Why does Guild Wars 2 have screwed up performance?

AlwaysFSX

Got a i7 3770 and a 970 here, no issues with GW2.

Not sure what your problem may be...I know the game can be very CPU intensive at times, so lowering character and LOD settings may help.

Even dropping all the settings and lowering the resolution to that of a calculator netted the same FPS.

Arenanet can't optimize their games

Seems like a problem.

Stood in LA staring at the bank with about 30 other people sat on 60FPS.

Really can't tell you what's up.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: 32Gb DDR4 Team Group Dark Pro 3k . GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTWx2. Storage: 64GB SSD, 250GB SSD,480GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD. PSU: EVGA Supanova 750W G2. Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black. Screens: Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz & AOC 24" G2460F 144hz. KB: Logi G810 Orion Sprectrum. Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB Audio: Edifier S550's & ASTRO A50's. Console Peasant?: PS4 & XBone.

Stood in LA staring at the bank with about 30 other people sat on 60FPS.

Really can't tell you what's up.

Probably just my computer being typical, everything else runs fine though. <_<

Just had a quick look while stood in the same spot, 

CPU Load is fluctuating between 40-60% and GPU load is sat on 52% @ 52c (It matches, yay!) 

Tempted by that overnight reinstall yet? :P 

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: 32Gb DDR4 Team Group Dark Pro 3k . GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTWx2. Storage: 64GB SSD, 250GB SSD,480GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD. PSU: EVGA Supanova 750W G2. Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black. Screens: Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz & AOC 24" G2460F 144hz. KB: Logi G810 Orion Sprectrum. Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB Audio: Edifier S550's & ASTRO A50's. Console Peasant?: PS4 & XBone.

Probably just my computer being typical, everything else runs fine though. <_<

Have you tried enabling vsync in game and setting the frame limiter to 60?

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Just had a quick look while stood in the same spot, 

CPU Load is fluctuating between 40-60% and GPU load is sat on 52% @ 52c (It matches, yay!) 

Tempted by that overnight reinstall yet? :P

Still not night time. :P

Have you tried enabling vsync in game and setting the frame limiter to 60?

Did, doesn't do anything.

I'm all out of suggestions!

Goodluck and hopefully you'll find something to sort it, I have friends who have 'worse' as it were, hardware than you and they seem to still be alright. :/

Spoiler

I'm all out of suggestions!

Goodluck and hopefully you'll find something to sort it, I have friends who have 'worse' as it were, hardware than you and they seem to still be alright. :/

As I said, it's probably just my computer being itself.. as always.

Forgot to redownload but booted up Guild Wars, runs like normal.

-__-'

Hahaha, Ohwell... 

Least it's all sorted! 

Spoiler

What are your specs btw? Did you say that you have an i3?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Forgot to redownload but booted up Guild Wars, runs like normal.

-__-'

Just for future reference: Nothing you do will ever make GW2 run flawlessly all the time. Even if you OC a 4790k to 4.8ghz and run an overclocked 980 Ti or Fury X, you will still drop to sub 15fps on large boss fights. The game needs reworked to better use high end hardware. Many MMO's make this mistake. Even ESO. You have to edit ESO's .ini file and use injectors to better utilize your high end hardware to the fullest potential. 

I kinda hope that new GW2 patch brings some performance optimizations with it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just for future reference: Nothing you do will ever make GW2 run flawlessly all the time. Even if you OC a 4790k to 4.8ghz and run an overclocked 980 Ti or Fury X, you will still drop to sub 15fps on large boss fights. The game needs reworked to better use high end hardware. Many MMO's make this mistake. Even ESO. You have to edit ESO's .ini file and use injectors to better utilize your high end hardware to the fullest potential. 

Very true for GW2. When @SidewinderB4 were looking at things to help the OP I checked my PC when in game and the CPU was at 40% and the GPUs weren't doing much over 30%...

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Hahaha, Ohwell... 

Least it's all sorted! 

For now at least.

What are your specs btw? Did you say that you have an i3?

i3 2120, Radeon 7850

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing that nobody can really make a game run well. Not even that it looks pretty, but just runs like it's supposed to all the time and actually scales with higher end hardware.

Download MSI Afterburner and check to see if your card is ramping up its core and memory clock from it's idle speeds, when playing GW2.

Download MSI Afterburner and check to see if your card is ramping up its core and memory clock from it's idle speeds, when playing GW2.

Way to completely miss the picture in the FIRST POST.

Way to completely miss the picture in the FIRST POST.

When I first read this thread there was no image being loaded by the forum and there was no info else where in the thread stating that the card was ramping up correctly or not from you.

When I first read this thread there was no image being loaded by the forum and there was no info else where in the thread stating that the card was ramping up correctly or not from you.

You might want to check on your browser then.

Because of ram speed gw2 loads a lot of textures and player models

Because of ram speed gw2 loads a lot of textures and player models

That gets loaded in to video memory..

That gets loaded in to video memory..

Usually yes but not in this game

Edit

Ok seriously though it is using the gpu to an extent like loading the map but all the players the mobs and collisions and conditions are done by the cpu

which does put a strain on the ram i got a hugeee performance boost when i got more ram in my system.

This worked for me when I used to play GW2 on my old notebook...

Turn off the game

Open web browser

Go to YouTube

Open random video

Right click on the video

Go to settings

Disable hardware acceleration

(this worked for me back then but YouTube was still running flash so now there may be no such option so try do it on some flash video for example on kissanime.com I can't check as I am at phone right now).

have you looked at your ping? I noticed mine is around 200

I started gw2 about a fortnight ago now I'm a lv 52 guadian  I have no life

Its all about those volumetric clouds

have you looked at your ping? I noticed mine is around 200

I started gw2 about a fortnight ago now I'm a lv 52 guadian  I have no life

Mines around like 60 to the server.

I just hit 41, you have no life, lol.