the only ultra stupid one to do so? 

Always read the manual son :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Built first one at 14 not a single problem when building

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

At early AM sometime...years ago...

Epic tiredness/noobness.

I've put a 6pin PCIE power plug into the 4pin motherboard plug....

Killed the motherboard....

giphy.gif

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I am 16 and I have been following tech since my childhood. I really wanted a gaming PC so I researched and bought the parts and decided to assemble it myself. WORST. CHOICE. EVER. I was so sure that I couldn't mess up cause everything goes in a single way in, except one, the one nobody warns about. There was a 4-pin connector coming from my PSU that LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE A FAN CONNECTOR, I thought it was a PWR fan.

I failed to see that PWR_FAN on mobo was 3 pin. Turns out it was a floppy disk connector.... I burnt my mobo. I luckily got a replacement free of cost... phew (I have no idea why they did that). I figured that all the video on youtube for assembling pc's used high end PSU's which probably didn't have this connector thus they forgot to mention it. I did find other people doing the same mistake on the net and getting same results.

My parents are furious at me now cause I could have just straight up burnt their money. They have the right to be though... should have called an engineer. Did you guys mess up your first PC or I am the only ultra stupid one to do so? 

tell your parent that self discovery thru trial and error is just as important as school.  remind em that you could have got in to drugs.  same amount of money as building pcs but not as cool.

I did. Found no mention of a floppy connector.

Most modern PSUs only have maybe 1 floppy connector and it's pretty easy to distinguish from a fan connector and the fan connector would come from the fan not the PSU so it was kinda your fault :/

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Nah, good job. I burnt my friend's PSU, burnt two motherboards with OC'ing(AM3+ 760G). You live and learn, next time you'll do everything correctly. In the long run it's going to pay off( already did, you got your money back).

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

i had no problem my first time building other thn not pushing the ram DIMMs all the way in

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Most modern PSUs only have maybe 1 floppy connector and it's pretty easy to distinguish from a fan connector and the fan connector would come from the fan not the PSU so it was kinda your fault :/

I am talking about the PWR_FAN of psu not a case fan

At early AM sometime...years ago...

Epic tiredness/noobness.

I've put a 6pin PCIE power plug into the 4pin motherboard plug....

Killed the motherboard....

giphy.gif

Good to know I aint the only one.

Nah, good job. I burnt my friend's PSU, burnt two motherboards with OC'ing(AM3+ 760G). You live and learn, next time you'll do everything correctly. In the long run it's going to pay off( already did, you got your money back).

I don't think at all it was worth risking 800$

tell your parent that self discovery thru trial and error is just as important as school.  remind em that you could have got in to drugs.  same amount of money as building pcs but not as cool.

I could have called an engineer and could have done it in front of him.

Why? PCs are not rocket science - electronics are not too hard to understand either - hell - I learned most stuff about PSUs in high school.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I've never actually damaged a computer during the assembly stage.

I guess RTFM? I always do, even after 100+ PC builds/repairs.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

GG, this is why you should check what you're plugging in instead of being cocky and trying to do things with no help.

I am talking about the PWR_FAN of psu not a case fan

What is a PWR fan of a PSU? And why would you need a plug anything into the mobo from the PSU apart from the 24pin and 8pin

Setup

I don't think at all it was worth risking 800$

It paid off at the end. And you have a story to tell to friends :P. From now on you'll be building your PC yourself, witch is cheaper.

Not everything can be calculated if it was worth or it was not. If you would have know that your MB will get burn, then of course it wouldn't be worth. Usually even beginners assemble their PC without major problems. It was fairly safe bet doing it yourself, but shit happens.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Nope I did loads of research and read the manuals that came with everything, I'm also from the time where we actually used floppy disk drives so I know the connector well, regardless... It would of been listed in your manual for the PSU.

Hindsight is a bitch tbh but you can avoid 90% of mistakes in life by reading manuals.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I've had two build and no issues from them. I've taken apart this pc 3-4 times do to un-settling wiring and various cooler changes.

I'm one of those guys who has to have perfect wiring, well... The best I can get out of a semi-modular power supply.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

as an engineer i would have charge a counsultant fee more than the cost of your system build.  next time go slow an use the manual. 

Teach your kids to build computers, and they will never have enough money for drugs.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

Teach your kids to build computers, and they will never have enough money for drugs.

yea its one or the other but not both