AMD acknowledges 390 series crashes, looking into it

zMeul

i must be doing something wrong for not getting all these crashes, tdr and black screens.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It has lower power consumption than a 970? On what planet?

Maybe on this planet:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/413841-nasa-discover-earth-20/

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

15.7 did weird shit to my R9 290 so I'm not surprised at all

Such as?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

15.7 seems to work great on my 290, and my friend's 280x.

But then we haven't had any issues with previous drivers either...

Meh, all drivers have issues. Next WHQL driver should be out next week for the windows 10 launch.

I know every driver will have issues for somebody.

But what makes you think they will have another WHQL driver for windows 10 launch? Catalyst 15.7 just came out and was quite a successful release with new features etc. I expect the next couple of releases to be beta, which is ok.

I know every driver will have issues for somebody.

But what makes you think they will have another WHQL driver for windows 10 launch? Catalyst 15.7 just came out and was quite a successful release with new features etc. I expect the next couple of releases to be beta, which is ok.

the problem with W10 is that MS is forcing WHQL drivers over user-installed ones; there is a work-around, but not many people know about it .. they just assume it's "normal"

You don't own a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming so you really don't know what I'm talking about:

Read the box.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. In binning, the spec is the lowest common denominator for a set of chips which becomes a SKU. You got burnt and ended up on the low side of the bell curve for the set of chips they binned for that SKU. The box doesn't falsely advertise anything. Overclockers cannot expect anything more than what's the in the specs. That's the same lottery we all play, just with a higher starting point of possibility.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You guys really this biased against AMD?....

I'm not. I'm just sad that the 7970 and 7950 are still mid-high end cards. They came out in the end of 2011 iirc. Not biased. Just sad.

I'm not. I'm just sad that the 7970 and 7950 are still mid-high end cards. They came out in the end of 2011 iirc. Not biased. Just sad.

And why is it sad? 28nm is only going to get us so far.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

And I predict 16nmFF will be where TSMC gets stuck for a while. If Intel's having trouble with high power, so will the other foundries. The very fact TSMC is using 20nm BEOL to improve yields (at the expense of less density) is proof things are not going to speedup any time soon. We'll get 14/16nmFF cards, and then we'll be on that node for a while. I doubt TSMC or Samsung will get 10nm working very soon, even if they use 14/16nm BEOL, and Samsung has said GloFo will not get its 10nm node licensed like 14nm was.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I know exactly what I'm talking about. In binning, the spec is the lowest common denominator for a set of chips which becomes a SKU. You got burnt and ended up on the low side of the bell curve for the set of chips they binned for that SKU. The box doesn't falsely advertise anything. Overclockers cannot expect anything more than what's the in the specs. That's the same lottery we all play, just with a higher starting point of possibility.

Case and point, my GTX 970 G1 Gaming meets none of the target goals advertised by Gigabyte.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Case and point, my GTX 970 G1 Gaming meets none of the target goals advertised by Gigabyte.

It hits the guaranteed speed specs. If it doesn't, you have an RMA case, and likely there was a handling or shipping mistake which caused damage to the unit as a whole. Other than that, you are owed nothing.

The state of the industry is what makes me sad. 3 and a half year old cards shouldn't still be competitive. AMD released 2 new high end cards in the last 2 "generations." As a result nvidia has also slowed to a chopped-up snail's pace.

The state of the industry is what makes me sad. 3 and a half year old cards shouldn't still be competitive. AMD released 2 new high end cards in the last 2 "generations." As a result nvidia has also slowed to a chopped-up snail's pace.

Oh come on. It's not like rendering techniques and details have actually gotten so much better in the last 3 years as to necessitate 8x the power we have now. The only thing that necessitated newer cards has been higher memory usage and less optimal code that needs brute-force power to speed up.

It hits the guaranteed speed specs. If it doesn't, you have an RMA case, and likely there was a handling or shipping mistake which caused damage to the unit as a whole. Other than that, you are owed nothing.

62.1 Asic, binned supposedly for 'the best power efficiency and lowest power consumption' (you don't get that with such a low Asic score)-that's not meeting the guarantee especially when you consider that the 970 can not be overclocked at all (aka its the worst graphics card I've ever owned in regards to overclocking-even when compared to my old Diamond Stealth cards). And read my previous post in regards to the RMA.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So much AMD hate in the comments here

Like Nvidia never had Driver problems. HAHA :D

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Oh come on. It's not like rendering techniques and details have actually gotten so much better in the last 3 years as to necessitate 8x the power we have now. The only thing that necessitated newer cards has been higher memory usage and less optimal code that needs brute-force power to speed up.

Top-end GPUs still struggle to run newer games at max 1080p 60fps without dips.

62.1 Asic, binned supposedly for 'the best power efficiency and lowest power consumption' (you don't get that with such a low Asic score)-that's not meeting the guarantee especially when you consider that the 970 can not be overclocked at all (aka its the worst graphics card I've ever owned in regards to overclocking-even when compared to my old Diamond Stealth cards). And read my previous post in regards to the RMA.

But unless you can pull an objective study against the cards in the lower tiers, then you haven't a leg to stand on. All you are guaranteed is the speed in the spec. It very well could be a one-off miss, but it could also be that one card that does the clocks that they can sell at that SKU and doesn't do any better, and that card has to exist. If it didn't, the whole SKU would be clocked higher, even if marginally so.

Top-end GPUs still struggle to run newer games at max 1080p 60fps without dips.

And that has everything to do with poor coding. I disassemble and decompile code all the time. It doesn't help Microsoft's compiler doesn't optimize that well, but it comes down to code that ships broken and buggy in the first place. Nvidia has already stated its drivers fix code that is actually broken when it ships. It has nothing to do with games squeezing out every possible drop of performance. GPUs are far more powerful than game programmers today make them out to be.

And that has everything to do with poor coding. I disassemble and decompile code all the time. It doesn't help Microsoft's compiler doesn't optimize that well, but it comes down to code that ships broken and buggy in the first place. Nvidia has already stated its drivers fix code that is actually broken when it ships. It has nothing to do with games squeezing out every possible drop of performance. GPUs are far more powerful than game programmers today make them out to be.

While ALL OF THAT is true, we are still at the slowest point in GPU development since the 8800 gt rebrands, and it isn't showing any sign of getting better.

And I predict 16nmFF will be where TSMC gets stuck for a while. If Intel's having trouble with high power, so will the other foundries. The very fact TSMC is using 20nm BEOL to improve yields (at the expense of less density) is proof things are not going to speedup any time soon. We'll get 14/16nmFF cards, and then we'll be on that node for a while. I doubt TSMC or Samsung will get 10nm working very soon, even if they use 14/16nm BEOL, and Samsung has said GloFo will not get its 10nm node licensed like 14nm was.

Indeed. Tri-gate designs are a bitch and a half to scale down anyway.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Must be a driver issue.

Happened like a month ago on Nvidia drivers, not everybody got that issues though (and must be the same with AMD, just a few people get this)

Nice to see that AMD acknowledges the issue, not like Nvidia that just releases a freaking hotfix or keep releasing drivers without even mentioning the issue.

Do you guys thing that this is related with both AMD and Nvidia getting their drivers ready for Windows 10? It's so weird to see this happening right before the new OS launch. Just a theory, maybe it's something else.

But unless you can pull an objective study against the cards in the lower tiers, then you haven't a leg to stand on. All you are guaranteed is the speed in the spec. It very well could be a one-off miss, but it could also be that one card that does the clocks that they can sell at that SKU and doesn't do any better, and that card has to exist. If it didn't, the whole SKU would be clocked higher, even if marginally so.

To be fair, something like that should fall into the standard Windforce X3 SKU (which is literally exactly the same, except that it is lower clocked and doesn't have GPU gauntlet or a backplate).

Hey AMD users, don't feel bad. Nvidia has some serious driver issues right now also. It's fucking garbage.