Any idea how to get the windows 10 popup?

Toxicable

Ive just installed win 8 on my other computer the other day and had it do something like 150 updates but non of them have put in that reserve windows 10 thingy, any ideas?

Make sure EVERY UPDATE (Including Windows 8.1) is done and then restart it

I reinstalled windows 8 and I had to wait 2 days to get the notification, Dont worry If you dont get it straight away you have got till 2016 July to get it

I got it on Windows 8.1, even though I have updates shut off. Not sure why truthfully 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

1. Open Notepad
  2. Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

1. Click File, and then Save As
  2. In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

3. Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

4. Select the folder you would like to save the file to.  For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Tempfolder.  Then click Save. 

5. Open an elevated command prompt.  (From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.)

6. Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.  In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd

The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running.  Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates.  Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Make sure EVERY UPDATE (Including Windows 8.1) is done and then restart it

Sorry, it is 8.1 - my being lazy

I reinstalled windows 8 and I had to wait 2 days to get the notification, Dont worry If you dont get it straight away you have got till 2016 July to get it

Yeah I know I got a year to do it, it's just that im migrating a few computers along with it all to 10 so would be nice if they're all the same on the day

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

1. Open Notepad
  2. Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

1. Click File, and then Save As
  2. In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

3. Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

4. Select the folder you would like to save the file to.  For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Tempfolder.  Then click Save. 

5. Open an elevated command prompt.  (From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.)

6. Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.  In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd

The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running.  Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates.  Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ill give this a shot and see what it comes back with

The thing is broken has shit I have tried everything in the book mentioned I cannot make it work on 2 diffrent comps...I wouldn't waste your time to be honest.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Sorry, it is 8.1 - my being lazy

Yeah I know I got a year to do it, it's just that im migrating a few computers along with it all to 10 so would be nice if they're all the same on the day

ill give this a shot and see what it comes back with

I've used the above method and it was successful. I'm not just posting a potential answer that I have no idea of its effectiveness.

Whether or not I used it it's a guide from a MS Support Engineer anyway, so I think it's somewhat legitimate.  :P

Well this is annoying, I used that method you posted and it says that I have the updates installed and restarted. Yet still no icon

Did you download the .bat file? I used that and it worked, took a few tries using the different methods but ended up being all good

Did you download the .bat file? I used that and it worked, took a few tries using the different methods but ended up being all good

Yeah I used the file, it said I had all the updates and icon thing as of yet

Yeah I used the file, it said I had all the updates and icon thing as of yet

That's strange