Windows 10 vs 8.1 vs 7 Gaming Performance

So, you're okay with Microsoft taking some of your personal information.  But, when they take the same amount and speed up your updating all hell breaks loose? e.e  "Mom!  Bring me the tinfoil!"  Every time you agree to a EULA or whatever you already agree to give them personal information!  This isn't new!  The government has all your personal information :D  Just live with Spongebob!  It's the only way to be safe...or is it?

No, I'm not okay with it at all. I'm just aware that Windows 7 does it as well...just not to the same extent. You claim that the EULA for Windows 7 and 10 are the same, that they both require accepting the same things...they do not. I'm also aware that when you accept the EULA, you accept their terms. This isn't being argued and I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that it was. What is being discussed, however, is if someone should have to accept that violation or if Microsoft (or anyone else) should be able to do it in the first place.

Also, even if I am to believe the government "has all of my personal information" what difference does this make as to the problem itself? Are you saying that because someone has already molested my privacy and rights, I shouldn't care that someone else also wants to rape my privacy? If so...ignorant argument.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My point is that you're not going to escape this unless you live off the grid.  There's always going to be something taking your personal information like that.  Also, should I mention the lack of DX12 support Microsoft is planning for Windows 7?  Have fun with outdated SW.  Point is...they're gunna find some way to screw ya and you'll just end up accepting it.  I just got it over with early cuz I honestly don't care personally.  I mean I doubt XP' was as bad as 7's, but you probably accepted that too.  Oh, and I didn't mean they were exactly the same, but rather both invade your privacy. 

That's not true at all though...and if there is always going to be some company like Microsoft wishing to take what they shouldn't, people shouldn't react by letting them do it. The whole "I don't really care!" or "I have nothing to hide lolz" is what gives them the power to do this. People's inaction ruins the rights and privacy of other people. Really, the Archer quote meme comes to mind.

Oh, well you said "You ever read an EULA or ToS?  They all say and do what win 10 is doing.  o.o" so I took you literally.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I meant that last part as they all have some form of taking your privacy.  These companies will always snake it in some way.  It's what corporations do.  They all find some way, and because they are government protected about it...there's really not much you can do even if we all raised hell about it.  So, it's kinda pointless.  Ya, I get what you're saying.  However, there's no way to fight it other than just boycotting all things with an EULA, ToS, and/or whatever.  That's not going to happen, and they will always profit.

There are ways to find it. It could happen, but there are too many lazy people or people who can't find an ounce of energy in their bodies to care that their rights and privacy has been violated. If they cared, then something could be done and companies/people wouldn't be able to mine your data the way that they do.

Ya, then MS would whine to the governments about it with a large stack of cash then it would be back.  Another problem with that is also people needing Windows for work.  That could cost them their jobs.  So, that's part of why people don't.  I just accept it because I know it's not going to stop.  That's why I stopped caring so much about it.

If people stopped it or stopped endorsing it by buying their products by specifically stating that's why they aren't buying said products, then Microsoft would be forced to adjust its OSes and remove said features.

Lazy/etc customers are just as much the problem as Microsoft.

In regards to privacy concerns, remember that Microsoft is a large company. For them to be caught out sniffing around where they shouldn't or abusing any information they obtain would greatly tarnish the name of their company and destroy any public standing with them.

At the end of the day, most information your computer is sending to Microsoft is to improve your user experience, or the ads you see. http://m.blog.laptopmag.com/windows-10-privacy-issues-exaggerated is an interesting article on the subject, complete with quotes from Microsoft themselves.

I'm obviously not someone that worries about privacy as much as another could, so jumping to Win10 is a decision left up to the individual. I doubt Microsoft is as interested in the photos of my cat I have on my hard-drive as I am.

As Linus said in the previous WAN Show, there is a tool made by a reddit user to prevent information being sent to Microsoft: https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking , however I would personally have more trouble trusting it than Microsoft.

Which is my point of why just you and I raising hell about it isn't enough.  

Your original statement wasn't about how ineffective it was for me to be "raising hell". Your first point was that Windows 7 EULA also had Windows 10 privacy concerns and that I was crazy/hypocritical/orsomethinglikethat for accepting it in Windows 7, and then it was that we should just get over it because the upgrade concerns (DX12) and because they would just find a way to do it again. And then it was that  the government has all of our information anyways, so we shouldn't care if Microsoft is also mining our data and then it went back to accepting it because it won't change.

But whatever, despite that...of course a single soul isn't going to make a change. If I do it, maybe someone else will and the numbers will. And you aren't raising hell over it, and that is the problem. You and hundreds of others refuse to take some stance against it because of some reason or another. Refusing to upgrade to Windows 10, even though it has DX12 support etc, would be a very effective way to show them what we want or don't want. So if you and others who "don't care" or "just accept it" would stop and think about caring and not accepting it, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

So if it means irritating Microsoft fanboys or Win10 fanboys, I will continuously bring up the privacy settings—or rather the lack of them—until I pass over dead. Or until they change it. Because I won't change my principles just because it seems like a losing battle, or because there are more people out there who reject the concept of rights and privacy, or find it more convenient/easier to forget about them. I'd rather fight it and lose, then stand aside and be apart of the problem.

In regards to privacy concerns, remember that Microsoft is a large company. For them to be caught out sniffing around where they shouldn't or abusing any information they obtain would greatly tarnish the name of their company and destroy any public standing with them.

At the end of the day, most information your computer is sending to Microsoft is to improve your user experience, or the ads you see. http://m.blog.laptopmag.com/windows-10-privacy-issues-exaggerated is an interesting article on the subject, complete with quotes from Microsoft themselves.

I'm obviously not someone that worries about privacy as much as another could, so jumping to Win10 is a decision left up to the individual. I doubt Microsoft is as interested in the photos of my cat I have on my hard-drive as I am.

As Linus said in the previous WAN Show, there is a tool made by a reddit user to prevent information being sent to Microsoft: https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking , however I would personally have more trouble trusting it than Microsoft.

Why does Microsoft's interest in photos of your cat mean it is okay to spy on you and dig through your personal information? Does it mean it would matter to you if they had interest in seeing photos of your cat? Does the lack of interest make the violation of privacy okay?

Actually, that's just the Asperger's, yes I have it, way of making a point.   :D  The reason I don't do anything about it is because even if I tried...how many would listen?

Does it matter if only a handful would listen and reject Windows 10? Does that make it less important? Would you really throw away your principles because most other people don't have them? Isn't fighting for something you believe in and know to be the right direction better than just letting people trample all over you?

Refusing to upgrade to Windows 10, even though it has DX12 support etc, would be a very effective way to show them what we want or don't want. So if you and others who "don't care" or "just accept it" would stop and think about caring and not accepting it, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

Unfortunately they've been injecting telemetry tools into Win7 and 8.1 earlier this year through Windows Update, so you can't trust that anymore either.  (source)

This basically means that refusing to upgrade to Win10 doesn't help.  They're getting the data anyway. 

The only good solution ...

windows_vs_linux.jpg

Unfortunately they've been injecting telemetry tools into Win7 and 8.1 earlier this year through Windows Update, so you can't trust that anymore either.  (source)

This basically means that refusing to upgrade to Win10 doesn't help.  They're getting the data anyway. 

The only good solution ...

windows_vs_linux.jpg

I'm actually on Linux at the moment. I very rarely go into my Windows 7 install.

As for the telemetry tools...can't a user just disregard the update that implements it? When a user agreed to the EULA of Win7 I doubt it included the things in the EULA for Win10, so I don't get how they are allowed to do that.

You can disregard them indeed.  I'm not sure what happens though if you've installed them and want to remove them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tools remain intact. 

Either way, I don't plan on ruining my own Win7 install or creating a virtual one just to find out. 

Actually, that's just the Asperger's, yes I have it, way of making a point.   :D  The reason I don't do anything about it is because even if I tried...how many would listen?

If 2 people listen and they manage to convince 2 others each, who in turn manage to convince 2 others each, etc etc, you have eventually convinced enough people to make a change.  If each of us manages to convince 2 people, it'll go a lot quicker.

I'm not sure if its been pointed out but the issue with default icons shown at the bottom tray is possible.

Right Click Arrow in Tray -> Properties -> Notification area: Customize -> Select which icons appear on the taskbar -> Plug in a jump drive and it will show up in the list and you just flip it to the on position.

Your original statement wasn't about how ineffective it was for me to be "raising hell". Your first point was that Windows 7 EULA also had Windows 10 privacy concerns and that I was crazy/hypocritical/orsomethinglikethat for accepting it in Windows 7, and then it was that we should just get over it because the upgrade concerns (DX12) and because they would just find a way to do it again. And then it was that  the government has all of our information anyways, so we shouldn't care if Microsoft is also mining our data and then it went back to accepting it because it won't change.

But whatever, despite that...of course a single soul isn't going to make a change. If I do it, maybe someone else will and the numbers will. And you aren't raising hell over it, and that is the problem. You and hundreds of others refuse to take some stance against it because of some reason or another. Refusing to upgrade to Windows 10, even though it has DX12 support etc, would be a very effective way to show them what we want or don't want. So if you and others who "don't care" or "just accept it" would stop and think about caring and not accepting it, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

So if it means irritating Microsoft fanboys or Win10 fanboys, I will continuously bring up the privacy settings—or rather the lack of them—until I pass over dead. Or until they change it. Because I won't change my principles just because it seems like a losing battle, or because there are more people out there who reject the concept of rights and privacy, or find it more convenient/easier to forget about them. I'd rather fight it and lose, then stand aside and be apart of the problem.

Why does Microsoft's interest in photos of your cat mean it is okay to spy on you and dig through your personal information? Does it mean it would matter to you if they had interest in seeing photos of your cat? Does the lack of interest make the violation of privacy okay?

I'd like to point out that computers being constructed currently are likely to already have WIndows 10 on them so I doubt they really care. As said in some video I recently viewed Microsoft makes the majority of their revenue off of licensing agreements with manufacturers and not with the little guy upgrading to Windows 10. Also, its free. You wouldn't be paying them for it even if you did upgrade. In the future security updates will start to dwindle off and your mindset of being protected by staying in the past will depreciate incredibly quickly. Then your sense of privacy will go away and you will be forced to move forward. Fight on though, get that privacy you wish for.

I dont know why but when I tried windows 10 my boot time increased from 40 seconds to over a minute. Also you cant change the color of the window borders. You have white and thats it. Too bright for me.

A few other things turn me off of 10 also so after a few weeks I went back to windows 7. The was nothing major wrong with it. Just a bunch of small things.

You can change to high contrast mode and it changes the background of apps to black by default. Then you can go in and change the colors for that mode to be something a little less pastel style. See image.

Qq9s0sm.png