T-Mobile going after data 'thieves' who abuse unlimited data

TopWargamer

If I pay for unlimited data, I don't see a problem of using 1 000TB.. If they don't want people to use data above some amount, maybe they should set a cap of like... 100GB? Tards..

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Reads title, freaks out, calms down because I "only" use 250GB per month. I'm still partially worried though...

These violators are going out of their way with all kinds of workarounds to steal more LTE tethered data. They're downloading apps that hide their tether usage, rooting their phones, writing code to mask their activity, etc. They are "hacking" the system to swipe high speed tethered data. These aren't naive amateurs; they are clever hackers who are willfully stealing for their own selfish gain. It's a small group – 1/100 of a percent of our 59 million customers – but some of them are using as much as 2 terabytes (2,000GB!) of data in a month.

As someone who *technically* abuses the system, they really make this stuff sound more advanced than it is. The tweaks I did are so simple even a monkey could do it.

Edit: And wait just a second. I could have sworn that deep down inside of their contract that there was a limit of 9.7TB set, was that removed?

Reads title, freaks out, calms down because I "only" use 250GB per month. I'm still partially worried though...

As someone who *technically* abuses the system, they really make this stuff sound more advanced than it is. The tweaks I did are so simple even a monkey could do it.

Just rooting my phone and installing CyanogenMod was enough for it to work. I used around 125GB of LTE data last month and was never throttled. T-Mobile should probably invest in whatever equipment or software is needed to detect "unlimited data abusers" if they want to make any real progress. 

Either way, this is relevant. They'll never be able to stop people from getting what they want.

cut-off-one-head-and-two-more-shall-take

COMIC SANS

Just rooting my phone and installing CyanogenMod was enough for it to work. I used around 125GB of LTE data last month and was never throttled. T-Mobile should probably invest in whatever equipment or software is needed to detect "unlimited data abusers" if they want to make any real progress. 

Either way, this is relevant. They'll never be able to stop people from getting what they want.

I didn't even root, I just changed my APN :P. I guess I can't be completely mad at T-Mobile though, because at least they let us "reasonable" abusers get away with it(even though it violates the contract) because I'm sure they are fully aware, but this does make me wonder where the line will be drawn.

All Hail Hydra?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

So you let them pay for unlimited data... but then you're mad when they try to use it... such logic much sense

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I didn't even root, I just changed my APN :P. I guess I can't be completely mad at T-Mobile though, because at least they let us "reasonable" abusers get away with it(even though it violates the contract) because I'm sure they are fully aware, but this does make me wonder where the line will be drawn.

Oh ya, I know about the APN tweak as well. That's something any phone can do too, even without root.

COMIC SANS

I guess T-Mobile doesn't understand what the word unlimited means. Read a dictionary assholes

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Hold on, let me see the logic here. People who pay for unlimited data are using their unlimited data plan to the fullest and you're getting pissy because they're using what they're paying for? 

Just want to ask something... 

You have unlimited data plan- OK. But is there some kind of limit for data tethering? If T-mobile are so stupid to NOT set a limit for tethering you have right to mourn... But if there IS a limit (and probably they set a tethering limit under 30GB) T-mobile has right to do something against people who in fact steal from them... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

That's why I love my new ISP's logic (Hyperoptic), if they run out of speed at a building or a node, they'll just increase capacity instead of being a whiny bitch like the rest of the world.

>Gives people unlimited data plan

>Cries when people use it

>Opens buffet, "claims all you can eat"

> Cries when people eat too much

Best Logic IMO. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Just want to ask something... 

You have unlimited data plan- OK. But is there some kind of limit for data tethering? If T-mobile are so stupid to NOT set a limit for tethering you have right to mourn... But if there IS a limit (and probably they set a tethering limit under 30GB) T-mobile has right to do something against people who in fact steal from them... 

This is where things get great: So lets rewind back to 5 months ago. On a typical Unlimited plan on T-Mobile you were allowed 5GB of tethering and no more(unless if you purchase more, 7, 9, and 11GB are the options I remember). Once you reached this limit, it just stopped and displayed a page telling you that you were out and either needed to wait for the next billing cycle or upgrade your plan.

Fast forward to today and things are different. Now, 7GB is the standard tethering allotment, but there is no cap. Once you reach 7GB(or 9/11/13/whateverGB your paying for) speeds just get reduced to 128kbps. So now the issue is whether unlimited means unlimited, on not only these "hacked" users phones, but even for the average Joe(although its impossible for a person to rack up 2TB at 128kbps, but the point still stands).

Does 'T-mobile' stand for 'Thief Mobile'? , by the way they should stop abusing the word "Unlimited" when they make it limited..

Details separate people.

2TB of data a month? What a bunch of fucking ass holes. I have seven people on my home internet(Comcast 50mbps down 10mbps up) and all of them download games, watch netflix/hulu and torrent and we'll usually use about 800GB to 900GB a month. Sometimes if I need to redownload a bunch of games it will go up to around 1.2TB. The most we've ever used in a single month was 1.4TB.

Yeah it's an open buffet but don't be the fat asshole piling up ten fourteen inch plates with all the food in sight that then goes back for seconds and thirds.

I don't personally have a unlimited data plan but it when he said:"These violators are going out of their way with all kinds of workarounds to steal more LTE tethered data." - it looks like that on a unlimited data plan you get a certain amount of lte data and what he means is that people cheat with their data usage to stay under the limit of lte data usage

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

meanwhile in Canada, it's 80$ a month to get 6 gb a month. Basically If I was to watch everyone of Linus's videos on my phone, I'd break the limit... so dumb.

2TB of data a month? What a bunch of fucking ass holes. I have seven people on my home internet(Comcast 50mbps down 10mbps up) and all of them download games, watch netflix/hulu and torrent and we'll usually use about 800GB to 900GB a month. Sometimes if I need to redownload a bunch of games it will go up to around 1.2TB. The most we've ever used in a single month was 1.4TB.

Yeah it's an open buffet but don't be the fat asshole piling up ten fourteen inch plates with all the food in sight that then goes back for seconds and thirds.

They use 70% more internet than 'your house' and that makes them 'fucking ass holes'?

In all fairness who the hell uses 2TB on a mobile phone?

T-mobile have every right, I still standby that if someone is using this much data on a MOBILE PHONE then they aren't using it for mobile phone purposes.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

This is where things get great: So lets rewind back to 5 months ago. On a typical Unlimited plan on T-Mobile you were allowed 5GB of tethering and no more(unless if you purchase more, 7, 9, and 11GB are the options I remember). Once you reached this limit, it just stopped and displayed a page telling you that you were out and either needed to wait for the next billing cycle or upgrade your plan.

Fast forward to today and things are different. Now, 7GB is the standard tethering allotment, but there is no cap. Once you reach 7GB(or 9/11/13/whateverGB your paying for) speeds just get reduced to 128kbps. So now the issue is whether unlimited means unlimited, on not only these "hacked" users phones, but even for the average Joe(although its impossible for a person to rack up 2TB at 128kbps, but the point still stands).

Thank you for explaining... As I was thinking T-mobile are right- some people breaking the rules and taking action against them is absolutely normal... 

PS: Strange thing happens here- according CoC is forbidden to discuss software pirating (because it's a steal), but obviously is not a problem at all someone to start whining because he can't steal anymore from T-mobile... And YES, manipulating system with a purpose to get more than you pay IS A STEAL... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes...