Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

In that case, it would be 1TB of storage, not memory. ;) 

Memory = RAM.

that's where you're wrong.

memory = volatile memory AND non-volatile memory, that includes any type of storage.

That's just general misconception that memory is equal ONLY to RAM.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Erm, no.  Hard disk is ROM (read only [wait for it wait for it] memory).

memory = volatile memory AND non-volatile memory, that includes any type of storage.

Typically, it is understood that "memory" refers to system RAM (random access memory) not storage.

When you ask someone "How much memory does your PC have?" the correct answer should be, "To which are you referring; system RAM or storage?". But most PC-savvy people won't even ask that, they'll assume you mean system RAM and give the capacity of their system RAM. I have rarely ever heard anyone among the PC community refer to system storage as "memory".

It's a technicality, really.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

"Where is the Any Key?"

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Typically, it is understood that "memory" refers to system RAM (random access memory) not storage.

When you ask someone "How much memory does your PC have?" the correct answer should be, "To which are you referring; system RAM or storage?". But most PC-savvy people won't even ask that, they'll assume you mean system RAM and give the capacity of their system RAM. I have rarely ever heard anyone among the PC community refer to system storage as "memory".

I know, but like I said, saying his Xbox has 1TB of memory isn't wrong, but I understand why some people are confused.

But like I said, if the person DOES have a 1TB HDD then he's not wrong. What's wrong is thinking he's talking about RAM when OBVIOUSLY he's talking about the hard drive.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have rarely ever heard anyone among the PC community refer to system storage as "memory".

So you agree it's not really wrong (just unusual)?

Hardly worth castigating a non-techie if what they have said isn't really wrong just unusual.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

What's wrong is thinking he's talking about RAM when OBVIOUSLY he's talking about the hard drive.

Perhaps we should remove all doubt and say " it has 1TB of ROM and 8GB of RAM" or " a 1TB hard drive and 8GB of system memory" or...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I know, but like I said, saying his Xbox has 1TB of memory isn't wrong, but I understand why some people are confused.

But like I said, if the person DOES have a 1TB HDD then he's not wrong. What's wrong is thinking he's talking about RAM when OBVIOUSLY he's talking about the hard drive.

So you agree it's not really wrong (just unusual)?

Hardly worth castigating a non-techie if what they have said isn't really wrong just unusual.

I agree, technically it's not wrong. But in the context that it's generally assumed by most where "memory" is referring to system RAM, it is wrong. ;)

Like both of you said, it depends on what the person is referring to. If my friend told me his XboxOne had 1TB of memory, I'd respond with the question, "Are you talking about system RAM or storage?".

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Why are you  discussing this when you dont need ram?

bro.. minecraft devs are becoming lazy, maybe in a few years we will need 16 gb to play it properly.

the dev of optifine (a mod that makes minecraft better looking, that adds tons of video settings and that ups your framerate) said that the devs are lazy with memory usage

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272953-1-8-8-optifine-hd-f3-fps-boost-hd-textures?page=2111#c43757

Great irrelivant link to 2014....

I just remembered, I know people who in real life think the "thing on the floor" is called the Hard Drive. So it's not just Jen.

My mother-in-law keeps referring to her PC (the tower) as a "hard drive". -_-

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I suppose you answered "because I'm awesome, and to reach this level you had to be born this way".  :lol:

Or say that you run mouse without borders

My friend's mom always tried to download more storage space. Lol

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

Someone at school told me he needs a new graphics card (he only knows what that is because I told him). So he asked me what budget, but solid card he should get. So I said 'you should get a GTX 750ti or 950. He told me has a GTX 850. (facepalm) On top of that, he has a dell laptop.

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

"Network cable color code is RGB.........."

(It's White blue, W orange, W green, W brown if you didn't know.)

woah woah woah..  w/o,o,w/g,b,w/b,g,w/b,b    what kinda cable are you making?

"Antivirus are a scam, all they do is attract virus"

im still convince nortons is a virus

I know people who type GOOGLE into the chrome omnibox, so they could get to google and do their search. 

i actually catch myself doing that occasionally when im not really paying attention   xD

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I do all my gaming on an older ASUS monitor with 1440 x 900 resolution. Seriously, not even 1080p.

It might seem dumb when my other (more powerful) computer has a far bigger screen.

But I'm an engineer who uses just enough energy and resources to get the job done to a satisfactory standard, so you won't ever see me playing Minecraft on an overclocked Core i7 5960X with 64GB DDR4 RAM and two Titan X's in SLI.

It's a stark contrast to many retarded gamers out there who just want all the power known to mankind and build the most overkill gaming rigs ever known to mankind.

on my only rig which is still quite good my monitor is a hp 1600X900 tn display that game with my old 300 dollar hp desktop annnnd it has about 5 dead pixels

My mother-in-law keeps referring to her PC (the tower) as a "hard drive". -_-

Man , that must be HARD to bare , she might be DRIVING you nuts :DDD.

lel got punz for days bro :D !

(⌐■_■) 

woah woah woah..  w/o,o,w/g,b,w/b,g,w/b,b    what kinda cable are you making?

Ethernet ribbon 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Someone at school told me he needs a new graphics card (he only knows what that is because I told him). So he asked me what budget, but solid card he should get. So I said 'you should get a GTX 750ti or 950. He told me has a GTX 850. (facepalm) On top of that, he has a dell laptop.

If he has a Laptop, then he could possibly have an GTX850m. The 800 series is only mobile GPUs and not desktop cards. Good luck replacing the one in a laptop though, its soldered to the Mobo

If he has a Laptop, then he could possibly have an GTX850m. The 800 series is only mobile GPUs and not desktop cards. Good luck replacing the one in a laptop though, its soldered to the Mobo

No problem at all! For example:

Customer: "Where can I get a BIOS upgrade for by 286 computer?"

Tech Support: "The unit should have been shipped with the latest bios."

Customer: "Well, I upgraded the processor myself, and my computer doesn't seem to work."

Tech Support: "What did you upgrade the processor to?"

Customer: "I upgraded it to a 486DX-50."

Tech Support: "Sir...the 286 chip is soldered on the motherboard!"

Customer: "I know, I took out my handy soldering iron and took it out and put the 486 on myself."

Tech Support: "Sir, the 486 is bigger than the 286."

Customer: "I know, I had to use quite a bit of solder to solder the extra pins together."

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Some of my friends get really confused when I say that yes, I am able to run Windows and the sort of programs that the school computers run on a machine I built myself. Mind blow.

One of my friends previously showed me a photo of a GT 730 on eBay and asked me whether he could put it into his laptop so he could run farming simulator better.

Sig under construction.