Why does the general public prefer Nvidia over AMD?

Windows2000

So, I was talking with this guy the other day; and he was asking about my PC specs. 

I told him I had a i7-4770K with a R9 290 and he starts to rant about how stupid I was to get a 290. 

I got a barely used 290 (OEM) for around $220 from a friend near the time of its release.

Also, the 290 has more raw performance than the 780 or the 780 Ti according to GPUBoss (crap source, but I'm pretty sure the 290 has a significantly higher floating-point performance score)

I honestly think that I had a great buy and I never ever regretted it. (Fking leaf blower but who cares)

He even stated that how Nvidia has longer/better support than Nvidia.

Isn't AMD and Nvidia pretty much identical when it comes to driver supports now?

Why does the public (non-enthusiasts) prefer Nvidia over AMD?

Please try to keep your views within the average consumer's.

Please note that this thread is not meant to create a fan-war and people participating should act civilized to an extent where this thread won't get locked....

Behave yourselves... I've seen it happen and it's not fun. D:

My other thread got erased... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD IN ORDER.

I produce music!

General perception, brand exposure, power consumption, heat (before someone brings up Thermi, I'm talking about now), features (such as GameStream) and more.

Huh, I forgot about CUDA.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Because Nvidia has drivers on most releases (Except Windows 10!!!) and games are *Optimised* for Nvidia more often than not.

Plus they have PhysX. 

I have never hated on AMD its just Nvidia seemed to be better (fps) most of the time.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

So, I was talking with this guy the other day; and he was asking about my PC specs. 

I told him I had a i7-4770K with a R9 290 and he starts to rant about how stupid I was to get a 290. 

I got a barely used 290 (OEM) for around $220 from a friend near the time of its release.

Also, the 290 has more raw performance than the 780 or the 780 Ti according to GPUBoss (crap source, but I'm pretty sure the 290 has a significantly higher floating-point performance score)

I honestly think that I had a great buy and I never ever regretted it. (Fking leaf blower but who cares)

Isn't AMD and Nvidia pretty much identical when it comes to driver supports now?

Why does the public (non-enthusiasts) prefer Nvidia over AMD?

Please try to keep your views within the average consumer's.

Please note that this thread is not meant to create a fan-war and people participating should act civilized to an extent where this thread won't get locked....

Behave yourselves... I've seen it happen and it's not fun. D:

My other thread got erased... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD IN ORDER.

A lot of people roll out the old "AMD cards will burn your house down and multiply your power bill at that." So people who don't know the hardware as well often buy Nvidia cards because of branding. Also some people prefer different drivers and such.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

you know that isn't going to happen, threads like this are always going to get

flamed, torn and trolled. we'll let it roll, but it is pretty much a locked thread

within two-three pages.

Ssssh don't jinx it

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This....

Its like how the general public(as you say)  like Razer products.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Nvidia, features, drivers, lower temps & lower power usage, cuda, and nvidia.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nvidia game works titles running poorly on AMD compared to Nvidia.

It's also like people who blindly buy Samsung, and Apple. They do it mostly for the brand name.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

Because Nvidia has drivers on most releases (Except Windows 10!!!) and games are *Optimised* for Nvidia more often than not.

Plus they have PhysX. 

Bad drivers happen to Nvidia, often too. AMD also has "optimized" games for them like Tomb Raider, Thief, even Battlefield 4 with Mantle, etc. It's just that they're fewer and more spaced out than Nvidia who has a lot more games "optimized" ranging from great ones like Witcher 3 to crap that gets taken off stores like that stupid Batman game.

As for the OP question I honestly don't know: you'd think more people would root for the underdog so to speak but well far too many people just read reviews and stuff at face value without looking into things i.e. Linus sometimes prefers Nvidia products for reasons that are appealing almost exclusively to him like the stupid shield console thing he loves, most people don't have that and most people will not use the in home streaming vs just using something more universally and readily available like Steam's in home streaming. 

More over people don't understand how business contacts work: Linus has good relationships with Nvidia and gets many samples and such, Jay is close specifically EVGA and Logan usually has good dealings with Zotec and Sapphire so he mostly puts those cards in their builds. It's not that complicated: you build a good working relationship with a company rep and you naturally gravitate towards their products since well nobody else is literally giving you free GPUs to sample them but people interpret this as a preference and then rationalize the choice after the fact instead of seeing it for what it is.

That kind of thing can go a long way into creating all sorts of consumer biases eventually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Them Cuda cores tho

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Nvidia pushes a proprietary ecosystem

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I suppose it has to do with what GPU cores can do, at least for me. For an average consumer Nvidia seems to have more partnerships and therefore appears more on advertising, therefore many deem the item good, not saying AMD is bad but they don't throw enough competition at Nvidia.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

-snip-

I have known of people who deiced on everything (including an AMD card) and then realised that the game they want to play has this

twimtbp.jpg

Then change their whole build because of that!

I have a few reasons I personally use them. I'll try and keep this simple and short.

My first build had a fx8350 with a 7970 in it. Worked great. BUT was so noisy that I could hear it in other rooms. This was obviously a cheap build.

My next build I decided to use a 780ti and let me tell you the features are great. It had gsync, streaming to other devices, updates often, cool, quit, ect

Heres my opinion now a few years later. AMD is great for lower end stuff. APU's and that sort of thing. If your going to buy an expensive card then your most likely going to have a nice case, cpu, cooler, ect so why not get the ones that are cooler temperature wise and have more support for cooling options ( atleast from what i have found) .

Just my two cents. I had a 290x2 ( or whatever the heck that thing is called) returned it and got a 980ti instead. Works much better for me and was able to find water blocks easily for it. :)

EDIT: As others have stated. It is widely considered "better" which is also a bonus as a lot of games are optimized for nvdida. Also has CUDA cores and shadowplay. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Its basically what the general public thinks. Most oems also ship with nvidia so a average kid sees the high end alienware rig with gtx cards over radeon cards hes going to think nvidia is better.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I have known of people who deiced on everything (including an AMD card) and then realised that the game they want to play has this

twimtbp.jpg

Funny thing is a lot of the times, a similarly priced AMD card will match or beat the Nvidia card, seal of approval or not.

-------

Current Rig

-------

snip

To be honest, that is the main reason I've been using Nvidia cards since 2006 xD The only AMD/ATi GPU powered system was when I had a Wii and when I used an Xbox One lol.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Funny thing is a lot of the times, a similarly priced AMD card will match or beat the Nvidia card, seal of approval or not.

I know.

A lot of people roll out the old "AMD cards will burn your house down and multiply your power bill at that." So people who don't know the hardware as well often buy Nvidia cards because of branding. Also some people prefer different drivers and such.

"Burn down your house", only when you overclock them, I know.

But one great thing about AMD cards is Linux support.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Because Nvidia is better at marketing. And because their cards are objectively better (because they're better at running DX11 - which is highly serial - than AMD's decidedly parallel architectures.)

Hopefully things will change when the new APIs come into vogue. Finally those asynchronous shaders will do their job. The thing is that AMD's mid-end cards from three years ago are still competing head-to-head with Nvidia's current lineup, so for the price at that end of the spectrum, AMD makes more sense from a financial perspective. With DX12 and Vulkan they'll gain some ground.

Not hating on Nvidia. Not at all. My laptop is a wonderful performer. But I still think AMD's cards have potential based on what we've seen in preliminary benchmarks of DirectX 12.

In OpenCL, AMD's cards are absolute monsters, especially the workstation cards.

Now I'm going to be yelled at for being a "butthurt fanboy", but that's just what I think. I don't think AMD's cards are out of the ring just yet.

"Burn down your house", only when you overclock them, I know.

But one great thing about AMD cards is Linux support.

This. Nvidia's drivers, you have to SSH into the machine to finish the driver install because the screen goes black. Derp. Thanks Nvidia

Oh, and Linus Torvalds loathes them.