Firefox Moves Away From XUL-based Addons In Favor Of WebExtentions

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Good news: In the Mozilla WebExtensions wiki, they state that they are planning to add some features that chrome doesn't support in its extensions. Specifically:

We plan to add our own APIs based on the needs of existing Firefox add-ons.

• NoScript-type functionality. This would come in the form of extensions to webRequest and possibly contentSettings.
  • Sidebars. Opera already supports sidebar functionality; Chrome may soon. We would like to be able to implement Tree Style Tabs or Vertical Tabs by hiding the tab strip and showing a tab sidebar.
  • Toolbars. Firefox has a lot of existing toolbar add-ons.
  • Better keyboard shortcut support. We'd like to support Vimperator-type functionality. (@alpenwasser)
  • Ability to add tabs to about:addons.
  • Ability to modify the tab strip (Tab Mix Plus).
  • Ability to take images of frames/tabs (like canvas.drawWindow)

So most existing firefox extensions can probably be ported to WebExtensions, with only some particularly deeply hooking, unusual extensions not being supported. Hopefully.

So sad, with this firefox will lose even more users, its probably gonna become a minor player in browser market and donate some of its userbase to chrome with that decision.

Good news: In the Mozilla WebExtensions wiki, they state that they are planning to add some features that chrome doesn't support in its extensions. Specifically:

We plan to add our own APIs based on the needs of existing Firefox add-ons.

• NoScript-type functionality. This would come in the form of extensions to webRequest and possibly contentSettings.
  • Sidebars. Opera already supports sidebar functionality; Chrome may soon. We would like to be able to implement Tree Style Tabs or Vertical Tabs by hiding the tab strip and showing a tab sidebar.
  • Toolbars. Firefox has a lot of existing toolbar add-ons.
  • Better keyboard shortcut support. We'd like to support Vimperator-type functionality. (@alpenwasser)
  • Ability to add tabs to about:addons.
  • Ability to modify the tab strip (Tab Mix Plus).
  • Ability to take images of frames/tabs (like canvas.drawWindow)

So most existing firefox extensions can probably be ported to WebExtensions, with only some particularly deeply hooking, unusual extensions not being supported. Hopefully.

HTTP/2 203

I assume even then they could work with the new thing to make old stuff work?

I've been using the Opera beta for a few weeks and I love it, longtime Firefox user here and I just don't really understand this move at all.  

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I just came back to Mozilla due to retarded Chrome loading all my 30+ tabs at once when I open it, not to mention eating all my ram.

If this breaks IDM I will strangle a cat /jk

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP

FF running themselves into the ground.......