Why can't Linux people just use Windows?

KarateHottie93

You haven't played Call of Duty? Or heard the MLG horns? Aww :(

Oh I've played a ton of CoD..especially CoD 4. I was always more of a Socom(RIP) guy though. If MLG horns are in the game I have heard them lol. Not sure though..would have to hear it again to know :P

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Oh I've played a ton of CoD..especially CoD 4. I was always more of a Socom(RIP) guy though. If MLG horns are in the game I have heard them lol. Not sure though..would have to hear it again to know :P

Its something the wonderful internet came up with. Enjoy(kinda loud, so you might want to lower volume):

And this is the hitmarker sound(I love it):

Educate yourself about Linux rather than jumping on the company bandwagon just like the sheer amount of Nvidia fanboys. Both Windows and Linux have their "pros and cons" depending on the USER/S USAGE.

Its something the wonderful internet came up with. Enjoy(kinda loud, so you might want to lower volume):

And this is the hitmarker sound(I love it):

Oh haha that's the annying horn effect guido DJ's always spam. I am in love with the hitmarket sound though. I sometimes make that sound in bursts when nobody is around to think I'm retarded.

Oh haha that's the annying horn effect guido DJ's always spam. I am in love with the hitmarket sound though. I sometimes make that sound in bursts when nobody is around to think I'm retarded.

Lol, the hitmarker sound is my text message sound(with 6 hits).

Lol, the hitmarker sound is my text message sound(with 6 hits).

Hahaha omg that's amazing! Mine is the sound of Cro Cop kicking Wanderlei in the head. It pretty much sounds the same :)

Every OS has it's use..... I prefer Linux completely though.

TL-DR: Every os has it's pros and cons ;D

Pros=

• Freedom to customize everything to your liking.
  • Tighter security. (not just a lack of viruses)
  • Less reboots then windows.
  • Generally better performance.
  • Drivers are built into the kernel.
  • Can't figure out something? There is an overall positive community willing to help you and give pointers.
  • Most indie games now support Linux without even thinking about it.
  • Both Microsoft and Apple use Linux and have complimented it multiple times.
  • Faster boot times (especially noticeable on older hardware)

Negatives =

• AAA software developers don't give a shit about Linux atm.
  • So many choices you get lost, or you huddle into a safe bubble of "i like this and only this"
  • Java and Flash will give you viruses as easily on Windows and OSX
  • Communities tend to clash. (Ubuntu vs OpenSUSE ect...)
  • Diehards generally hate anyone who use non open-source software.
  • Users tend to act superior.
  • Overall worse battery life on laptops. (even with TLP installed)

Lord of Helium.

I let a Linux user move in and freeload off of me for four months. All I ever heard was about how great and secure it is.

I'm sorry but I have tried pretty much every distro and I just can't get into it. Why not just use Windows unless running a server?

You're missing the point.  You need to be OS agnostic, there are many great things Windows is used for such as there are many great things Linux and OSx are used for.  It all depends on how the end user feels like using the system and when it comes to performance it depends on what the user is trying to accomplish.  I have had all 3 platforms before, and currently have Windows and Linux.  Windows I use as my daily driver typically because of applications and the driver support for my graphics card.  However I do run Linux on my laptop and server.  Chances are you are just used to Windows because you have grown up using it, but if you learn more about Linux and start using the cli you'll understand the great advantages it has. 

ITT: Windows users being ignorant of how great linux is.

Also ITT: People who think Ubuntu is a good OS. I barely even recognize it as an OS at all.

Also ALSO ITT: Windows users circlejerk.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

What amazes me is that Linux users love saying how superior Linux is without actually telling you what makes it superior. Instead they just tell you how much Winblow$ sux and it's full of FUD or something then call you a shill.

I've used Linux on Laptops back in the XP/Vista days and frankly they were there just to browse the internet. It took some effort to get anything interesting working on them and the amount of times I had to go to the command line made me feel like I was back in 1985.

Unfortunately the main deal breaker as always was the lack of third party support, there simply is no alternative in Linux for the software I use, and even today, the drivers leave a few things to be desired (at least with my set up).

But hey, people coding and doing cool custom stuff swear by it, so I guess that's why Linux desktop distributions are still around. It just does some things better than Windows.

Anyway, that was my experience, your mileage may vary.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I let a Linux user move in and freeload off of me for four months. All I ever heard was about how great and secure it is.

I'm sorry but I have tried pretty much every distro and I just can't get into it. Why not just use Windows unless running a server?

Truth is, the ones like your experience are the hipsters of the IT world. They also don't know much about IT generally. Then there are the actually intelligent system admins, who use whatever best fits the business requirements and needs (whether that be Windows, Linux, some variant of BSD/Unix or Mac).

Why is this? Only a poor craftsman blames his tools. (and yes an OS is just one of many tools for a sysadmin)

Then, the things most people don't consider:

Installing Windows:
Insert Disk> Install most of the files> Reboot> Configure those files> Reboot> Configure more files and user setup> possible reboot after Windows is all set up> Install drivers> Reboot> Done

Installing Ubuntu:
Insert disk> Install and configure all of the files while creating the user account and installing most if not all of the drivers> Reboot> If needed, install proprietary drivers> Done.

I love installing Linux, it doesn't waste time. Best of all, most Distros are “live”, so the machine isn't worthless while installing the OS.

Also:
Windows Installation size: 20-40GB, depending on hardware configuration(assuming 64 bit)

Linux Installation size: .5-6GB Depending on Distro(64 bit)
Considering Linux has most of the functionality of Windows and includes most of its drivers, I'm not sure why Windows is so bloated.

Sorry, but your really showing your ignorance on the topic.

Also ITT: People who think Ubuntu is a good OS. I barely even recognize it as an OS at all.

Don't you just sound like the nicest guy. I use Ubuntu daily as my main computer. why exactly is it not an operating system?

Why can't Windows people just use Linux?  All I ever hear about is how great the software and driver support is.

I'm sorry, but I've tried every Windows version, and I just can't get into it.  Why not use Linux, unless you hate freedom?

I'm an all around kinda guy, I use Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

On the Linux side of things, I use Ubuntu GNOME exclusively.

U Know wut, fuk u!  <_<

Here is my experiance with various Linux distros

1) I have no idea what I am doing

2) what I want to do doesnt work

3) what

4) huh?

5) I have no use for this

6) I still have no use for this

7) none of my software works

I am not saying Linux etc is bad, I just have no use for it, since it doesnt run what I want it to (I literally run games and editing programs, barely use my PC for anything else)

I have installed on some old machines and sure works fine for browsing etc but outside of that I have nothing to take advantage from 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because I like it better and consider it a better OS? It is faster, far more secure, easier to customize, maintain, update, upgrade, larger and far more helpful community, free and intuitive. They also don't spy on you and sell your information like Windows, and if a certain distro does, get another that doesn't. It is the world's most easiest OS too...I mean a monkey could use it.

So why can't you just use Linux OP?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Why can't Windows people just use Linux?  All I ever hear about is how great the software and driver support is.

I'm sorry, but I've tried every Windows version, and I just can't get into it.  Why not use Linux, unless you hate freedom?

Yeah, I hate the freedom of not being able to do what I need to do due to lack of 3rd party software support. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

.... tried pretty much every distro ...

REALLY? "Pretty much" means that you are tried at least 90% of literally thousands of distros... Maybe you are just another lying dumb a*s...

And you asking wrong question- right one is "Why 60% of Windows users just don't try some Linux distro?" Let say it simple- to be sure that you'll understand:

60+% of people uses PC's for easy tasks like browsing, listening music and watching videos/movies and for things like this Linux is more than enough- WHY THE F*CK TO USE WINDOWS and pay $120+ for an OS when there is OS that do same things FOR FREE? 

Don't tell me "But other 40%..."- they have reasons to use Windows + I'm in that 40%... But 60% of users DON'T NEED Windows- why they pay for an OS?

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I use both windows and linux

Linux is my daily driver and windows is my gaming os

The main reason as to why i use linux is because it is interesting. Like when i was first learning to use my 2600 when i was just a kid. Since then I've fallen completely for using the terminal to do stuff. And gnome 3 is in my opinion a great desktop environment. Sure it might piss me off royally sometimes but windows is so dull to me now :/ the windows 8.1 ui has gone a long way to spice it up a bit though.

It all boils down to personal preference in the end.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"