Indians of LTT, I have a question for you

MatazaNZ

I am from India.

just for info - Not every citizen of India is a Hindu, but majority of population is Hindu

The agitation by that person might be because Hindus consider cows as sacred & they don't like harming them by any means, that includes - killing as well as eating beef

For more details why - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu

I once heard there was a death penalty on killing (on purpose or accidentally) a cow in India. Not sure though

No. but ban on Cattle slaughter in multiple states of India exists - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_slaughter_in_India

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

There is no death penalty on accidentally killing a cow in India...at least I hope not

I once heard this like ages ago.

No. but ban on Cattle slaughter in multiple states of India exists - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_slaughter_in_India

Oh, alright :)

I thought I heard something like that in school ages ago

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Bit of a contradiction there.

Maybe the "Hindu" (Hindi?) word more or less equivalent to sacred but NOT sacred.

Pedantic, moi?

Hindu - religion, Hindi - Language

I just meant that for the person whom I quoted. What I meant exactly is that though sacred is an English word but what it signifies is applicable to anything irrespective of country. I mean its not like people who know only English are going to learn Hindi when they want to refer to something sacred in India and there are words in Hindi which mean exactly the same as sacred. The word being 'Poojniya', 'Dharmik' and quite a few more. So, no contradiction here.

I am Indian.

I am offended that you all seem to think that Indian = Hindu.

Were not all dumb. Just the majority.

Thats more fucked up then what anyone else is saying.... 

@Rohith_Kumar_Sp... plz

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

In Hinduism, the cow is revered as the source of food and symbol of life and may never be killed. However, many non-Hindus interpret these beliefs to mean that Hindus worship cows. This is not true. It is more accurate to say the cow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu

Due to the multiple benefits from cattle, there are varying beliefs about cattle in societies and religions. In some regions, especially Nepal and some states in India, the slaughter of cattle is prohibited and their meat may be taboo. Cattle are considered sacred in world religions such as Hinduism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism and others. Religions in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Israel and Ancient Rome held similar beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion#In_India

http://www.harekrsna.de/kamadhenu.htm

i'm an Athiest, so i dont care about any of this, but i was born in an environment where you worship cows and not eat them, i will continue not eating them, but if born in US, this wouldnt have mattered to me.

back to topic, selling beef is banned in India 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-32172768

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/18/opinion/sunday/manil-suri-a-ban-on-beef-in-india-is-not-the-answer.html?_r=0

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I am anti theist.

I am too (actually im atheist but too lazy to find the difference) but don't call someone with a belief "dumb"

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

i'm an Athiest, so i dont care about any of this, but i was born in an environment where you worship cows and not eat them, i will continue not eating them, but if born in US, this wouldnt have mattered to me.

That doesnt actually change much tbh... 

Is she a cow?  Or the mother of cows? 

She is depicted as half cow/half human, (with wings and two tails).

Venerated ≠ sacred.

as there are Greek gods such as Zeus and titans there are Indian deception of gods, In India all animals serves as vehicle to one or the other, exception being Cow. that flying wings with cow is just one of the many versions, each region in India has their own image of god. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Then you're not an anti theist!

TL;DR the difference?

I am too (actually im atheist but too lazy to find the difference) but don't call someone with a belief "dumb"

Atheist = lack the belief in a deity (a god)

Anti theist = Atheist + against religions

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Anti theist = Atheist + against religions

Against religions or just doesnt believe in a religion? 

That doesnt actually change much tbh... 

you only learn gods and ghost from your parents, you weren't born with restriction that you can or can not eat certain animals, Muslims cant eat pigs, and Hindus cant eat cows and snake, and then there's china eating cockroaches and rats, people who created religion probably didn't think people would eat them hence they did not bother to write any rules of you eating a cockroach .

humans are called omnivores for a reason. we're just flesh and meant.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Atheist and Anti theist both don't believe in religion (at least not in gods) but anti theist I guess.. Are a bit more extreme as in saying all religions are stupid and disrespecting other because they believe in religion.

Atheist = doesn't belkeve

Anti theist = hates and opposes religion.

I started calling myself the latter because I kept creating a negative image for atheists.

Linus is my fetish.

you only learn gods and ghost from your parents, you weren't born with restriction that you can or can not eat certain animals, Muslims cant eat pigs, and Hindus cant eat cows and snake, and then there's china eating cockroaches and rats, people who created religion probably didn't think people would eat them hence they did not bother ti write any rules of you eating a cockroach .

humans are called carnivorous for a reason. we're just flesh and meant.

Aren't humans omnivores, because we eat meat but also fruits and stuff?

hating religion actually needs you to believe in such things to hate. 

you can only hate someone when someone exist to hate, that's not Atheist, Atheist dont have a rule or a code, i dont hate god or religion, we simply dont believe such thing exist. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Aren't humans omnivores, because we eat meat but also fruits and stuff?

Fixed. oops...

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Nope.  There are no sacred cows in India. The term "sacred" is a Christian one; doesn't really apply to India. Even if it did, it wouldn't apply to cows. There are no cow deities, cow icons, cow statues, and no temples to cows. Cows are one of the few animals that are not the object of worship in India.

lets keep it fair, you don't live in India, so don't claim something you dont know the reality, the same way i dont know the culture of Scotland and wont claim to know something where i dont live.

on the list of sacred things(animals), cows comes first, then the snakes and then comes elephant. all of those 3 things are sacred in India. monkeys as well. 

all 3 of those animals have their history set in Indian history (mythology) which you obviously aren't interested in knowing about .

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

lets keep it fair, you don't live in India, so don't claim something you dont know the reality,

I know I don't live in India .I was not saying cows aren't venerated etc.  I was being a bit pedantic saying they are not "Sacred" as nothing is "Sacred" to a Hindu as Sacred is a Christian concept/word.  A bit pedantic and dissingenious I know but...

I am not hating on Hindus in any way.

I am agnostic personaly but pretty much respect ALL religions.  Can't be bothered with extremists but there you go.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I know I don't live in India .I was not saying cows aren't venerated etc.  I was being a bit pedantic saying they are not "Sacred" as nothing is "Sacred" to a Hindu as Sacred is a Christian concept/word.  A bit pedantic and dissingenious I know but...

I am not hating on Hindus in any way.

I am agnostic personaly but pretty much respect ALL religions.  Can't be bothered with extremists but there you go.

besides the fact my point was you saying they are not sacred when you didn't know anything about it except what you read on a google search, in the future when someone asks about someone else's culture avoid claiming things based on a google search, not everything's on google. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

At least I didn't insinuate that all  Hindus come from India. "you don't live in India, so don't claim something you dont know" <-- In a thread about Hinduism (only people who come from India will know anything about Hinduism).

Oh and I didn't find any of that in a Google search

Not everyone has the same mind set as you.   Google is not used by everybody all the time I can tell you about Hero(n) inventing a steam engine[1],the Aeolilpile, in ancient Greece without using Google but I am NOT an ancient Greek, some people know things without a Google search.

[1] Some say it wasn't an engine as power was not taken from it, it was used as a toy/novelty,   .

"This too shall pass"

At least I didn't insinuate that all  Hindus come from India. "you don't live in India, so don't claim something you dont know" <-- In a thread about Hinduism (only people who come from India will know anything about Hinduism).

Oh and I didn't find any of that in a Google search

Not everyone has the same mind set as you.   Google is not used by everybody all the time I can tell you about Hero(n) inventing a steam engine[1],the Aeolilpile, in ancient Greece without using Google but I am NOT an ancient Greek, some people know things without a Google search.

[1] Some say it wasn't an engine as power was not taken from it, it was used as a toy/novelty,   .

The fact you said cows are not scared tells me how much you know anything at all, as i said you dont live here, you dont know the customs , you will never know them as no one is updating it to wiki's or the interwebs, some customs you can only know if you live where it exists, i'm sure there's 100's of customs in scotland that i'll never find searching the interweb's as i never lived in that part of the country to know it.

i can't help if you got offended mentioning the fact "you only know that because you googled it", if not google any of the search engines, unless you were thought if it in your text books the only way you can know about any of the customs of other countries is if you search the interweb , and it's not all on the interweb, 

as i said next time when someone asks "a question to Indians", stay out of it instead calling it's not 'true/sacred" when you dont even know or follow the customs. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

For what seems the gazzilionth time Cows are NOT sacred to Hindus. "Sacred" is a Christian concept.  ...and in case you hadn't noticed Hindus are not Christian.

As for "follow the customs " that really is laughable so you are saying you can't know things without living that way? I know the difference between Vegetarian and Vegan but I am a meat eater "oh no everything I think I know about not eating meat is a fiction as I do not live the Vegetarian lifestyle".

Anyway I tire of this to and fro, you may have the last word if you wish I am done with this.

"This too shall pass"