AMD discrete GPU market share eroded to less than 20 per cent

Mads-Ejnar

Or they will give AMD some money so they will live and Nvidia is not force to split? 

just a thought.

That's the more likely option - hence why I stated that a split is unlikley a few posts above.

Honestly - Nvidia is taking advantage of their reputation too much - AMD currently hold the 2 most selling price points - 380 and 390 beat out the 970 and 960 - no amount of broken hair physics, tessellated horses or crappy batman games will make up for it in my mind.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

yes they would - were Nvidia to be the only discrete GPU manufacturer anti-monopoly laws would kick in forcing them to split the company and get a lot of law suits headed their way.

You have no idea how this kind of things work.

If anything integrated graphics remains a thing.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

i wonder how a competionless GPU market would function

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The result of propaganda, fanboys and vendor lock in. This is a really scary perspective for consumers, who well get worse products, less options and higher prices, if this continues.

I do however see AMD get markshare back once DX12 starts to take over, and probably Vulkan too. After all when NVidia has to lie to defend their poor DX12 performance, you know it's bad: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/432063-first-directx-12-game-benchmarked-update-1-nvidia-claims-debunked/

Two things wrong with this. The only company I really see having propaganda is AMD every press release they have complaining or saying X is a Y Killer.

Second, AMD and Nvidia performed roughly the same in that DX12 test, slightly better than AMD. Only that AMD had a bigger jump in performance from their DX11 drivers (which is a sad thing actually).

Is it just me or is there some ulterioir motive to all this negative AMD news... *pieces together conspiracy theories* (please take what I say with a grain of salt... I'm concerned for the company and its employees and the future of the GPU and CPU markets...)

750 Ti to R9 370? You can't see they're not the same league?

I was comparing performance/price. The 750Ti and the R7 370 cost the same, the R7 370 performs better.

You have no idea how this kind of things work.

If anything integrated graphics remains a thing.

You really think Intel can compete with anyone in the discrete GPU market?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I was comparing performance/price. The 750Ti and the R7 370 cost the same, the R7 370 performs better.

I dunno what world you live in but the 370 consistently costs more..

750 Ti to R9 R7 370? You can't see they're not the same league?

ftfy 

r9 370s are OEM cards that no one can really buy in the market. It is essentially a r7 265 which is also the competitor for the 750 Ti. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

ftfy 

r9 370s are OEM cards that no one can really buy in the market. It is essentially a r7 265 which is also the competitor for the 750 Ti. 

Keep thinking it's an R9 series, sorry.

You really think Intel can compete with anyone in the discrete GPU market?

No, because they aren't.

Not in the sense of trying to distribute dedicated graphics processors no.

You really think it would end up like that?

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Two things wrong with this. The only company I really see having propaganda is AMD every press release they have complaining or saying X is a Y Killer.

Second, AMD and Nvidia performed roughly the same in that DX12 test, slightly better than AMD. Only that AMD had a bigger jump in performance from their DX11 drivers (which is a sad thing actually).

Well they have a point, which more and more reviewers and tech sites are starting to realize (Primarily black boxed proprietary GameWorks).

As for the second point, you seem to forget that the AMD cards, equally or out performaning the NVidia cards, are cheaper.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

No, because they aren't.

Not in the sense of trying to distribute dedicated graphics processors no.

You really think it would end up like that?

Likely AMD will get financial help - like I said in my first post - but it is not impossible for an Nvidia split to be forced.

i wonder how a competionless GPU market would function

I could see benefits from having a single GPU market.

1. We may not have to upgrade our card a lot depending on whether the only company on the market decides to just slow down. Perhaps the cycle of which they release new cards will be longer, so that each generation will be worth an upgrade.

2. We will see the graphics in games stagnate, which imo is the best thing that could happen. I truly want to see developers add more features to the core game rather than make everything look prettier (Which was my main problem with Witcher 3. Gameplay felt much like Witcher 2, despite Witcher 2 completely change the core from Witcher 1). If we really think about why games like Ark are mad popular right now, it is truly because no game currently is even close to letting you do the same thing. This is why I'm really hype for Fallout 4, instead of all the more visually appealing games that were shown.

Not that I want AMD to go down, but there needs to be more change in the GPU market and game industry.

Well they have a point, which more and more reviewers and tech sites are starting to realize (Primarily black boxed proprietary GameWorks).

As for the second point, you seem to forget that the AMD cards, equally or out performaning the NVidia cards, are cheaper.

And have problems as we've seen in that test.

Don't care for UK prices. ;)

polls_bush_pmm107_3211_78719_answer_5_xl

weird, I read Mercury Research's latest August 13, 2015 report and the numbers are slightly different. AMD definitely lost discrete desktop GPU market share, but it did not dip below 20%. the 18% number seems to be deliberately misleading. In fact, I don't know where Nvidia even got that number, because it does not appear to be from Mercury Research.

http://www.mercuryresearch.com/graphics-pr-2015-q3.pdf

gallery_62868_1880_40741.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Likely AMD will get financial help - like I said in my first post - but it is not impossible for an Nvidia split to be forced.

Yes, AMD could get a cash infusion, that is entirely within the realm of possibilities.

On this matter? Yes it is.

Firstly that is extremely ignorant, you have to evaluate the whole market. Secondly:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7060210m

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr73702gbd5ppdhe

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn75toc2gl

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r73702gd5toc

Firstly that is extremely ignorant, you have to evaluate the whole market. 

So the UK is the whole market? Gotcha.

Also, taking the handful of cards that are overpriced which no one buys does not prove your point. The 750 Ti is cheaper than the 370 on average.

Which problems would that be?

Has the 370 even been tested in DX12? 750TI Maxwell 107 is only feature level DX11.0.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So the UK is the whole market? Gotcha.

Also, taking the handful of cards that are overpriced which no one buys does not prove your point. The 750 Ti is cheaper than the 370 on average.

I also showed the US market. That is most of the market right there. Even the cheapest 750Ti (btw a single fan crud variant) is less than $30 cheaper. The cheapest good 750Ti costs $20 less. Close enoguh that they could fluctuate to within $10 of each other.

Which problems would that be?

Has the 370 even been tested in DX12? 750TI Maxwell 107 is only feature level DX11.0.

Look at the results and see the obvious answer.

I also showed the US market. That is most of the market right there. Even the cheapest 750Ti (btw a single fan crud variant) is less than $30 cheaper. The cheapest good 750Ti costs $20 less. Close enoguh that they could fluctuate to within $10 of each other.

Okiedokie artichokie, whatevery you say.

Okiedokie artichokie, whatevery you say.

>Spouts nonsense when has no viable answer

k, not debating any more with you.,

In other words, you have no argument at all? NVidia's DX11 specific optimizations does not work on this DX12 title. Not just their multithreaded driver for DX11, but also their proprietary shaders are rendered void here. What we are seeing is closer to what the hardware is actually capable of.

I agree that AMD's DX11 drivers hasn't been up to par, but the hardware has, and that is what DX12 is showing so far.