Microsoft wants $1.49 a month to remove the ads it shows inside Solitaire on Windows 10

how is it yet not known? First of all, it is Windows, of course you can uninstall. Also several have already upgraded, and I can personally confirm that all apps can be uninstalled (didn't test Edge though, but I guess that one too)

I just finished installing, decided it was worth DX12. not everything is uninstallable though these games were.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I just finished installing, decided it was worth DX12. not everything is uninstallable though these games were.

What? Nothing is uninstallable. Right click on them on the start menu, if there is no "Uninstall" option, guess what that means?!

You guessed it, it means that it isn't installed, it just a tile put there and the download starts if you click on it!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Adblock. Whether or not you use adblock, though, having ads on something that you payed money for is ridiculous.

But you payed for Windows, not the app. The app is something that they have included, by popular demand. The app has existed for a good while, for free, on the Windows 8 store. Although they rebuild it now for Windows 10, it is still just an existing app they have included because people missed it. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

But you payed for Windows, not the app. The app is something that they have included, by popular demand. The app has existed for a good while, for free, on the Windows 8 store. Although they rebuild it now for Windows 10, it is still just an existing app they have included because people missed it. 

They should not be putting anything On my PC except what I paid for. I approved Windows to be installed but nothing else. There is even a twitter tile in the start menu, if I wanted twitter built in I would get it from the store or direct from Twitter's site. It's not a feature or addition, it is a blatant violation. If they intend to give free software then they must include a download key rather than pre-installing it because doing so makes it bloatware.

What? Nothing is uninstallable. Right click on them on the start menu, if there is no "Uninstall" option, guess what that means?!

You guessed it, it means that it isn't installed, it just a tile put there and the download starts if you click on it!

Or if there is no Uninstall option it is an app that is built into the OS, like Cortana.

Sad day if solitaire becomes one of the most pirated games just to remove ads. For some reason I can see it happening though.

I never thought I'd see the day solitaire goes free-to-play... 

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Ok... how am I supposed to get TP now to check it out?

So no, it applied everywhere.

Ok live in your illusion of free.

And yes Win10 is cheaper. You have free upgrades for 1 years, cutting Microsoft revenue.

Then how about they make one "showroom" distro and one "user" distro?

And what do you mean by "your illusion of free"? Windows 10 straight up isn't free. It's under a limited time a free upgrade for some people which has bought one of the 2 latest version of Windows already. That's not what free means.

Do you have a source for your INCREDIBLE claim that "as we know" 1 in 3 people use Windows Vista or otherwise an older version of Windows? No. Nope. Not even.

-snip-

As you can see, Windows Vista, specifically, takes up 1.62% of the market share.

Windows 7 and newer (All the ones that qualify for the upgrade) take up a whopping 77% of the market share.

What about older versions of Windows? Surely it makes sense that the rest would be 33% because of math? Nope. Wrong.

Windows Vista and Windows XP make up a grand total of 13.6% of the OS market share. That's about 1 in 7, 1 in 8. Not one in fucking three.

Oh, and this is the June 2015 report on Market Share, so that's pretty recent.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

You get very varied data data depending on what method you use to get the sample. But yes you're right, 1/3 does not seem to me the case anymore. XP marketshare has dropped a lot since last time I checked. Sorry. More than 1 in 7 will have to pay for Windows 10 though, especially since most people buy prebuilt computers which has the price of Windows included.

Or if there is no Uninstall option it is an app that is built into the OS, like Cortana.

Well yes, på Cortana is a feature, not an app really. It doesn't behave like an app, it behaves like a feature. There's a difference. 

They should not be putting anything On my PC except what I paid for. I approved Windows to be installed but nothing else. There is even a twitter tile in the start menu, if I wanted twitter built in I would get it from the store or direct from Twitter's site. It's not a feature or addition, it is a blatant violation. If they intend to give free software then they must include a download key rather than pre-installing it because doing so makes it bloatware.

So, they have you saying that, and then they have those who complained about games like solitaire wasn't included in Win 8/8.1. 

In this case, I would say they made the right choice, it is much easier for those who don't want it, to remove it, than for those that want it too look it up and find it in the app store. Also this caters to the mainstream user, those less tech savy and that are not used to the though of just having a store on their PC to look for what they want. 

Then how about they make one "showroom" distro and one "user" distro?

And what do you mean by "your illusion of free"? Windows 10 straight up isn't free. It's under a limited time a free upgrade for some people which has bought one of the 2 latest version of Windows already. That's not what free means.

You get very varied data data depending on what method you use to get the sample. But yes you're right, 1/3 does not seem to me the case anymore. XP marketshare has dropped a lot since last time I checked. Sorry. More than 1 in 7 will have to pay for Windows 10 though, especially since most people buy prebuilt computers which has the price of Windows included.

You're right, more than 1 in 7 will have to pay, since they are buying whole new computers. The free upgrade is only for existing users.

That, I never challenged.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Cortana isn't an App. It's a core feature hard coded into the OS. That's like trying to uninstall Siri from iOS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Cortana isn't an App. It's a core feature hard coded into the OS. That's like trying to uninstall Siri from iOS.

Well yes, på Cortana is a feature, not an app really. It doesn't behave like an app, it behaves like a feature. There's a difference. @aerandir92

Well also Microsoft's Xbox and Store apps. They are not hardcoded but their file ownership is to TrustedInstaller and not the Admin so it's a pain in the ass to change that and delete them. And If Cortana's files were removed it would not break the OS, just like 8.1 is an updated 8, 10 is an updated 8.1 and Cortana is just an addition. I'd use the phrase "hardcoded into the OS" only for something that would break the OS if removed.

Well also Microsoft's Xbox and Store apps. They are not hardcoded but their file ownership is to TrustedInstaller and not the Admin so it's a pain in the ass to change that and delete them. And If Cortana's files were removed it would not break the OS, just like 8.1 is an updated 8, 10 is an updated 8.1 and Cortana is just an addition. I'd use the phrase "hardcoded into the OS" only for something that would break the OS if removed.

Okey, with that logic very little is part of the OS. 

And I see now that the standard apps can't be uninstalled (like music, xbox, mail, calendar, movies, and of course the store). But those are apps that you shouldn't have any need for removing, except if you have very tight harddrive space and need to remove as much as possible to make place for your own files. 

If you want an OS where you have complete control, you must switch to Linux. Windows gives you much control, but somethings they must hold in place, both for it to represent their product (people would expect to see the store and those other apps on every Win 10 machine) and also to protect less tech savvy users from accidents. 

The Store App, which while not technically "required" system files for the PC to turn on and function in the most basic sense, might as well be a Core Function of the OS. I would argue that the XBox App is also part of the core functionality around the Windows 10 design idea.

If you removed those Apps and all the required files, it wouldn't "break" the OS completely - it would still boot to desktop and you could still do many things - but it would certainly break parts of the OS.

I guess I just don't understand this mentality of complete 100% control over the OS - It's Windows, you've NEVER had that much control over the OS. There have always been Features or Applications that were more or less deeply integrated into the OS - even if you never used those functions.

Don't want to run the Store or the XBox app? Just unpin them and forget they exist. I can't imagine they take up much HDD space.

As @aerandir92 mentions, it really seems like what you actually want is Linux that happens to run Win32 apps.

95 is an upgraded 3.1, 98 is an upgraded 95, 2000 is an upgraded 98, XP is an upgraded 2000, Vista is an upgraded XP, 7 is an upgraded Vista, 8 is an upgraded 7, 8.1 is an upgraded 8, 10 is an upgraded 8.1.

Yes, every version of Windows NT is built off of the last. That's well known and makes sense. You'd have to be clinically insane to completely rewrite an OS for every release.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

95 is an upgraded 3.1, 98 is an upgraded 95, 2000 is an upgraded 98, XP is an upgraded 2000, Vista is an upgraded XP, 7 is an upgraded Vista, 8 is an upgraded 7, 8.1 is an upgraded 8, 10 is an upgraded 8.1.

Yes, every version of Windows NT is built off of the last. That's well known and makes sense. You'd have to be clinically insane to completely rewrite an OS for every release.

There is a great difference between being built off and being a slight adjustment/mod.

There is a great difference between being built off and being a slight adjustment/mod.

True, and if you want to play that game, then all Windows (including beloved 7) were just minor "mods" of Windows Vista.

But that's disingenuous to the situation. There were a lot of Backend improvements to the kernel in each Windows revision, esp between Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, and again with Windows 10.

In fact, there were more backend changes and improvements between Windows 7 and 8 then between Vista and 7. Windows 7 is just a glorified Vista Service Pack 3.

True, and if you want to play that game, then all Windows (including beloved 7) were just minor "mods" of Windows Vista.

But that's disingenuous to the situation. There were a lot of Backend improvements to the kernel in each Windows revision, esp between Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, and again with Windows 10.

In fact, there were more backend changes and improvements between Windows 7 and 8 then between Vista and 7. Windows 7 is just a glorified Vista Service Pack 3.

It always amuses me how many people shit on Vista then hail 7 without even an inkling of how close they are.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It always amuses me how many people shit on Vista then hail 7 without even an inkling of how close they are.

Just goes to show that a few fuckups in an otherwise great OS completely ruins the experience for some (or in Vista's case, a lot).

I want to play the game, but this you must sign into your live account to play so you can share your score with friends is pretty annoying. All this social interaction is getting ridiculous.

yah social interaction is for scrubs