UK wants to create a honeypot of centralised personal financial data

HKZeroFive

The UK government is working with Google, Microsoft, and the financial industry to create a digital "vault" in which "every detail of people's finances could be collated and stored," according to a report in The Telegraph. Ultimately, this vault would store "people's address, phone numbers, tax details, where they are registered to vote, driving records and benefit claims, as well as information about their mortgages, pensions and bank accounts" in a single, unified database. Gulp.

One of the claimed benefits of the scheme is that it would make it easier to sign up for bank accounts and other financial services. The vault would replace the current system, whereby applicants need to send in copies of key documents such as passports to corroborate their personal information. In the future, "to check someone's identity, a company would then ask potential customers a series of questions and check the answers against the information in the vault."

That means the vault would need to be online so that it could be queried millions of times a day by financial institutions, and probably beyond: once a centralised identity system is in place, it will be natural for others to turn to it when people need to establish who they are. The system is supposedly "opt-in," but the UK's England's Care.data medical database was supposedly opt-out, and look what happened there. If created, it's likely that the vault will be one of those non-optional optional systems: you don't have to join, but if you decide not to, you can't sign up for anything important.

Of course, by placing such a centralised store of key financial data online, the scheme would create not just an irresistible honeypot, but an incredibly vulnerable one too. Even assuming every data security measure were taken, and that there were no errors in the code (just kidding), the vault would be under constant attack by just about every state and non-state actor hoping to get lucky. Which, in the end, somebody will.

NO. NO. NO. What is this? How is this good in anyway? I'm done, honestly.

Sauce: http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/08/uk-wants-to-create-worlds-largest-honeypot-of-centralised-personal-financial-data/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

All it takes is one person to make one hack to have all the money from all of the UK citizens bravo UK bravo

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

This is probably the stupidest idea I've ever heard....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Yay for hackers.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Yay for hackers.

They're the only people that can prove the idiots that think this is a good idea wrong.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

They're the only people that can prove the idiots that think this is a good idea wrong.

And you know that if they do this--they will.  Hell, you'll probably see an honest White-hat do it not long after it is made just to show how bad of an idea it is before a black-hat gets to work.

Well they need to build this & someone needs to break it only then they'll understand how deep this shit is, i hate to say it but the Illuminati guys are kinda making sense as days go by, everything under one control?  it's literally a virtual prison we live in & people are too distracted to act against it at all..

Details separate people.

I wonder if this will be UK wide or whether regional parliaments can block it.

Complete lunacy. While the benefits do look tempting i do not believe they have thought this through enough. 

Ignoring the potential for it to be abused by hackers or even big corporations there is also an inherent morality issue here. Its it really acceptable for government to hoard information on its citizens? I would argue no.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

So a more efficient less secure database that already exists?

Am I missing something??

And then all the hackers get all the data at once 

Well done slow  clap* clap* clap*

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Only a complete idiot like Camoron or IDS (Idiot Dickhead Smith) or Captain Cocaine formally-known-as-George-Osbourne could come up with an idea this completely braindead.

This is a hackers wet dream laid with its legs spread out on the dining room table. If they go through with this then god help all of us, it'll only be a matter of time before someone finds a weakness, and as they proved with Universal Credit, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, let alone manage an entire nations financial data.

Who'll oversee access to it? The banks? we saw what happened in 2008 how good they are at managing anything. Capt. Cocaine? He can only just manage to not piss himself while he's walking, never mind the entire nations personal information.

I hope that this is just another thinktank idea that will get shot down before it even gets past planning stages.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Please somebody help me move away from the UK!!!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh, I thought it was a real honeypot. I couldn't figure out what reason they would have for making that, and even how, since they don't have a centralised place for all personal financial data.

Oh well...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This already exist, they are called credit bureaus. I'm totally in favor of this idea. Having one centralized location to pull data from, instead of having to pull it from 3 different credit bureaus like it's done here in the states. Having one credit score instead of 3. This has been talked about in the states. It saves time money and resources. Having your informed stored in one located is worth the trade off of having in stored in 3. If this info is being stored for government use, than i'm totally against it.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

This is fucking genius.

Forgot the /s :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Forgot the /s :P

Wasn't sarcasm, this is great. Maybe now they'll finally learn something.

I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge in the Ars Technica article. They're not creating a honeypot at all.

In computer terminology, a honeypot is a trap set to detect, deflect, or, in some manner, counteract attempts at unauthorized use of information systems. Generally, a honeypot consists of a computer, data, or a network site that appears to be part of a network, but is actually isolated and monitored, and which seems to contain information or a resource of value to attackers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_(computing)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Wasn't sarcasm, this is great. Maybe now they'll finally learn something.

It will only take a relatively skilled hacker to break into it and then EVERYONE will be fucked ;) 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

All it takes is one person to make one hack to have all the money from all of the UK citizens bravo UK bravo

The Plot to Die Hard 4!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

After 2 days:

g1371125136160327480.jpg

Imagine if it was like Person of Interest?!  :wacko:  :blink:  :unsure:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

It will only take a relatively skilled hacker to break into it and then EVERYONE will be fucked ;)

They need to learn somehow.