Indians of LTT, I have a question for you

MatazaNZ

Before I start off, if I'm wrong about anything, forgive me, I'm not exactly knowledgeable in this area.

If I remember right, it's Hindu where it is forbidden to eat beef, correct? I have a question about it. I overheard a customer as my local McDonalds, complaining that the burger he got was a beef burger, not chicken, and not knowing this, had already taken a bite out of it. Understandably, he was quite upset about having taken the bite, due to the religious reasons. What I wish to know is that, because he was not aware the burger was beef, nor did he intentionally eat beef, would he be forgiven in his religion? Like, I know eating beef is a sin in said religion, but he did not knowingly nor willfully eat beef, therefore would that be forgiven?

I'm sorry for the randomness of this question, but I'm genuinely curious, and I can't for the life of me figure it out myself, not knowing much about the religion.

SNIP

There are no real clear cut rules, I think the general idea is they would be forgiven if it was eaten by accident, its not like they are purposefully defying their religion if the food served to them was not correct

They consider cattle sacred but not all Hindus believe the same thing, and many of them eat beef too. so really its down to that persons interpretation and beliefs

I am sure if they HAD to eat beef for example if they were starving and could only eat beef, or ate it by accident they would pray for forgiveness and I imagine they would be forgiven as it was not done in malice

Religion is down to that persons beliefs, many Indians eat beef, so... really I doubt there is one specifically correct answer

Why is beef bad in this religion?

Cattle is considered Sacred to some Hindus

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why is beef bad in this religion?

Because cows are holy IIRC

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because cows are holy IIRC

Huh weird I guess. Oh well.

I'd view chicken to be holy. Which came first? Chicken or the egg!

blackshades on

I believe I once heard my Muslim friend say it was okay for him to accidentally eat pork (which is forbidden in his religion), as long as you at least tried to spit it out as soon as he ate it..

Not sure though

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Huh weird I guess. Oh well.

I'd view chicken to be holy. Which came first? Chicken or the egg!

I once heard there was a death penalty on killing (on purpose or accidentally) a cow in India. Not sure though

I once heard there was a death penalty on killing (on purpose or accidentally) a cow in India. Not sure though

What the hell. Religion is so skewed in my opinion. Believe what ya want though, you only live once!

blackshades on

Which came first? Chicken or the egg!

Both. And neither. Because evolution is weird like that sometimes.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This is specifically about a single Indian religion, not the whole of India. I know Indians eat beef, but in the Hindu religion, cows are sacred

Beef is AND isn't forbidden in the Hindu religion. What I mean is there are texts which forbid eating beef, and also texts which talk about the medicinal property of beef.

The ban against beef eating comes from a practical stand point, a cow is an animal that is very important from a agrarian stand point. It is a important animal in a agricultural society, and that is predominantly how it came about. So imposing a ban on cow and bull slaughter was just a practical way of ensuring agricultural productivity.

Yes it is still very much practiced in India, to the point that people like me who like Beef, do not get beef in North India. I come from Kerala, a state where most of the Hindus do eat beef (and have to say in a bit too unhealthy quantities considering the weather and lifestyle), but that is more due to a very secular environment (25% Muslims, 20% Christians, 50% Hindus) . In many other states, it is extremely hard to procure beef unless you are in Muslim areas, and you can never be very sure of the quality. In a few states like MP, and Gujarat, it is a crime to sell beef. So depending on where you are in India, it would still be practiced.

( ye that was googled )

(◑‿◐)

SNIPPEROONI

That makes things a little clearer to me. So my belief that this man would be forgiven, given the circumstances is quite likely it seems. It just makes me sad seeing someone else upset about something, even religious, due to a mistake that's not their own.

Side note: Mobile needs a multi quote button -.-

SNIPPEROONI

Ah, I see. As I said before, I am not very knowledgeable in this area. Or in any religion to be fair. I only know the Muslim dietary restrictions. I didn't know that different texts forbade beef, yet some don't

Ah, I see. As I said before, I am not very knowledgeable in this area. Or in any religion to be fair. I only know the Muslim dietary restrictions. I didn't know that different texts forbade beef, yet some don't

im not indian tho thats just wht i found :P

(◑‿◐)

That makes things a little clearer to me. So my belief that this man would be forgiven, given the circumstances is quite likely it seems. It just makes me sad seeing someone else upset about something, even religious, due to a mistake that's not their own.

Side note: Mobile needs a multi quote button -.-

Well assuming he believes he will be forgiven :P

Its religion and faith, there are no specific rules here

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Chicken or the egg!

The egg as chickens are believed to be descended from dinosaurs, which laid eggs.

Cattle is considered Sacred to some Hindus

Nope.  There are no sacred cows in India. The term "sacred" is a Christian one; doesn't really apply to India. Even if it did, it wouldn't apply to cows. There are no cow deities, cow icons, cow statues, and no temples to cows. Cows are one of the few animals that are not the object of worship in India.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Nope.  There are no sacred cows in India. The term "sacred" is a Christian one; doesn't really apply to India. Even if it did, it wouldn't apply to cows. There are no cow deities, cow icons, cow statues, and no temples to cows. Cows are one of the few animals that are not the object of worship in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu

Kamadhenu also known as Surabhi (सुरभि, Surabhī), is a divine bovine-goddess described in Hinduism as the mother of all cows

All cows are venerated in Hinduism

Kamadhenu as a "popular and enduring image in Indian art

800px-Batu_Caves_Kamadhenu.jpg

Is she a cow?  Or the mother of cows? 

She is depicted as half cow/half human, (with wings and two tails).

Venerated ≠ sacred.

"This too shall pass"

Is she a cow?  Or the mother of cows? 

She is depicted as half cow/half human. With wings and two tails

Venerated ≠ sacred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion#In_India

Gopastami, a holiday celebrated by the Hindus once a year, is one of the few instances where cows receive prayers and sacrifices in modern day India

Since cow slaughtering is only legal in two Indian state

Venerated - Synonym, deify- worship or regard as god - so it pretty much does mean that... 

even if it isnt "sacred" its pretty much treated the same way

There is no death penalty on accidentally killing a cow in India...at least I hope not

What the hell. Religion is so skewed in my opinion. Believe what ya want though, you only live once!

Religion is not skewed imo...its how skewed peoples interpret religion that makes it skewed

Cows are SACRED in India. Though the term sacred is "Christian word" there are Hindi versions of the word...I don't think u can say a word does or doesn't apply to a country cuz that doesn't make any sense to me. Also cows are worshiped in India the reason being a cow was the vehicle of the God Shiva and hence sacred.

Now, I am not a what u would call a traditional person cuz I dont believe in lot of things which I should considering I am Hindu but imho the person who ate the beef accidentally doesn't need forgiveness from someone else but its about whether he considers the fact that he accidentally ate beef to big enough sin that he can't forgive himself. Not considering the religious nuts (cuz they are stupid) honest mistakes are not suppose to be be all and end all. Also, imho about the whole thing there is nothing to forgive cuz the moment the person realized what he did he rectified the mistake and no-one got hurt.

Cows are SACRED in India. Though the term sacred is "Christian word"

Bit of a contradiction there.

Maybe the "Hindu" (Hindi?) word more or less equivalent to sacred but NOT sacred.

Pedantic, moi?

"This too shall pass"

I am Indian.

I am offended that you all seem to think that Indian = Hindu.

Were not all dumb. Just the majority.

Linus is my fetish.