Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
On 4/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, RedAV8R said:

What kind of ammo are you planning on running through that?

On 4/10/2018 at 6:33 AM, fpo said:

Is he planning on running ammo at all? 

Well the ammo it takes is 7.5x53.5, There is not surplus ammo or no commercial ammo anymore as it all dried up. Co-worker had 1 round for this rifle and gave it to me. I might shoot it or just put it on display. This rifle looks like it was never shot as there is no wear on the barrel.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

20 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Well the ammo it takes is 7.5x53.5, There is not surplus ammo or no commercial ammo anymore as it all dried up. Co-worker had 1 round for this rifle and gave it to me. I might shoot it or just put it on display. This rifle looks like it was never shot as there is no wear on the barrel.

Wonder how hard it wpuld be to convert one to 6.5x65 RWS...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Wonder how hard it wpuld be to convert one to 6.5x65 RWS...

Just a barrel, perhaps some bolt face work if the cartridge requires it. relatively easy lathe work.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

27 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Just a barrel, perhaps some bolt face work if the cartridge requires it. relatively easy lathe work.

Assuming the magazine feeds properly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I'm really surprised you're not advocating reloading.

<- I have exactly zero idea how much effort it would be to buy or modify brass for that chambering though.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

36 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm really surprised you're not advocating reloading.

<- I have exactly zero idea how much effort it would be to buy or modify brass for that chambering though.

well you can't shove a 6.5mm projectile through a 7.5mm bore and expect great things to happen.

From what i can gather there's only maybe a handful of factory offerings in 6.5x65RWS. I don't know much about either cartridge, but to shoot another cartridge in a smaller diameter bore would require a replacement barrel. If the base diameter is similar, the only other thing to consider would be the extractor design. Brass conversions are pretty simple things, for instance .260rem brass can be made by using a full body die for a 260 Rem and ramming a .308 case into it. other cartridges take a bit more work.

I always advocate reloading where possible.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well you can't shove a 6.5mm projectile through a 7.5mm bore and expect great things to happen.

From what i can gather there's only maybe a handful of factory offerings in 6.5x65RWS. I don't know much about the 7.5x53.5mm, but to shoot another cartridge in a smaller diameter bore would require a replacement barrel. If the base diameter is similar, the only other thing to consider would be the extractor design.

I always advocate reloading where possible.

You misunderstand. I mean reloading for the 7.5x53.5 chambering it's currently in.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

You misunderstand. I mean reloading for the 7.5x53.5 chambering it's currently in.

oh, well, yeah, that's always a possibility. i thought the question was about converting the firearm to 6.5x65 RWS.

System specs:

Bang bang.DSC_0029.thumb.JPG.4f7f4e03cd382cda20025835ebc8df1a.JPG

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Bang bang.DSC_0029.thumb.JPG.4f7f4e03cd382cda20025835ebc8df1a.JPG

I can’t tell if seeing a real RPD is amazing or if it’ll be funnier to watch someone reply with “YOUR GUN SHOULD NOT BE LOADED” 

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

I can’t tell if seeing a real RPD is amazing or if it’ll be funnier to watch someone reply with “YOUR GUN SHOULD NOT BE LOADED” 

It's surprisingly small.

It's also not loaded, I pulled the first three rounds from the belt, just for the picture.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

The only times a gun shouldn't be loaded are as follows:

• When cleaning
  • When giving to another person
  • When you just finished firing it

:D

So here is the best specimen of a pistol anyone has ever seen!2D0B173B-C1D8-499C-9FF1-D07CBBB6FC87.thumb.jpeg.0d35ecf90f4dcdbacd97160ea272edd1.jpeg

yes, a Bryco Arms Jennings J-22-CA.

I got it from my uncle, I traded my Raven Arms MP-25 for it.  

Now, this gun is cheap, and it’s not reliable.  It’s very picky on ammo, and it jams up a lot.  I asked my uncle about it, and he said the best luck he had was with .22 LR from CCI and I want to say Winchester and Federal ammo.  He said for CCI he couldn’t remember if it was mini-mag or Stinger .22 LR.  I’ll find out next time I shoot, as I bought a box of CCI mini-mags.  

I’m honestly hoping it works, cause when it does feed properly, it’s a fun little pistol.  Plus, imo, it’s appealing to look at.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

10 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

So here is the best specimen of a pistol anyone has ever seen!2D0B173B-C1D8-499C-9FF1-D07CBBB6FC87.thumb.jpeg.0d35ecf90f4dcdbacd97160ea272edd1.jpeg

Now, this gun is cheap, and it’s not reliable.  It’s very picky on ammo, and it jams up a lot.  I asked my uncle about it, and he said the best luck he had was with .22 LR from CCI and I want to say Winchester and Federal ammo.  He said for CCI he couldn’t remember if it was mini-mag or Stinger .22 LR.  I’ll find out next time I shoot, as I bought a box of CCI mini-mags.  

I’m honestly hoping it works, cause when it does feed properly, it’s a fun little pistol.  Plus, imo, it’s appealing to look at.

It kinda looks like a hammerless Walther P5.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

So here is the best specimen of a pistol anyone has ever seen!

Sounds about like the Walther P22. With a proper grip it'd feed about anything for me, but with anything subpar grip wise, you'd have to use CCI Stingers to get it to function. Never had any issues with the Ruger SR22.

42 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

Sounds about like the Walther P22. With a proper grip it'd feed about anything for me, but with anything subpar grip wise, you'd have to use CCI Stingers to get it to function. Never had any issues with the Ruger SR22.

Well Ruger knows how to make .22 firearms.  This Bryco Arms is the quintessential “Saturday night special” pistol.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Well Ruger knows how to make .22 firearms.  This Bryco Arms is the quintessential “Saturday night special” pistol.

Yeah, my buddy literally just threw his Jennings in his fireplace to melt down. Did a good job I hear.

So, Dick's Sporting Goods inserted proverbial foot into proverbial mouth again.  They just announced that, in addition to removing those scary "assault-style weapons" from their Field & Stream chain of stores, they'll be destroying the entire inventory - along with varying accessories such as magazines - once shipped to their distribution centers.

I sense an impending stock holders lawsuit coming.  There's no way they can adequately be compensated for that inventory loss.  Even if they sell the metal for scrap (which I believe I read they intended to), it's still going to be far less than the value of the guns themselves.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So, Dick's Sporting Goods inserted proverbial foot into proverbial mouth again.  They just announced that, in addition to removing those scary "assault-style weapons" from their Field & Stream chain of stores, they'll be destroying the entire inventory - along with varying accessories such as magazines - once shipped to their distribution centers.

I sense an impending stock holders lawsuit coming.  There's no way they can adequately be compensated for that inventory loss.  Even if they sell the metal for scrap (which I believe I read they intended to), it's still going to be far less than the value of the guns themselves.

Yeah they've killed what little reason there is to go to their shitty store.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yeah they've killed what little reason there is to go to their store.

One just recently opened up nearby, and I was considering going there for my ammo needs since both Scheel's and DEGuns (where I usually buy my guns and ammo) are a considerable drive for me.  One on the other side of town, and the other one outside of the city limits.  Looks like I'll still be making those long drives.

Just now, Jito463 said:

One just recently opened up nearby, and I was considering going there for my ammo needs since both Scheel's and DEGuns (where I usually buy my guns and ammo) are a considerable drive for me.  One on the other side of town, and the other one outside of the city limits.  Looks like I'll still be making those long drives.

Thankfully, Cabela's is roughly 24 minutes away, Sportman's Warehouse 10 minutes, and MidwayUSA ships fast.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah they've killed what little reason there is to go to their shitty store.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

This just makes me even more happy for my local store.

I honestly hope that the IRS doesn’t let them write this off on taxes.  They aren’t donating the guns, they aren’t returning them.  They’re just destroying them to be virtue signaling asshats.

Weren’t they going to return them to the manufacturers earlier? 

The people that don’t like the “assault guns” probably don’t even shop at dicks. I can’t picture someone protesting guns to then go fishing. 

Dicks...FWIW...I can't see them having THAT large an inventory for 35 stores. So what maybe less than 500 and that's figuring around 15 per store, which not sure how many one carried, but couldn't be THAT much. Figure they were mostly cheap POS rifles anyway...certainly under a half mil loss. Which for 'publicity' is marketing in one way or another.

For a chain as large as Dicks...Sure a half mil is a decent amount, but not really... I work in manufacturing...We've thrown away a half mil in product for QA reasons without much of a bat of an eye. Still making money.

55 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

Dicks...FWIW...I can't see them having THAT large an inventory for 35 stores. So what maybe less than 500 and that's figuring around 15 per store, which not sure how many one carried, but couldn't be THAT much. Figure they were mostly cheap POS rifles anyway...certainly under a half mil loss. Which for 'publicity' is marketing in one way or another.

For a chain as large as Dicks...Sure a half mil is a decent amount, but not really... I work in manufacturing...We've thrown away a half mil in product for QA reasons without much of a bat of an eye. Still making money.

Both my local Cabelas and Sportmans warehouse have 30 rifles on display. Some $700 M&P15's, some $2500+. A few are just single rifles, but most of the ones on display, they have another 5-10 in the back. I can see Dickhead's losing a pretty penny over this.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.