Windows 10 vs 8.1 vs 7 Gaming Performance

also the lighting. 

Only difference i've noticed from upgrading to Win10 from 8.1 is that my laptop doesn't get as warm as it use to, and the fans don't need to ramp up as much/often as they use to. Haven't actually looked into the temperatures though since I never really kept track of that in 8.1 to make any comparisons. 

Xbutt Uno Super

I have heard the operating system itself is smaller (gb wise) is that true?

CPU Intel Core i7-9700K MOBO ROG STRIX Z390-E RAM  G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition CASE  NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case STORAGE  Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 and Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

@LinusTech My answer for the problem at 3:02 in the video: right click the taskbar, click properties than in the Taskbar tab go down to Notification area: click Customize, than go to Select which icons appear on the taskbar

You can also just click-drag them from the hidden icons pop-up window to the task bar, and even reorder them

Am I the only one who likes the metro UI with mouse and keyboard.

Anyhow, I think I'm holding up on windows 10 until Killer Instinct releases for W10.

I personally don't mind the initial startup screen and the big "app drawer" type way of laying out all programs is more cumbersome than dreadful in my eyes. The Win10 menu actually seems to fit my ideal thinking about it but something about the way it worked when I was trying out the preview just made the grid section and the list section so disjoint.

I'm really surprised there was no mention at all of the spying and  data collecting that windows 10 has written in the terms of use

Linus has always been doing his very best to avoid that topic.

what is with the colors?

also the lighting. 

They are using footage of the old kitchen with Linus standing in front of a green screen and its very, very obvious.  They probably messed with the colors and lighting to try to make it less obvious?  It just makes it more obvious though.  Also 2-3 times in the video they screwed up the scene so the kitchen in the background zooms in/out (2:43), disappears completely (5:41), and the still image vs looped footage gives it no life.

PS:  Linus, you can right click on taskbar -> properties and the option for showing/hiding icons in the system tray is in there.

Why?

If you're gonna review something why leave out something that matters to some people?

Edit: I guess it isn't a review, the title just asks if Windows 10 is good for gamers or not

Redliquid~

Really now? Idiotic, huh. What a way to enter a discussion. It's not idiotic just because you disagree.

Anyway, I don't see a problem. You're the one who takes offense to these things. How are you planning to change the industry's mind? By posting on a forum that you don't like what they're doing? By not upgrading to the newest version because it sends usage data to microsoft? Whatever dude, stay on W7, but I'm not downgrading anymore. I love W10.

I do feel the need to add here that I do not actually condone what they are doing, but I really don't care. at all. Being indifferent != condoning something. They can have my info. Really, they can. What do I care? Why should I care? They probably should disclose what exactly they gather and what for, I do agree with that.

That being said, In order for this "movement" to really take off, you need some very clear evidence of what exactly is being stolen, and who can actually access it. It was the same way with the whole Edward Snowden thing. No one gave a shit until he proved that people were actually looking at personal pictures they gathered. As long as MS doesn't read my communications, I won't care.

My comment still stands though. If you want to change the way the industry thinks, you need to show them that you can live without their stuff. You need to boycott them, which does indeed mean you stop using their tech in this digital age. If you use it, you agree to their terms, which is something you obviously don't want to do. There, unfortunately, is no other way. Being a keyboard warrior isn't going to help in this case. Sure, you can try to circumvent and prevent the leaking of your "precious" information through various ways, but the truth is that you probably end up giving more away than what you are trying to protect. You can also use alternative technology, such as linux for your OS (though ubuntu has sold info to amazon in the past), but that's ultimately the same thing but less harsh. You're still giving up a bunch of features in favor of "Privacy". The choice is yours. I choose to use 10 with the knowledge that some of my information is being sent to Microsoft.

So yes, if you don't want to get "spied" on you have to make a point, which at this point in time means you have to get rid of the people who "spy" on you. That's how this works.

You have rambled a great deal by repeating my own words. Boycotting those who mine your data or spy on you does not in any way—as you first suggested—mean giving up technology entirely. The argument "don't use technology if you want privacy" is absolutely stupid. So if an argument being made is stupid, it doesn't change the discussion negatively by pointing it out. I'm not going to tippy-toe around the truth because it might hurt someone. I'm not offended either, but I suppose this "it isn't stupid just because you disagree" bit was an effort to make my point seem unimportant by painting me as having "unacceptable behavior" for a debate. It didn't. No one should give up the right of something so that someone else can't do what they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Since you seem to have largely missed my point, yes, actions like not upgrading to Windows 10 or verbally bashing them across forums (and giving feedback or voicing it on videos such as Linus' videos)  is a good way to get your message across. Sitting on your hands, like you are doing, and accepting the free upgrade and the data mining that goes with it is condoning it. You may find it an ugly truth, but it is a truth nonetheless. Your inability to act, if I'm to believe you don't condone it (your stance reflects the opposite), shows them that people do not care enough for their privacy and rights and that they can continue their behavior.

So yes, when you accept that they are mining the fack out of your personal information and do not attempt to confront it but get behind it with some skewed excuse, you are condoning it. Denying it won't change it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Windows 10 isn't worth it at all to me with all of that spying going on. I really liked it too, until I found out how bad it was. So until they remove that, I would not recommend an upgrade to anyone.

LOL if they made clean WINDOWS 10 it would be much much faster then any other windows.

Just imagine so many fucking things are going in the background and it's on par with windows 8.1 in speed side :D 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Lousy vid...

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Just watched the video and i somewhat concur with Linus on a big thumbs up for Win10 but there are a few tweaks that seem to be elusive or just not applicable in Win10 or i just haven't found it yet. I will say i am working on a few things like being able to permanently set network configuration depending on what you want rather than what windows default is, namely, the CTCP for network traffic. Anyway i say @Linus said he couldn't work out the icon thing in the taskbar well this is how i did it.

How to set icons in Windows10 taksbar....

1. Go to "Settings"
  2. Then "System"
  3. Then "Notifications and Actions"
  4. On the left right, click on "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"...sometimes it glitches out and is unresponsive, if it does then, you click on "Turn system icons on or off" then just go back and click on "Select which icons appear on the taskbar", it should respond then
  5. Now just look for the icon you want and move the corresponding slider to on or off as you desire
Edited by Leonard

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

In the age of the internet GL avoiding it. 

no don't i just saw this. if you change any hardware you will have to go and buy a copy of windows 10. i just saw this and i was amazed http://imgur.com/a/8OJ4t

That seems totally incorrect and it seems like that person is just uninformed.

If that is legit then that's messed up.

was i the only one who noticed the contrast/color was off a tad? It seems very "dark" Well maybe the lighting rig wasn't set properly.... B)

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

In the age of the internet GL avoiding it. 

Is easy, don't talk about it...  :blink:

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

@LinusTech Windows 10 made it really easy to keep notifications seen.  Just click on the 'Show hiddin icons' button, click and hold the notification you want and drag it over and drop it to your windows bar.  Walla it stays!  

I could be insane, but I could swear GTA 5 performs a ton better on windows 10 than on windows 7! Either that, or it inexplicably looks better (maybe dx11.1 features?) because myself and a bunch of friends have all commented on it looking "sharper" on windows 10. We could be going insane, however.

Same here O_O I'm getting ALOT less lag on even my crappy integrated 4000 graphics compared to 8.1

I'm really surprised there was no mention at all of the spying and  data collecting that windows 10 has written in the terms of use

The video was focused on gaming performance though, not Win10 privacy concerns...

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

@LinusTech Windows 10 made it really easy to keep notifications seen.  Just click on the 'Show hiddin icons' button, click and hold the notification you want and drag it over and drop it to your windows bar.  Walla it stays!  

Windows 10 also makes it easy to use the Calculator app to spy on your USB ph34r.png

a24qhkc.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Windows 10 isn't worth it at all to me with all of that spying going on. I really liked it too, until I found out how bad it was. So until they remove that, I would not recommend an upgrade to anyone.

Oh that spying stuff you can turn off if you have a brain and not click next, next during installation?

no don't i just saw this. if you change any hardware you will have to go and buy a copy of windows 10. i just saw this and i was amazed http://imgur.com/a/8OJ4t

That is completely incorrect

Has anyone else experienced a general buggines with the windows 10 upgrade? Things like slow boot up time, problems with the display not rendering correctly sometimes, 2-finger scrolling not always working etc...

Oh that spying stuff you can turn off if you have a brain and not click next, next during installation?

Firstly, not all of the options are there to turn off at installation. Secondly and lastly, in order to even fully "disable" all of the data mining and invasion of privacy options you have to edit the registry and perform a whole bunch of other edits to disable these "features" (which, for some ends up breaking their install or just not working).

If you are naive enough to believe the options presented to you during the installation of Windows 10 concerning your privacy are the only options mining the foobar out of your personal data...well then, someone needs to see the great Wizard of Oz.

Has anyone else experienced a general buggines with the windows 10 upgrade? Things like slow boot up time, problems with the display not rendering correctly sometimes, 2-finger scrolling not always working etc...

Yes to some of those. My boot time jumped up to two minutes and occasionally my display will drop to 800x600 before going back to 1920x1080. I haven't had some of your other issues (yet).

I hear doing a clean install will get rid of these problems.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You ever read an EULA or ToS?  They all say and do what win 10 is doing.  O.o

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure Windows 7's EULA does not compare to the Win10's one, nor have I ever come across Windows 7 hidden privacy violations options. Well, rather I mean not at all like the ones in Win10, as I'm fully aware privacy isn't exactly practiced in 7 either.