Anyone Else annoyed at Linus Begging for Likes?

doctorraichu

He does do some things that are annoying but they never get in way of the content its self which is not bad, but its all advertising at the end and advertising gives him more money to make better videos about random things.

I have been watching him for around 4 years now, Linus and Tek syndicate are the only channels still in my original sub list.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Very basic.

He makes videos.

We 'like' them.

Sort of how YouTube works...

I don't mind the 'like if you liked this vidoe blah blah blah' bit as I do often forget to like or dislike or whatever, the bit I don't like is the 'Like if you want to see XYZ' part. Mostly because the video is already released on vessel, or it was when he first started doing it meaning he didn't give a rats ass about if you actually wanted to see the content, he was going to release it anyways. 

I agree, i also made a thread about this recently when he first started aggressively asking for 'likes'. I had always seen other YouTubers doing it and it was refreshing that Linus didn't stoop down to it but ultimately if that's what he has to do to stay viable then who am i to question it >.< 

eh not really, though watch some old Linus videos love playing them in the background since they are so nostalgic. 

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

No.. It doesn't bother me at all.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

You would feel differently on this topic if your YouTube content was your method of supporting your family and close coworkers that youve worked with from the bottom up.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well shit at least linus isn't like Tmartan " GIVE THIS VIDEO 10,000 LIKES "  " GUYS COME ON GIVE THIS 1000 LIKES IF YOU LIKE "

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

You would feel differently on this topic if your YouTube content was your method of supporting your family and close coworkers that youve worked with from the bottom up.

Sadly that shouldn't be the only source of income. YouTube SHOULD NEVER BE YOUR ONLY PRIME SOURCE OF INCOME NEVER!. Unless your PewDiePie because that guy gets millions of views daily so that is why he is so bloody rich. Same thing with KSI.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

^This

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

Sadly that shouldn't be the only source of income. YouTube SHOULD NEVER BE YOUR ONLY PRIME SOURCE OF INCOME NEVER!. Unless your PewDiePie because that guy gets millions of views daily so that is why he is so bloody rich. Same thing with KSI.

It all starts with their content, yes I know that they gain income from sponsors, Vessel, etc...

But if they stop producing YouTube content, that all stops, no more sponsors, no more ads, no more content for Vessel.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Not really, it's a reminder to click the button which most people forget to do.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Do not criticize the great Linus or your PC will explode.  <_<

Lol the amount of Linus-loyalists here...

I enjoy LinusTechTips channel; doesn't mean I pretend to not mind the annoying things he does :P

That being said I don't really mind the like begging... what really gets me is the way he says "Learn more..." after an ad i.e. "click here to learn more..."

Please enlighten us on how saying "Like the video if you liked it, dislike it if you dislike it" equates to begging. 

Him reminding people to like and subscribe to see future content should be self explanatory. If people do not like the content, then he has no point in releasing it. If people are not subscribed, it means they do not care for seeing it. The concept should not be so foreign to you if you understand the implications behind it.

At the end of the day, it is still your choice. If you do not like it, do not watch it, or comply.

The last few videos he said things like "Like the video if you want to see Luke benchmark a 10k$ PC. I have to say this does annoy me, it feels like the days when i watched ali-a...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

The last few videos he said things like "Like the video if you want to see Luke benchmark a 10k$ PC. I have to say this does annoy me, it feels like the days when i watched ali-a...

If you don't want to see luke benchmark a $10,000 PC, then do not like? lol. That too does not qualify as begging. It is basically translating to "show us you are interested by liking the video". If you are not interested, do not like it. I do not watch or like the videos they make that do not pertain to my interests, and i am sure their feelings are not hurt over it either. We are not forced to like their videos, even when they remind us to do so.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If you don't want to see luke benchmark a $10,000 PC, then do not like? lol. That too does not qualify as begging. It is basically translating to "show us you are interested by liking the video". If you are not interested, do not like it. I do not watch or like the videos they make that do not pertain to my interests, and i am sure their feelings are not hurt over it either. We are not forced to like their videos, even when they remind us to do so.

It's like them saying "Like this video or we are not going to release the video". If this keeps continuing Linus may convert to one of those Youtubers who beg for likes like this: "At 10k likes i will do a video of Luke buildng a 5$PC"

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

It's like them saying "Like this video or we are not going to release the video". If this keeps continuing Linus may convert to one of those Youtubers who beg for likes like this: "At 10k likes i will do a video of Luke buildng a 5$PC"

Or, it is exactly like i explained it before in this thread. They gauge public interest based on likes. If people do not like something, they will not do it. It is to keep you happy. If you like something, and show extreme interest towards something, that video will happen. So yes, the "like this video or we won't release it" is probably a true statement because of how obvious it is. 

You also used the word "may", which means he is not currently begging for likes. I am glad we both game to that subtle agreement. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Seriously, he's been doing this every video. Is anybody else very annoyed?

I don't particularly enjoy the whole end of the video deal either, but I understand it and I can just close the video instead of listening to it for the thousandth time. You should do the same.

Just about every youtuber ever does this.

'If you liked this video, please hit the thumbs up and subscribe button!'.

Its a non issue.

Though if Linus wants infinite likes from me, all he has to do os release nekkid pics.

Linus is my fetish.

"Like this video if you liked it, dislike it if you thought it SUCKED"

This.

And if you're talking about him doing stuff like "And if you want to see my results video on how Asian Dennis is, smash that like button," that's just him using the like/rating system to his advantage so that his team doesn't waste time doing a video that the majority of people don't want to see.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Very annoying. I began disliking for that reason. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

No