Why can't Linux people just use Windows?

KarateHottie93

I let a Linux user move in and freeload off of me for four months. All I ever heard was about how great and secure it is.

I'm sorry but I have tried pretty much every distro and I just can't get into it. Why not just use Windows unless running a server?

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

This may sound ignorant as hell but it's because they're ignorant to what the consumer wants.

I kinda have a soft spot for Ubuntu but I couldn't use it as a daily driver. I use too many Windows-exclusive applications to go to Linux.

I've got nothing against Linux and OS X users, but the moment they start saying "o mi os is better!11!11!!!!!111!!!1", that's when I ignore them.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

"just 'cause."

There's really no big advantage to using Linux other than using it for the sake of using it. They can claim "Security" all they want, not because it's open source that it means it's more secure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This may sound ignorant as hell but it's because they're ignorant to what the consumer wants.

I kinda have a soft spot for Ubuntu but I couldn't use it as a daily driver. I use too many Windows-exclusive applications to go to Linux.

Haha I actually loved your post cause Ubuntu was the only one I even slightly enjoyed. I hear it's too "mainstream" though. I think it's the most mainstream cause it's the only one worth a damn.

Different strokes for different folks. Don't let that freeloader warp your perception of Linux users, we're not all like that ;)

Linux is great for the tinkerer who wants to learn how a computer really works under the hood, but if you want to get stuff done like content creation, Windows is still the way to go, at least until OSX binary support comes for Linux. Then Windows will die.

If you're running a server or a NAS or a media PC, then Linux is really really good. There are all sorts of things that you can use Unix and Linux to do that would otherwise cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to purchase retail hardware and software to do.

I used Ubuntu for a bit, it's not a bad OS by any stance, but the long list of things that just don't work with it bothers me, and I can never get anything done on it. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Haha I actually loved your post cause Ubuntu was the only one I even slightly enjoyed. I hear it's too "mainstream" though. I think it's the most mainstream cause it's the only one worth a damn.

To be honest, if I had the time, I would start messing around with other Linux distributions.

But I simply don't have the time to mess around with drivers and commands as much as I used to.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

"just 'cause."

There's really no big advantage to using Linux other than using it for the sake of using it. They can claim "Security" all they want, not because it's open source that it means it's more secure.

It's "more secure" as they say cause nobody cares enough about it to create viruses.

Different strokes for different folks. Don't let that freeloader warp your perception of Linux users, we're not all like that ;)

Linux is great for the tinkerer who wants to learn how a computer really works under the hood, but if you want to get stuff done like content creation, Windows is still the way to go, at least until OSX binary support comes for Linux. Then Windows will die.

If you're running a server or a NAS or a media PC, then Linux is really really good. There are all sorts of things that you can use Unix and Linux to do that would otherwise cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to purchase retail hardware to do.

Haha I try not to but that guy really runined it for me...kinda like how my ex ruined Revenge for me. I try to enjoy it but I want it be Windows everytime I use it lol. I still run Ubuntu on a comp I never touch though :P

I let a Linux user move in and freeload off of me for four months. All I ever heard was about how great and secure it is.

I'm sorry but I have tried pretty much every distro and I just can't get into it. Why not just use Windows unless running a server?

Cause I hate Windows and all of its F**ing problems that hold me back from being productive. Linux isn't perfect either, but I get so frustrated using Windows at times(stares at laptop across the room with a "limited" wifi connection, even though the wifi works just fine). I like that I can tinker with things without having to "mod" it(like I have 6 workstations on my current laptop, no mods required. Windows on the other hand...).

Really there is no difference between the two, just 3rd party support varies.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the spying thing that Microsoft recently loves...

Edit#2: And forced updates.... and their BS policies with product keys...

Haha I try not to but that guy really runined it for me...kinda like how my ex ruined Revenge for me. I try to enjoy it but I want it be Windows everytime I use it lol. I still run Ubuntu on a comp I never touch though :P

That's the thing, though, too many people jump into Linux expecting or wanting it to be like Windows, but it's totally not like that at all, it's a very different way of doing things, and that's what throws people off. If you've never used Windows before, then Linux is really easy to pick up, but for those of us that have used Windows for basically all our lives, then it's a hard transition. I like to try new things though, and I like to tinker, so Linux is something I enjoy. At some point it will rule the world, but as Aragorn said, that is not this day, so sticking with windows is fine for now.

Just so long as you remember what the product in Microsoft's little deal here is -- it's you. :P

Cause I hate Windows and all of its F**ing problems that hold me back from being productive. Linux isn't perfect either, but I get so frustrated using Windows at times(stares at laptop across the room with a "limited" wifi connection, even though the wifi works just fine). I like that I can tinker with things without having to "mod" it(like I have 6 workstations on my current laptop, no mods required. Windows on the other hand...).

Oh come on baby...don't do me like that. I refuse to let this be the deal breaker.

I did notice the wifi thing now that I think about it though. I keep the driver for my wireless card on an old phone in case my Comcast goes out again from buying new stuff instead of paying the bill and I gotta steal wifi. Of course that only happened once and it was on a fresh Windows 7 install. Didn't happen on Linux though.

Honestly the biggest deal breaker for me on Ubuntu was that I had to left click the address bar twice to highlight it instead or a single right click.

On the spying...all they will find is pirated fights, foot vids, and possibly pirated Windows :P

On the forced updates...I turned those off.

^This. My laptop started bugging out with tons of dropped packets over ethernet, it was rejecting every website other than google's sites and some other small websites and it turns out it was related to the OS... another drive's OS didn't show the same problem.

as soon as we get good GPU driver support, Paint tool SAI compatibility and the awesome battery life that Linux should theoretically already provide, Windows is DEAD to me. Getting all my programs through aptitude is really nice as well. it's why Linux is more "secure".

Honestly the biggest deal breaker for me on Ubuntu was that I had to left click the address bar twice to highlight it instead or a single right click.

...THAT was your biggest deal breaker? something you could tweak if you wanted?

you breakin' my heart, man! :P

That's the thing, though, too many people jump into Linux expecting or wanting it to be like Windows, but it's totally not like that at all, it's a very different way of doing things, and that's what throws people off. If you've never used Windows before, then Linux is really easy to pick up, but for those of us that have used Windows for basically all our lives, then it's a hard transition. I like to try new things though, and I like to tinker, so Linux is something I enjoy. At some point it will rule the world, but as Aragorn said, that is not this day, so sticking with windows is fine for now.

Just so long as you remember what the product in Microsoft's little deal here is -- it's you. :P

I kinda feel like Linux users are actually the products. Who knows what backdoors are really in that "secure" kernal that the say has no backdoors?

Oh come on baby...don't do me like that. I refuse to let this be the deal breaker.

I did notice the wifi thing now that I think about it though. I keep the driver for my wireless card on an old phone in case my Comcast goes out again from buying new stuff instead of paying the bill and I gotta steal wifi. Of course that only happened once and it was on a fresh Windows 7 install. Didn't happen on Linux though.

On the spying...all they will find is pirated fights, foot vids, and possibly pirated Windows :P

On the forced updates...I turned those off.

that's only in FireFox. chrome is that same as usual. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

...THAT was your biggest deal breaker? something you could tweak if you wanted?

you breakin' my heart, man! :P

Tweaking Linux is like trying to baptise a cat...

How secure Linux is really depends on how the user has preconfigured their machine, and the safeguards they have in place to prevent things like brute forcing SSH to take over a machine. I personally always have to carry a bootable Linux USB with me everywhere. It's so convenient. And another thing, Linux supports multiple partitions on a USB natively - something which is absolutely essential to me. Also, linux allows a user to choose from a wide variety of desktop environments, although my personal favourite is the one found in Elementary OS. In my opinion, the majority of people who use windows just use it because they have no choice (For example in my scenario, Visual Studio and Microsoft Powerpoint, two programs I use often, don't run on Linux. don't suggest OpenOffice/LibreOffice because they do not support the image editing & enhancement features of PowerPoint which I use often ) whereas the people who use Linux actually enjoy using their OS. There will always be a need for Windows, and the option to use Linux, but to be honest the guy who was bragging about it sounds like he was going over the top.

^This. My laptop started bugging out with tons of dropped packets over ethernet, it was rejecting every website other than google's sites and some other small websites and it turns out it was related to the OS... another drive's OS didn't show the same problem.

as soon as we get good GPU driver support, Paint tool SAI compatibility and the awesome battery life that Linux should theoretically already provide, Windows is DEAD to me. Getting all my programs through aptitude is really nice as well. it's why Linux is more "secure".

This. I love how if I need a program I can just do apt-get install [program] and it downloads in seconds. In fact I do all my benchmarking on Linux. For web, I use speedtest, as well as wget which actually shows the megabytes per second. For disk performance, just set up a tmpfs (or use /run/shm if it's already mounted there) and just use pipeviewer (apt-get install pv) to see the transfer speed in real time.

Another thing I realised recently that I didn't know was possible - Linux binaries can be launched from the file manager as if they were executables on Windows

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

that's only in FireFox. chrome is that same as usual. ;)

I hate Chrome cause I can't make it delete all history on exit lol.

How secure Linux is really depends on how the user has preconfigured their machine, and the safeguards they have in place to prevent things like brute forcing SSH to take over a machine. I personally always have to carry a bootable Linux USB with me everywhere. It's so convenient. And another thing, Linux supports multiple partitions on a USB natively - something which is absolutely essential to me. Also, linux allows a user to choose from a wide variety of desktop environments, although my personal favourite is the one found in Elementary OS. In my opinion, the majority of people who use windows just use it because they have no choice (For example in my scenario, Visual Studio and Microsoft Powerpoint, two programs I use often, don't run on Linux. don't suggest OpenOffice/LibreOffice because they do not support the image editing & enhancement features of PowerPoint which I use often ) whereas the people who use Linux actually enjoy using their OS. There will always be a need for Windows, and the option to use Linux, but to be honest the guy who was bragging about it sounds like he was going over the top.

Well I mean he talked me into buying a 9590 cause he was a bigger AMD fanboy than I am. He was very over the top. I ended up giving him that 9590 btw lol. My 8350 and 3570K do it for me.

Tweaking Linux is like trying to baptise a cat...

It's a hell of a lot easier than getting Windows to stop patronizing you every time you want to do something.

It's a hell of a lot easier than getting Windows to stop patronizing you every time you want to do something.

Haha I actually like how it asks me if I'm sure. I wish there was a popup that followed me around and did that everytime I pick out cereal.

Because it's free and unlike most windows users some Linux users don't feel like pirating windows (Yeah don't fucking lie, I know most of you pirate windows but we'll pretend that you don't) 

Lately though? I mean do you have to ask? Maybe I don't want to send everything I do all day, every day, to Microsoft to archive so it's extra easy for them to just handle all data to the NSA illegally. Windows 10 is basically spyware, it's ok not to like spyware.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Because it's free and unlike most windows users some Linux users don't feel like pirating windows (Yeah don't fucking lie, I know most of you pirate windows but we'll pretend that you don't) 

Lately though? I mean do you have to ask? Maybe I don't want to send everything I do all day, every day, to Microsoft to archive so it's extra easy for them to just handle all data to the NSA illegally. Windows 10 is basically spyware, it's ok not to like spyware.

I don't lie about pirating Windows...just not something I'll openly admit when I'm not sure about the rules here.

I think that spying stuff is just a bunch of tinfoil hatting. It's the main card Linux users play.