Nintendo attacking speedrunners

SImoHayha

In recent news a youtuber by the name of  PangaeaPanga has had his youtube channel completely butchered by Nintendo very recently. By butchered nearly 80 percent of his youtube channel has be taken down.

Due to the fact he played super mario games with tool assisted hacks or hacked ROMS  of Super Mario.

He received this Email from Nintendo when his channel was getting multiple copyright strikes

"
We wish to inform you that the videos in question infringe Nintendo's copyrights. As the owner of the copyright in the games:
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario World
, and
Pokémon
, Nintendo has the exclusive right to perform the games publicly or to make derivative works based on the games. By making a derivative work using Nintendo's IP, and then displaying Nintendo's IP on your YouTube channel, you have violated Nintendo's exclusive rights.

Nintendo understands that its fans are the reason for its success, and we are always happy to see people share their passion for Nintendo's games. At the same time, Nintendo's intellectual property constitutes its most valuable assets, and the unauthorized use of these assets jeopardizes Nintendo's rights. Because of this, we ask that you please remove the video in question from your channel, and confirm that you will not post any videos using unauthorized software or copies of games, distribute or continue work on the modification, or take any other steps that would infringe Nintendo's rights.

Nintendo encourages fan engagement on YouTube through the Nintendo Creators Program. Under the program, participants are granted a license to use Nintendo’s characters, games, and other intellectual property, subject to the Code of Conduct included with the agreement.

However, please note that this Code of Conduct prohibits you, among other things, from posting any content using unauthorized software or copies of games. This includes videos featuring tool-assisted speedruns, which require making a copy of a game's ROM file, and running the copied ROM through an emulator. If you are interested in learning more about the Nintendo Creators Program, please see:

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Anti-Piracy Team
"

Personally I think this is pretty stupid and childish in my mind, Nintendo is like that one special kid in kindergarten that had all the Crayons and wouldn't share with anyone and kept them to himself.

Many game companies could care less about someone making money off of their game as it's seen as free advertisement, not to mention if it's a famous youtuber or a youtuber with many subscribers, usually many people will purchase that game. Because watching someone playing a game isn't as fun in most cases, compared to actually playing yourself. Except scary games I don't like scary games lol.

Nintendo is just really infamous for being assholes on YouTube. Am surprised that they don't get rid of Super Smash Bro's game play from youtubers not part of the creator program.Special mention is that on the creator program whitelist, Smash Bro's isn't even on it or Bayonetta 2 like WTF!? those two are popular games.

Nintendo really needs to get their act together when it comes to this YouTube stuff, they can't understand free advertisement or something. What's next ? removing any video that makes them look bad or exposes them?

Your thoughts ? Post below.

Sources : http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-s-cracking-down-on-speedrunning-and-rom-hacking-videos-310152.phtml

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/09/11/nintendo-cracking-down-on-speed-runners-and-roms/

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/09/nintendo-cracking-down-on-youtubers-again/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-targets-speedrunners-with-youtube-copyright-claims/

Edited by Ramamataz

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

WTF Nintendo? Destroying what is essentially advertising that cost you not a dime to make and ruining the community for literally nobody's benefit...?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

WTF Nintendo? Destroying what is essentially advertising that cost you not a dime to make and ruining the community for literally nobody's benefit...?

It's not about 'free advertising' to me, it's about them committing PR suicide. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

"Nintendo attacking speedrunners" - I feel sorry for Sonic.

Nintendo needs to work harder on their PR

Ijvx4gD.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Nintendo is like that one special kid in kindergarten that had all the Crayons and wouldn't share with anyone and kept them to himself.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Dude fuck em. People keep defending them for some reason.

IDC if it's' their right', they're dicks. Fuck em. Seriously. 

Nintendo does a lot of things right, this is not one of them.

I wouldn't even call it "their right".  If this were trademark law, then yes, it would excuse their zeal, but this is insane as they are the only company does this.

Nintendo just keeps on digging.

oh, for some reason i was thinking of the game speedrunners, now i get it

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I read through their Nintendo Creator's Program and it seems like they are trying to be legit and share any ads with the people making the video's. They even state that Nintendo gets all the ad revenue per YouTube's rules. 

I think the issue is the hacked ROM's.

They actually don't have the sole rights to derivative works, that not how copyright works. they flat out lied in that letter.

Yes if they weren't using a rom, the fact that they're work was pirated to produce the derived work null's that protection. Not that I support copyright just pointing out some legal info.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

They actually don't have the sole rights to derivative works, that not how copyright works. they flat out lied in that letter.

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

[...]

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

[...]

Nintendo is like that one special kid in kindergarten that had all the Crayons and wouldn't share with anyone and kept them to himself.

? lel what that suppose to be something?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

So, how is YouTube Gaming coming along? Cause this is something they should have fixed first before doing game streams.

Guess SGDQ and AGDQ won't ever be streamed on YouTube Gaming.

Hold up, it could very well be costing Nintendo a dime or two, but I'd like to see the videos in question before making a full judgement.

If the original uploader was explicitly using ROMs and making it very clear in his videos that he was, say he was recording his desktop and showed multiple ROMs and emulators, then I'd see why Nintendo would want the videos down, he could potentially be informing consumers about the existence and easy to obtain nature of Nintendo ROMs and cost Nintendo a number in sales.

If the uploader didn't explicitly show he was using ROMs, and only displayed the actual gameplay with maybe some cheats added in, then it was definitely a dick move from Nintendo.

EDIT: Man, you're all jumping on your guns, accusing Nintendo of being evil without questioning the idea. It could very well be possible that Nintendo is genuinely protecting their property and stopping the spread of ROMs and cheating with 'em.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Nintendo needs to work harder on their PR

They really need to speed up to stay in tune with the times

tumblr_lze4a5p8DD1qd8o02o1_400.gif

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hold up, it could very well be costing Nintendo a dime or two, but I'd like to see the videos in question before making a full judgement.

If the original uploader was explicitly using ROMs and making it very clear in his videos that he was, say he was recording his desktop and showed multiple ROMs and emulators, then I'd see why Nintendo would want the videos down, he could potentially be informing consumers about the existence and easy to obtain nature of Nintendo ROMs and cost Nintendo a number in sales.

If the uploader didn't explicitly show he was using ROMs, and only displayed the actual gameplay with maybe some cheats added in, then it was definitely a dick move from Nintendo.

EDIT: Man, you're all jumping on your guns, accusing Nintendo of being evil without questioning the idea. It could very well be possible that Nintendo is genuinely protecting their property and stopping the spread of ROMs and cheating with 'em.

Over a game that is 30+ years  old ?

Over a game that is 30+ years  old ?

Usually games like the original Mario Bros are available on Nintendo's e-shops for download.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Usually games like the original Mario Bros are available on Nintendo's e-shops for download.

Ok and? I didn't nintendo throwing a huge tantrum over goddamn Tiwitch plays pokemon.

I bet this has everything to do with super mario maker. Of course nintendo acted in the most dickish way possible.  Instead of collaborating with these people to showcase the power of the super mario maker, they just continue to shoot themselves in the foot since they still stuck in the stone age.