AMD acknowledges 390 series crashes, looking into it

zMeul

All the hate when Nvidia had problems too, clearly states so in the article.

we're not talking about nVidia, are we?! and since when it's OK if the "enemy" has problems too - the consumer gets fckd in both cases

I had my own 280X DOAs, 2 plus one that never made it to me

we're not talking about nVidia, are we?! and since when it's OK if the "enemy" has problems too - the consumer gets fckd in both cases

I had my own 280X DOAs, 2 plus one that never made it to me

It is not OK, but you're only attacking 1 of the companies who has problems.

That's the problem with this forum in general.

And DOA's happen, they just do. Anecdotal evidence doesn't help.

You guys really this biased against AMD?....

It's not bias to call the 300 series rebrands. They are rebrands.

Nvidia aren't "looking into" their driver issues, either. They have released hotfixes that resolve their crashes. It took them long enough, but they did it a month ago.

It is not OK, but you're only attacking 1 of the companies who has problems.

That's the problem with this forum in general.

And DOA's happen, they just do. Anecdotal evidence doesn't help.

so what?! nVidia and AMD should line up their dates when it comes to acknowledging issues with their hardware?

as for anecdotal evidence ..

Just as an FYI, AMD R7/R9 failure rates have actually gotten worse since that chart was made (side note, we really need to start watermarking our charts). Right now, Radeon R7/R9 cards we have sold at Puget Systems are at 12.79% for DOA and 9.3% for in the field failures for a total of 22.09%. The article that chart is from was written about 6 months after the Radeon R7/R9 cards launched so there hadn't been as much time for non-DOA failures to happen

Could this be a problem caused by Windows? It's bizarre a rebrand is causing problems...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

It's not bias to call the 300 series rebrands. They are rebrands.

Nvidia aren't "looking into" their driver issues, either. They have released hotfixes that resolve their crashes. It took them long enough, but they did it a month ago.

More like refresh, rebrand is just calling the exact same card something different.

More like refresh, rebrand is just calling the exact same card something different.

The vendors themselves are in charge of designing the cards (aka adding 8GB of higher quality vRAM and higher quality components), the GPU however is the same f****ing thing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

so what?! nVidia and AMD should line up their dates when it comes to acknowledging issues with their hardware?

I don't see why they don't get criticism and AMD does, it's outright strange :)

And despite those stats,. your OWN 280x's being broken is still anecdotal, you only pulled ot those stats afterwards.

The vendors themselves are in charge of designing the cards (aka adding 8GB of higher quality vRAM and higher quality components), the GPU however is the same f****ing thing.

Okay.,didn't know that.

They didn't just call the same thing something different, they launched the same thing as a whole new generation of product. A refresh would have involved keeping the 200 series branding. They didn't keep the same branding. They rebranded them.

I don't see why they don't get criticism and AMD does, it's outright strange :)

And despite those stats,. your OWN 280x's being broken is , you only pulled ot those stats afterwards.

riight .. my own personal experience backed up with 3rd party data is still anecdotal - denial much ?!

when it hapened 1st, I thought OK it happens

2nd time, I started looking into things and discovered a lot of people reporting issues - issues that AMD never acknowledged or addressed with 2xx series to this date

their idea was to launch a new series and hope it goes away - tough luck

They didn't just call the same thing something different, they launched the same thing as a whole new generation of product. A refresh would have involved keeping the 200 series branding. They didn't keep the same branding. They rebranded them.

So how would you name those cards if not 3xx? Because we already have a lot of stupid names in 2xx so would you like to add R9 295, R9 295x? But wait! There is already R9 295x2 so is that dual GPU R9 295?

It IS refresh... Come on!

Better memory, higher clocked memory, more memory, higher clocked core, better power delivery, better power consumption, cooler.

So how would you name those cards if not 3xx? Because we already have a lot of stupid names in 2xx so would you like to add R9 295, R9 295x? But wait! There is already R9 295x2 so is that dual GPU R9 295?

Better memory, higher clocked memory, more memory, higher clocked core, better power delivery, better power consumption, cooler.

R9 2**R/XR. And they aren't refreshes, if you'd read my post earlier you'd know that the GPU are all the same, with vendors using higher quality components.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Very debatable since right now many peeps on LTT have different ideas on what's a refresh and what's a rebrand.

Is the 390/x a rebrand? Probably, the product has a completely new name and image.

Is the 390/x a refresh? Also a possibility since it now has increased vram, increased core/mem clock, better vram chips and a redesigned  power management micro-architecture.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I've been having this issue on my Nvidia GPU in the past 2 months or more. Reinstalled the drivers, new ones, old ones, windows 7, windows 8.1, 64bit, 32bit... and the problem is still there.

I heard that chrome might be responsible for it.

The board partners have done a really admirable job of refreshing their end of the process. AMD have changed the name of something a year and a half old.

As for naming conventions, there's 26 letters in the alphabet. AMD are using "XT" now to distinguish between full Fiji and not, it has a ring to it. 290 XT. I, however, wouldn't have rebranded the top end card. If I were in charge the Fury X would have been the 390X, the 390 would have been the Fury, then the 290X could be rebranded as the 380X... etc. That would leave a 390X priced a little higher than a 980 but performing just shy of a 980 Ti.

Which, if you recall, mirrors last generation's placement of the 780 Ti, 290X, 290 and 780, both in terms of performance and price. The 380X and the 970 would be roughly equivalent, like the 280X and 770 were, too.

R9 2**R/XR. And they aren't refreshes, if you'd read my post earlier you'd know that the GPU are all the same, with vendors using higher quality components.

It doesn't matter if GPU is the same. There were changes to the product that makes it better overall.

And some of these changes are of the type that OEMs couldn't do just themselves.

I think it's a driver issue. I updated to 15.7 and I started getting crashes with "display driver not responding", while previously it was fine. I have an r7 260x.

This is a signature.

The board partners have done a really admirable job of refreshing their end of the process. AMD have changed the name of something a year and a half old.

As for naming conventions, there's 26 letters in the alphabet. AMD are using "XT" now to distinguish between full Fiji and not, it has a ring to it. 290 XT. I, however, wouldn't have rebranded the top end card. If I were in charge the Fury X would have been the 390X, the 390 would have been the Fury, then the 290X could be rebranded as the 380X... etc. That would leave a 390X priced a little higher than a 980 but performing just shy of a 980 Ti.

Which, if you recall, mirrors last generation's placement of the 780 Ti, 290X, 290 and 780, both in terms of performance and price. The 380X and the 970 would be roughly equivalent, like the 280X and 770 were, too.

Really our of topic here but... Nice Profile Pic/Icon

riight .. my own personal experience backed up with 3rd party data is still anecdotal - denial much ?!

Your own personal experience is anecdotal. You only came up with the data AFTERWARDS, when I said it was anecdotal. How do you not get this.

Also in an earlier post you said 'We're not talking about Nvidia are we?' that there says enough. Both are having problems but you choose to single out AMD for some reason?.... I hope you're not implying that you're going to make another separate thread for Nvidia's side, would be cluttering a bit.

Your own personal experience is anecdotal. You only came up with the data AFTERWARDS, when I said it was anecdotal. How do you not get this.

yes you are wrong because the data is composed of so-called anecdotal cards that were RMAd - maybe it's a joke and 280X actually doesn't have any issues at all

this is a joke too, yes?

asBF5wB.png

as for nVidia, there was a topic opened for that exact purpose, you're very free to post there

You never know.

Anyway, the 390 series is an OC-ed version of last year's cards with more RAM. It could just be that some cards can't OC that much, and AMD never checked them. Or it's just a driver issue. I hope it's the latter, even though the 300 series is bad and AMD kinda deserves whatever's coming at them.

Yeah, waht was AMD thinking with these rebrands? They should have wished for a full new lineup with a new architecture from the Silicon Fairy!

Aww man. Why didn't anyone tell me the "what to call the 300 series" straw grasping olympics had already started?!?!?! I didn't want to miss the opening ceremony.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

So, what was the GTX 770 then? I'm just curious.