Moto X Play Coming to US as Carrier Exclusive

Suika

10b31061f30be2ea72765fa3aecf1f77.png

(click for sauce)

Can anybody take a guess at which US carrier likes Motorola exclusives? Anyone?

I guess Motorola wasn't lying when they said the Play wouldn't arrive in the US, because it's a Verizon exclusive now, which is basically just as bad. But to the poor souls with Verizon, you still have the option to  pick up the Play in the form of the Droid Maxx 2 (reportedly that's what it'll be called, considering the original Maxx focused on battery life).

First up: the Droid Maxx 2. The Maxx line is about battery life, and the Moto X Play is a version of the Moto X that just happens to be all about battery life. Phandroid claims that the Maxx 2 will be a US version of the Play — though it's possible that the precise hardware specs will change.

As mentioned there may be some hardware changes but neither The Verge nor Phandroid have a guess as to what the changes may be, but it's likely going to be identical. It'd be nice to see it equipped with a better SoC like the SD 808 but one can dream, especially since the price tag is still going to float around the $300 mark. Fortunate at least considering Verizon only does the installment billing anymore.

So anybody else curious or upset about the exclusivity? If the battery life was great and camera decent I'd love to pick one up, but considering I'm on T-Mobile with no plans to leave soon, I don't have a whole lot of interest.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

console exclusives make sense, carrier exclusives never will. Not worth spending a crap ton of money to switch providers for one phone you're most likely stuck with for a year or more

I think it'd be a real shame if they stepped down in the battery size department. Hopefully that's one of the spec they decide to change for the better.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

console exclusives make sense, carrier exclusives never will. Not worth spending a crap ton of money to switch providers for one phone you're most likely stuck with for a year or more

All Verizon phones are unlocked so it doesn't matter as long as to has the bands you need.

aww

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

All Verizon phones are unlocked so it doesn't matter as long as to has the bands you need.

Verizon phones are also CDMA instead of GSM, so they'd only fully work on CDMA carriers.

Source: I am a Verizon customer.

Verizon phones are also CDMA instead of GSM, so they'd only fully work on CDMA carriers.

Um, I took my Verizon s6 to SoftBank just fine.

Um, I took my Verizon s6 to SoftBank just fine.

SoftBank is a carrier?

SoftBank is a carrier?

Yes. Though they kind of suck in my opinion. Barley get any signal at by workplace.

Yes. Though they kind of suck in my opinion. Barley get any signal at by workplace.

Oh, thought you meant something else. That's a CDMA carrier, so of course it worked.

SoftBank is a carrier?

It's a Japanese carrier. I used them for about 4 months before going to docomo. But SoftBank uses cdma so it's no wonder his Verizon phone worked.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It's a Japanese carrier. I used them for about 4 months before going to docomo. But SoftBank uses cdma so it's no wonder his Verizon phone worked.

I actually didn't know that until I looked that up. But yeah, they're a CDMA carrier.

Actually, most of Verizon's phones have both CDMA and GSM radios now. Their in the process of retiring their old CDMA modes in favor of VoLTE and 4g LTE.

EG: The  Verizon iPhone has CDMA voice + SMS mode channels and everything else is done over GSM for 4g LTE. Same goes for all of their new phones. Newer "CDMA" phones are also better in that they have both radio types. Look at the latest Galaxy phones. They have CDMA and GSM. So you get more compatibility to move across carriers.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Ugh, now that carriers will stop financing phones or offering contracts I guess we can expect a shit ton more "carrier exclusive" deals on phones.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is the one damn phone I wanted too. When I found out it won't be in the US I was pissed and now I'm even more angry since I'm not with Verizon.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Now the device has leaked again, courtesy of Android Police, and this time there’s enough information to pretty much confirm the rumored Verizon smartphone. Behind that rear shell, which features clear DROID and Verizon branding, we get a look at some of the new phone’s specs.

The DROID MAXX 2 apparently packs a 3630mAh battery and a 21-megapixel rear camera. That lines up perfectly with the Moto X Play, suggesting we’ll also get a 5.5-inch 1080p display, 2GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 615 processor.

droid Police points to one small red flag. It looks like the DROID MAXX 2 will start at just 8GB of storage. That’s a pretty big step down from the 16GB/32GB Moto X Play, though hopefully the new device will pack a microSD card slot for adding extra space.

The Moto X Play is set to cost around $300 outside of the U.S., so we’re guessing the DROID MAXX 2 will have a similar price. Motorola and Verizon are also expected to announce a DROID Turbo 2 with what is said to be an unbreakable display, and the new devices should get an official launch soon.

droid-maxx-2-41.jpeg

droid-maxx-2-31.jpeg

droid-maxx-2-21.jpeg

News Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/08/25/droid-maxx-2-all-but-confirmed-in-new-leaked-photos/

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

So they took the Moto X Play, and made it worse.

Not only that, this phone is worse than the last Droid Turbo.

Awesome.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

So they took the Moto X Play, and made it worse.

Not only that, this phone is worse than the last Droid Turbo.

Awesome.

Plus it's exclusive to US. Or at least it was the last time. 

The Moto X Play looks really awesome. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Fugly. If the Turbo 2 follows this trend.., Well now I know not to wait and just get the first Turbo.

Edit - Actually I'm gonna get the first Turbo anyway, Verizon is giving them to my family free.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

It's as if they want the droid lineup to suck

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Plus it's exclusive to US. Or at least it was the last time. 

The Moto X Play looks really awesome. 

The rest of the world gets the X Play, which is the same phone ;)

I might buy one tomorrow.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The rest of the world gets the X Play, which is the same phone ;)

I might buy one tomorrow.

Well i'm waiting for IFA

Well i'm waiting for IFA

I'm semi tempted to but I don't think there's anything too exciting coming out at IFA. Except perhaps the new Z phones from Sony, but those are quite premium and I see them being the usual $700 flagships.

I might, however, wait to see how the new Nexus 6 turns out.

But. The Moto X Style fits the same screen size in a much smaller body with expandable storage...so...

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler