Can I boost my PSU or something?

Well... I bought this HX750 in 2013 because I was told it was the only PSU I would need in my system. Through all this time 'till yesterday I used a Radeon HD 6770 1GB but now I got this new GTX970 G1 Gaming by Gigabyte, who claims it requires at least 550w or higher to run. Mine is higher.

About a month ago a friend of mine had this low quality Chinese 1000w PSU that died because of his AMD R280x by Visiontek, that claimed it needed at least 750w PSU to run. We tested that card on my system. As soon as I open a game or a benchmark app the PSU began to make noises and after a while it shuts down. I asked in the forums of Corsair and they said my PSU was fine. That the GC had some sort of issue that made it power-hungry. 

I kind of felt better about buying my 970 in the next days because that meant my PSU was fine and wouldn't have problems with the GC. I couldn't be more wrong.

I can't open anything that demands the GPU to work for it shuts down right away. Elsewhere someone told me it could be an error in some driver or configuration, but cannot think of something I can do if that's so ever. 

By the way I have a bunch of drives and peripherals connected. up to like 5 drives in daisy chain to my PSU, previously a 1GB 6pin-connector GC and 7 1200mm fans. everything worked nice and steady until these GGs appeared. 

Contact corsair

a chinese "1000w" (more like 250) would have issues

a HX is decent quality and should have no issues contact corsair 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1) never buy a low quality chinese PSU, your friend is not smart

2) a 280x does not need 750W

3) 750W is enoug for two 970s and a bunch of drives so there is either an issue with your system or your PSU

a corsair PSU is not some cheap low quality chinese PSU so this should not be happening

contact corsair, maybe RMA, or maybe its a problem with something else in your system

you can troubleshoot by trial and error, disconnect everything unnecessary and run some stress test to see if it keeps happening

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The cheap low quality PSU was my friend's. Mine is the Corsair HX.

My GPU is a i5-2500k and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X UD5H with 32GB DIMM Value Selected Corsair 1333MHz 

The cheap low quality PSU was my friend's. Mine is the Corsair HX.

My GPU is a i5-2500k and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X UD5H with 32GB DIMM Value Selected Corsair 1333MHz 

You can run a 2500k and 970 on 450w psu 

The R9-280X might have had an issue in it that broke your friend's PSU and now yours. I'd see to it before sacrificing more PSUs to it.

The R9-280X might have had an issue in it that broke your friend's PSU and now yours. I'd see to it before sacrificing more PSUs to it.

How could I be sure? Any possible fix? Could it avoid the warranty?

If you want to know how much your PC uses in terms of power, you could just buy an energy meter from your local hardware store
Should look something like this
image_8_0.png

Tells you exactly how much power the system uses, so you know if the graphic card really is using more power than it should.

Try removing your graphic card again, and reseat it in, plug the power connectors properly again and retest. Sometimes it could just be slightly angled and not making good contact. Or like @Naeaes said, it "might" be possible that the GPU of your friend was faulty and somehow broke your PSU as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The recommended power isn't what the card actually uses. It just guesses a average system, and adds the card, and even the highest end titan x, and the 290x(and 390x) use 250W's, so the 280X will probs use around 200W's or so.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

I still think its under powerd, you can use a second psu and hotwire it only for the gpu.

Don't you just love tech?

I still think its under powerd, you can use a second psu and hotwire it only for the gpu.

you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. how can it be done? Im pretty sure it is not recommended but could any harm be done or how risky it is?

you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. how can it be done? Im pretty sure it is not recommended but could any harm be done or how risky it is?

We did this loads off times on our mining rigs, the following steps must be followed:

* i think to remind that there has to be something connected for the psu to start, you can try it out with an old cd player.

1. Bend the length or wire or paper clip so that it forms the shape of a tall narrow U.

2. Locate a green wire on the large 20 or 24 pin motherboard connector from the PSU.

3. Insert one end of the paper clip or wire into the socket the green wire is connected to.

4. Insert the remaining end of the wire or paper clip into the nearest socket with a black wire attached. If the PSU is functional, this will cause the PSU to power on. Remove the wire or paper clip to shut the PSU down.

atx.jpg

Don't you just love tech?

That suggestion is not a good idea.

Your PSU is more than enough for your config.

Option 1:

GPU has an issue.

Option 2:

The PSU needs to be RMA'd if it doesn't deliver enough power in this case, because it should.

It's as easy as that.

EDIT: reading the post again, since it can't even power a 970 now definitely RMA it.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

Do you still have that old GPU? If I was you I'd try to connect old GPU and run a stress test to see if it works. Maybe even try different PCI-E slot. You can try to use linux from USB stick just to eliminate possible driver issues just to eliminate some of the options.

If it still doesn't work I'd guess your PSU has an issue so try to RMA it

you sure the chinese wasnt a superflower?

i3 4170 : Asus R9 270 : MSI h81M-Pro VD : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO : Seagate Barracuda 1TB : NZXT Source 210 : Some Random RAM

Do you still have that old GPU? If I was you I'd try to connect old GPU and run a stress test to see if it works. Maybe even try different PCI-E slot. You can try to use linux from USB stick just to eliminate possible driver issues just to eliminate some of the options.

If it still doesn't work I'd guess your PSU has an issue so try to RMA it

I still have it, actually I switch back to my old trusty one for I had some work to do and couldn't rely on the gtx... and with this the PSU works fine, no problem. im running Win10 and OS X (hackintosh) and in both have issues. have 2 monitors, one DP and other VGI and after wake up (in windows) it loses the DP signal. In OS X happens otherwise. 

you sure the chinese wasnt a superflower?

And no, was an Omega. Not sure which one is worse. 

Guess gonna try to RMA it

I still have it, actually I switch back to my old trusty one for I had some work to do and couldn't rely on the gtx... and with this the PSU works fine, no problem. im running Win10 and OS X (hackintosh) and in both have issues. have 2 monitors, one DP and other VGI and after wake up (in windows) it loses the DP signal. In OS X happens otherwise. 

And no, was an Omega. Not sure which one is worse. 

Guess gonna try to RMA it

It might be windows 10 issue with waking up and losing signal, especially if it doesn't appear in OS X (I'm guessing that "otherwise" means you don't have problems in OSX).

But if the older card works, and the new doesn't using the same connectors, I'd say that your new GTX card has troubles (I'd guess that it can't spread power across the card or something) and the PSU is fine. If I was you I'd run to a friend's house and test your GPU there, but I don't know if that's an option

It might be windows 10 issue with waking up and losing signal, especially if it doesn't appear in OS X (I'm guessing that "otherwise" means you don't have problems in OSX).

But if the older card works, and the new doesn't using the same connectors, I'd say that your new GTX card has troubles (I'd guess that it can't spread power across the card or something) and the PSU is fine. If I was you I'd run to a friend's house and test your GPU there, but I don't know if that's an option

By 'otherwise' I meant it keeps the VGA display signal while loses the DP. And I already tasted it with the 290 and happened the same: The PSU makes noises when the GPU has a heavy task and then switch off. It would be difficult (in my guess) that both cards, different brands and GPUs, had issues, but who am I to judge?

And yeah. I'm definitely running to a friend's whose system has a i7 2700 and a 670 to run an ultimate test. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't actually control how your PSU manage to deliver power to the system, right? I mean, when you overclock you chose how much power your computer will receive, but not how much will the PSU deliver, right?

Well the fellas from Corsair replied and told me to send it back to them to RMA it. Im a little nervous. How long does it take to send it back? FYI I'm from Venezuela and bought it on Amazon, US, then ship it to my country, so need to send it back to US first. I use my computer for my living and have no other PSU to work meanwhile. so Gotta check how plausible it is to send it overseas instead of getting a new one.

And having a look on my past, i have plenty of back luck to support the fact something could go wrong and for some reason they tell me they won't fix it. I want to make absolutely sure it is worth a try. Cannot think of any scenario I could possibly have done anything to harm it, but who know...