Why can't Linux people just use Windows?

KarateHottie93

why can't you just use linux ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Because they don't want to? what difference does it make to you?

You should say why do they have to push it on people rather than why do they use it.

I use it because its simply better for what I do. its more convenient for me.

I don't think any operating system is inherently better or worse than another. just better at certain tasks.

Then, the things most people don't consider:

Installing Windows:
Insert Disk> Install most of the files> Reboot> Configure those files> Reboot> Configure more files and user setup> possible reboot after Windows is all set up> Install drivers> Reboot> Done

Installing Ubuntu:
Insert disk> Install and configure all of the files while creating the user account and installing most if not all of the drivers> Reboot> If needed, install proprietary drivers> Done.

I love installing Linux, it doesn't waste time. Best of all, most Distros are “live”, so the machine isn't worthless while installing the OS.

Also:
Windows Installation size: 20-40GB, depending on hardware configuration(assuming 64 bit)

Linux Installation size: .5-6GB Depending on Distro(64 bit)
Considering Linux has most of the functionality of Windows and includes most of its drivers, I'm not sure why Windows is so bloated.

Tweaking Linux is like trying to baptise a cat...

I'll have to agree on this one. Setting up something like Motion (extremely powerful security camera software) via its config file was a nightmare. They listed out ALL of its properties, even ones where the default settings were perfectly fine. I ended up just finding a config file on the web and adding the stuff I needed. Another thing that had too much going on in its configs was Samba. I gave up on that and went right back to SFTP. The PHP config file was a nightmare too, I don't see why they feel the need to have all the descriptions in fancy boxes that just take up space and make it harder to find what you need to get to. I eventually ended up editing the config file on Windows then sending it back over to the linux box.

TL;DR - Default config files should just get to the point at the top of the file with the important stuff, and leave the optional things commented out underneath with a very short description

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I kinda feel like Linux users are actually the products. Who knows what backdoors are really in that "secure" kernal that the say has no backdoors?

And your basis for this is...?

The Linux Kernel was made by individuals, all of whom had a vested interest in making a secure system, not a sociopathic corporation bent on increasing their profit margins by any means necessary. You're seriously telling me you would take Windows' security features over Linux? How many viruses are out there for Windows? hundreds of thousands. Linux? Probably fewer than a hundred. Have a secure root password and an encrypted filesystem (which is a snap in Linux) and have someone break into it. They'll fail. Obviously, Linux isn't invincible. If you want real security you want FreeBSD or something like that. but the way that Unix-based operating systems are built like security onions so that if a piece of malware gets through one layer, the next will stop it. There's a good reason that Linux rules the embedded and server markets. If I'm the product when I use a Linux operating system, whose product am I exactly? Name the company.

There is no company.

Installing Windows:
Insert Disk> Install most of the files> Reboot> Configure those files> Reboot> Configure more files and user setup> possible reboot after Windows is all set up> Install drivers> Reboot> Done

Installing Ubuntu:
Insert disk> Install and configure all of the files while creating the user account and installing most if not all of the drivers> Reboot> If needed, install proprietary drivers> Done.

I love installing Linux, it doesn't waste time. Best of all, most Distros are “live”, so the machine isn't worthless while installing the OS.

Also:
Windows Installation size: 20-40GB, depending on hardware configuration(assuming 64 bit)

Linux Installation size: .5-6GB Depending on Distro(64 bit)
Considering Linux has most of the functionality of Windows and includes most of its drivers, I'm not sure why Windows is so bloated.

As somebody who has installed multiple distros via source code just to say I have done it, I'd love watch windows shut my PC off and run updates 40 times.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

As somebody who has installed multiple distros via source code just to say I have done it, I'd love watch windows shut my PC off and run updates 40 times.

Windows update drives me insane lol. It takes soooo loooooong.

Windows has things like .NET which allows it to interpret Visual Basic, C#, C++ etc. And don't forget to throw DirectX (specifically DirectPlay) in there too, which isn't preinstalled on OS's like 7 upwards.

On Linux however, the compiler compiles it to one common binary format and you're done. (Unless we're talking about interpreters like Python, PHP etc.) I was able to copy a version of netcat from one distro to another with absolutely no problems at all. I just wish that more programs were pre-compiled online in easy-to-reach places, saving time fishing through repositories to find compiled binaries for embedded versions of Linux such as TinyCore. But that unfortunately opens up a risk to things like malware etc being compiled in there too.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Windows has things like .NET which allows it to interpret Visual Basic, C#, C++ etc. And don't forget to throw DirectX (specifically DirectPlay) in there too, which isn't preinstalled on OS's like 7 upwards.

On Linux however, the compiler compiles it to one common binary format and you're done. (Unless we're talking about interpreters like Python, PHP etc.) I was able to copy a version of netcat from one distro to another with absolutely no problems at all. I just wish that more programs were pre-compiled online in easy-to-reach places, saving time fishing through repositories to find compiled binaries for embedded versions of Linux such as TinyCore. But that unfortunately opens up a risk to things like malware etc being compiled in there too.

I like your posts lol. You seem unbiased and use logic :)

Windows update drives me insane lol. It takes soooo loooooong.

I like that. It gives me a break to do other stuff :)

I don't lie about pirating Windows...just not something I'll openly admit when I'm not sure about the rules here.

I think that spying stuff is just a bunch of tinfoil hatting. It's the main card Linux users play.

I'll try to explain: You have 2 pieces of software and you suspect foul play, we'll go on both cases

1) Piece 1 of software is closed source and later on you find out there was foul play, like it has sadly become common in this day and age. Nothing you can do about it after the fact and in some cases little option to actually stop it even if you know there's foul play. You get a patch if and when the software vendor deems it necessary which has been greatly delay and even never in some cases.

2) Piece 2 of software is open source and later on you find out there was intentional or unintentional foul play. It usually gets immediately patched or fairly quickly and if someone cannot or refuses then people can freely take the code and made a working, no foul play version. Plus the fact that anybody  can look gives you a better chance at finding issues or foul play to begin with, it's not uncommon for 1) to ignore security threads or not make em public if they assume (whenever correctly or incorrectly) that there won't be that much of an impact.

I think you can see how from a security stand point, even if neither system is perfect 2) it's just preferable. Unless you really, really, really trust Microsoft (Hint: you shouldn't)

-------

Current Rig

-------

True, but it still seems bloaty to me.

Installing Windows:

Installing Ubuntu:

Windows is so fragmented that it needs to make all those reboots just to set itself up. How sad.

and here's the dialogue you get while installing.

Windows

"readying files for installation"

"Configuring files for you"

"Setting up a few things for you"

"Hi"

"We're getting things ready for you"

"Your machine will reboot several times during the installation process"

*Using the royal "we" to make you feel better, like your hand is being held. Makes you feel like a sheep and Microsoft sound like condescending little assholes.*

Linux

Steady stream of text telling you what files are being installed, how far along the current file is with being installed, the status of all the setup procedures. The entire system is telling you its darkest secrets, secrets Microsoft would never reveal to you in its most reasonable dreams. But this OS is different. It wants you to know, it expects you to know, it loves when you know what it's doing. And you are at the helm. Nothing will prevent you, nothing will condescend you, nothing will insult your intelligence. There is no Start Menu. There are no Windows Updates. There is no "Windows is checking for a solution..."

It's just you

And the Machine.

*installation complete, a reboot is required to start from installed medium.*

I swear, if Windows didn't have any of the useless "features" that it has, I feel like it would be way smaller.

Haha I actually like how it asks me if I'm sure. I wish there was a popup that followed me around and did that everytime I pick out cereal.

That's okay, if you like having your hand held all the time, then stick with windows. Some of us like to just use the computer without being patronized all day, every day, for no real reason.

"We are sorry for the inconvenience". BullSHIT, if they were really sorry for the inconvenience there would be a patch that day, but nope, many of Windows' gaping holes go unpatched for months on end.

That's okay, if you like having your hand held all the time, then stick with windows. Some of us like to just use the computer without being patronized all day, every day, for no real reason.

"We are sorry for the inconvenience". BullSHIT, if they were really sorry for the inconvenience there would be a patch that day, but nope, many of Windows' gaping holes go unpatched for months on end.

Well I mean I have installed three different distros completely from the terminal. Do that instead of easy installer.

Also I think Linux holds your hand more tbh.

True, but it still seems bloaty to me.

I swear, if Windows didn't have any of the useless "features" that it has, I feel like it would be way smaller.

Honestly sounds to me like you guys just can't handle a complete OS.

Well I mean I have installed three different distros completely from the terminal. Do that instead of easy installer.

Have. I installed Debian from the terminal. Works fine if you understand how the system works. The idea is that you've studied it beforehand.

I like to think of it in terms of transmissions.

Windows is an automatic car. It's basically like the computer is run by itself, you're just along for the ride, telling it where to go like a rich person to a butler.

Linux is a manual car. It's more efficient when used correctly, and for all intents and purposes, you are the command center, you are part of the machine. You are the one making the decisions of all aspects of what the car does. if you tell it to go from 4th to Neutral to coast down a hill and save gas, that's your decision. If you want to drive at 25mph in 4th, you can. You are in total command, and it helps the situation immensely if you have a fair understanding of how the machine works.

Define a "complete" OS, and please try to make it objective.

Have. I installed Debian from the terminal. Works fine if you understand how the system works. The idea is that you've studied it beforehand.

I like to think of it in terms of transmissions.

Windows is an automatic car. It's basically like the computer is run by itself, you're just along for the ride, telling it where to go like a rich person to a butler.

Linux is a manual car. It's more efficient when used correctly, and for all intents and purposes, you are the command center, you are part of the machine. You are the one making the decisions of all aspects of what the car does. if you tell it to go from 4th to Neutral to coast down a hill and save gas, that's your decision. If you want to drive at 25mph in 4th, you can. You are in total command, and it helps the situation immensely if you have a fair understanding of how the machine works.

Okay yeah, I can agree with that kinda.

Define a "complete" OS, and please try to make it objective.

It was a joke my good sir.

"Complete? More like complete POS" *COD hitmarker sounds* *MLG horns*

lol

hqdefault.jpg

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linux > Winblows

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

"Complete? More like complete POS" *COD hitmarker sounds* *MLG horns*

lol

Have never heard MLG horns but hitmarker sounds...ouch :/

Glad I left you while I'm still young and free.