The gaming community is full of BS

TheMechEngineer

I have an laptop with i5 4200U and GT750M. It doesn't run nearly as fast as my PC. My school has i5 3470 PCs and they run much worse than mine (both have SSD)

mobile chip are not equivalent to desktop chips. fyi

How mobile i7 CPUs work (information guide) - CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory - Linus Tech Tips

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

MYTH #2: Overclocking your CPU from 3.4GHz to 4.8GHz increases game performance substantially.

Overclocking does bugger-all to help game performance.

Of course, this is very similar to myth #1, so....refer to the above.

But I know from _experience_ that this is the case. I have a Core 2 Duo gaming rig that I overclocked from 3.0GHz to 4.0GHz, which is a decent 33% increase in speed.

Testing with FurMark revealed that overclocking had yielded precisely bugger-all performance in FPS. We're literally talking an average of 21fps initially vs. 21fps after overclocking. Where's the massive performance gains, eh?

So essentially you're using much more electricity, producing much more heat, spending much more money on water cooling and shit to gain precisely....nothing.

What a bargain.

Overclocking your cpu definetly increases your performance in instances where the CPU is the bottleneck. Of course it won't make a single damn difference if your GPU is the bottleneck... sheesh guys, stop pretending like CPU isn't important.

CPU becomes very important for people with high refresh rate monitors, we hit the CPU bottleneck a hell of a lot more than people who aim to get 60 FPS. Overclocking has DIRECT AND LINEAR impact on your FPS when CPU is the bottleneck (GTA V, CS:GO, Planetside 2, etc). I have tested this myself.

Overclocking will benefit more people that play online games at a high refresh rate.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

Overclocking your cpu definetly increases your performance in instances where the CPU is the bottleneck. Of course it won't make a single damn difference if your GPU is the bottleneck... sheesh guys, stop pretending like CPU isn't important.

CPU becomes very important for people with high refresh rate monitors, we hit the CPU bottleneck a hell of a lot more than people who aim to get 60 FPS. Overclocking has DIRECT AND LINEAR impact on your FPS when CPU is the bottleneck (GTA V, CS:GO, Planetside 2, etc).

Overclocking will benefit more people that play online games at a high refresh rate.

what i take issue with is newbies who insist on overclocking like its the bees knees of the bat when they will have minimal benefit...there is a reason to run stuff in spec especially if your a newbie.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

You're not entirely correct on overclocking. :)

Most modern games are primarily GPU-bound, meaning that you are unlikely to notice a performance limitation resultant of your CPU as your GPU will encounter a limitation beforehand. RTS and MMO games are a good example of this kind of thing, where they are usually very CPU-bound and for older ones even significantly (or entirely) single threaded. In such a case, overclocking your CPU might actually yield a decent performance benefit.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

MYTH #1: You need an 18-core processor to get the best framerate possible.

This is #1 because it pisses me off so much. If it's the job of the CPU to increase framerate, then what's the graphics card doing?

Here's a hands-on experiment to try: Start up the most resource-intense game you have, and play it with Task Manager running in the background. After a while, check out the CPU usage.

Shock horror!! The CPU is doing almost _nothing_. Damn right it's doing nothing. If this myth were real, you'd think the CPU would be pegged out at 100% usage, but this is nonsense.

When you buy a standalone graphics card, it's the GPU that does all the work. That's why it's a....y'know....standalone card with it's own memory, and all that.

Before some people start mouthing off and asking about running a GTX Titan X SLI setup with an Intel Celeron. YES there are limits to this argument. It would be stupid to do that.

But if you're getting an 18-core processor expecting to get higher framerates, you're badly mistaken.

MYTH #2: Overclocking your CPU from 3.4GHz to 4.8GHz increases game performance substantially.

Overclocking does bugger-all to help game performance.

Of course, this is very similar to myth #1, so....refer to the above.

But I know from _experience_ that this is the case. I have a Core 2 Duo gaming rig that I overclocked from 3.0GHz to 4.0GHz, which is a decent 33% increase in speed.

Testing with FurMark revealed that overclocking had yielded precisely bugger-all performance in FPS. We're literally talking an average of 21fps initially vs. 21fps after overclocking. Where's the massive performance gains, eh?

So essentially you're using much more electricity, producing much more heat, spending much more money on water cooling and shit to gain precisely....nothing.

What a bargain.

In January I tested #1 myself because I noticed that my cards (2x 770s in SLI) weren't running optimally and I was worried that the CPU (i5-2500) might be bottlenecking them.

I fired up Cities:Skylines and once my city reached 100k residents, my CPU was pegged at 100% whilst the GPU usage was around 50%.

Then I fired up Assetto Corsa and went into a 50-car race on Spa in the rain. CPU usage was around 70-75% with peaks up to 90% whilst the GPUs were running at 100%.

WoW was also very taxing on the CPU when you were in crowded cities, basically tanking the framerate while the cards were below 50% usage, whereas the same CPU was basically picking its nose when there were no players in your area.

During 40-player raids the CPU usage would also be in the 80-95% region.

Some games are just more CPU-intensive than others.

As for #2, if you're playing a more CPU-intensive game and maxing out your CPU, that overclock CAN make a difference.

If my 2500 were running at the stock 3.3GHz instead of 3.8, it would be in the 90% range in Assetto Corsa and occasionally max out, momentarily tanking the framerate.

It would also really slow down Cities:Skylines.

Also it would hit the 100% mark sooner in WoW than it did now, which isn't so much a problem in cities as it is in raids. You don't want your framerate to tank or your PC to momentarily freeze in the middle of a boss fight.

I'm comparing it to the one guy who said I can get any cheap celeron dual-core and I won't see the performance difference. I think my laptop is better than a cheap celeron dual-core, so there would be huge difference.

The one that gets me lately is all these kids perpetuating "bottleneck" "is my system bottlenecks" "does my kb bottleneck" "bottlenexs"

THEY ARENT USING THE TERM RIGHT, AND ON TOP OF THAT ARE GIVING OUT TERRIBLE ADVICE.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The one that gets me lately is all these kids perpetuating "bottleneck" "is my system bottlenecks" "does my kb bottleneck" "bottlenexs"

THEY ARENT USING THE TERM RIGHT, AND ON TOP OF THAT ARE GIVING OUT TERRIBLE ADVICE.

Bottle necks in general have become more important than they actually are. Its really rare to have bottleneck either way in new build for example. I just wish they would all disappear.

(Note: I have bottleneck in my system, older GPU with i7)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bottle necks in general have become more important than they actually are. Its really rare to have bottleneck either way in new build for example. I just wish they would all disappear.

(Note: I have bottleneck in my system, older GPU with i7)

Every system everywhere has bottlenecks.  Every.  Single.  One.  Even new ones.  You're talking about being resource starved, not a bottleneck.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I thought brightly colored led fans gave you the more gighertz and maximum fps......

sarcasm 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

This is why my PC is a PS4, them 1.6ghz 8 core APU raping the Skylake and GCN 1.2!!!! up in da hud

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

I've never encountered any of those "myths".

In fact, in the few times I've seen them, they were mostly jokes.

The gaming community does have a ton of fanboys, but is not full of BS like the examples you give, it looks like you went and cherry picked the worst and tried to pass is as the standard.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I thought brightly colored led fans gave you the more gighertz and maximum fps......

sarcasm 

.5 for red, .75 for white, and 1.0 for blue in gigahertz per fan. As for fps, you get alls the fps with LED fans.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I hate it when someone has SLI graphics cards, locked processor and Z series motherboard, gets told to not get the Z series. Come on. Z series are the only ones supporting SLI!

I have a Z97 which (I think) doesnt support SLI.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

This is why my PC is a PS4, them 1.6ghz 8 core APU raping the Skylake and GCN 1.2!!!! up in da hud

No 60 fps on big titles for you mate.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

I definitely have some friends that fit the "Gamers that don't know BS" description. About a year ago, one of my friends convinced his parents to buy him an AUD$2700 rig. I was asking him about it over Skype and he couldn't tell me anything about it... Except that he was getting around 1,200fps in Minecraft. I kept getting him that it didn't matter unless his monitors had a high refresh rate. He had no idea what that meant, so I got him to read it the model number on his monitors (he had two), and I found out he was using acer 60Hz monitors...

*facepalm*

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha I like this rant, I sometimes feel the same, seeing all this meaningless benchmarks :)

I rememeber reading once RAM tests and guy has done really funny comment there, I can't remember exactly how he put it but it was something about overclocking the fridge, so what if it cools by 1 degree better is there any real advantage of it? :)

Some people will spend lots of money just to get 1-2 fps more which is madness!!

I definitely have some friends that fit the "Gamers that don't know BS" description. About a year ago, one of my friends convinced his parents to buy him an AUD$2700 rig. I was asking him about it over Skype and he couldn't tell me anything about it... Except that he was getting around 1,200fps in Minecraft. I kept getting him that it didn't matter unless his monitors had a high refresh rate. He had no idea what that meant, so I got him to read it the model number on his monitors (he had two), and I found out he was using acer 60Hz monitors...

*facepalm*

what specs?

The worst thing about the "gaming community"

the kids who got their parents to buy them 3 980 Ti's, I7 5690 n shit. And pretend as if they have the right to call you a peasant for not having a high end PC.

example: "lul me mum bought me 980 ti pleb throw away that 780 ti it's shit m9 can't run minesweeper lol"

:/

I haven't hear anything like this before. You need to hang with another crowd my man. 

Did you try turning it on and off first?

Jesus fucking Christ where the hell did you hear all that bullshit? Battlelog?

I made an account just now to defend that battlelog is not a cesspool and that you should respect all the intellectual bs made on the PC section as they are sound advice for people getting into PC gaming. You DO need at least an i7 4790K and a gtx 980 to play battlefield unless you want to be a scrub on the field. 

I understand why you felt compelled to write this, people are spending way too much on CPUs, high end cooling and mobos with the expectancy of a better gaming experience and it just doesn't work like that. I have to disagree, at least partially with the RAM speed myth, since for people using integrated graphics, which are quiet a few, there are substantial gains of using higher speed memory. Also, overclocking the CPU won't give you tangible gaming gains, that's true, but then you go against Z mobos and idk, seems odd since just before you stablished that overclocking is not necesary, therefore, that argument, following your logic, is not pertinent to gaming. Just giving my opinion, i assume you were looking for a civilized conversation by posting this. 

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I made an account just now to defend that battlelog is not a cesspool and that you should respect all the intellectual bs made on the PC section as they are sound advice for people getting into PC gaming. You DO need at least an i7 4790K and a gtx 980 to play battlefield unless you want to be a scrub on the field.

That optimisation sounds awful. And it sounds stupid and entitled...