Tech Confession Time!

rustikles

I would like to formally apologize to, Adobe. Microsoft and any game developers that I pirated from. Oh! Also Autodesk. I owe  them probably 15 - 20 THOUSAND dollars and probably 10 - 15 THOUSAND to Adobe. Microsoft, I have ripped off numerous times for Windows 7, and 8. Then for games, there may be to many to waste my  time writing here.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

i bought a whole computer, mouse, keyboard and os included  but forgot to get a monitor,

and i put vodka in my loop thinking i could use it as a biocide

Vodka sounds like it could be used as a cooling luqid 

Vodka sounds like it could be used as a cooling luqid 

Alcohol has such a low boiling point, I doubt you would be left with anything but minerals and water after the first stress test. However, a slight bit may be useful as a biocide as guessed above. 

I would like to formally apologize to, Adobe. Microsoft and any game developers that I pirated from. Oh! Also Autodesk. I owe  them probably 15 - 20 THOUSAND dollars and probably 10 - 15 THOUSAND to Adobe. Microsoft, I have ripped off numerous times for Windows 7, and 8. Then for games, there may be to many to waste my  time writing here.

I probably owe Abobe quite a bit also. Though what I have done is download teh trial versions a couple of times just to use for a single project. Don't know if that counts as piracy or not (and I don't think it is worth paying hundreds of $$ for maybe 90 minutes a years use at most). 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I probably owe Abobe quite a bit also. Though what I have done is download teh trial versions a couple of times just to use for a single project. Don't know if that counts as piracy or not (and I don't think it is worth paying hundreds of $$ for maybe 90 minutes a years use at most). 

That's just taking advantage of the system, I wouldn't call it piracy though. And you're right... It is NOT worth paying for, for the minimal amount of use.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I'm considering buying a new phone as opposed to a better GPU.

I let my sister buy a blackberry, after having a non functioning lumia 610. *hangs head in shame and walks off into the distance as the sun sets in the background*

What happened to the Lumia? I have one at the moment, so far my headphone jack broke entirely once, partially another time, my sim wouldn't work for a week and it's scratched all over the silver band.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I bought a non-K i5 4570 even tho i love overclocking, im sorry mom i should have begged you for some cash QQ

All of my editing programs are pirated. Adobe Cs6 multiple times, Sony Vegas, Fraps, Fl studio 10, MS office.

All of my editing programs are pirated. Adobe Cs6 multiple times, Sony Vegas, Fraps, Fl studio 10, MS office.

Who still uses fraps?

A hell of a lot of people

It's old now.There are many far...far better softwares now.

T'was a 'copy' of Vegas Pro 11.0 that taught me the hard way that 16GB (4*4GB kit) was NOT going to be enough for my system to run it for video editing. Even when I had killed everything bar Windows itself to run the damn thing, it ate through 13.5GB of the 16GB of memory in the system at the time and was going to spend 14+ hours on compressing and exporting a ~30 minute 30fps@720p video (even as .wmv) that bloody Movie Maker did in like 2 hours, and Movie Maker didn't basically lock down my system to non-usability whilst doing its job!

I have a copy of Photoshop 5 (not CS5, but ANCIENT 5) that gets shunted from drive-to-drive when I need something more powerful on my XP box (yes, I keep 2 or 3 of those around) than Paint for graphics work and GIMP is too demanding on the system.

As for FRAPS, I use it (paid the $40 AUD for it as well) and it's been a little beauty for me since I got it.

Oh, and some might consider it a crime for my Beast (sig for specs) to not had a SSD anywhere in the setup. To them I say - not enough space for low enough price to make it worth getting one (even as a carefully managed boot drive) and risk having it die in short order on me due to the power delivery in this little village being a touch(!) spotty.

Oh, and some might consider it a crime for my Beast (sig for specs) to not had a SSD anywhere in the setup. To them I say - not enough space for low enough price to make it worth getting one (even as a carefully managed boot drive) and risk having it die in short order on me due to the power delivery in this little village being a touch(!) spotty.

I quite agree on the SSD front. While  I have 3 of them, the only time I have ever gotten my moneys worth from them is when the laptop gets dropped and the SSD does not die when the HDDs do. However, still an outrageous amount of money per GB (I will not be happy till we get 4TB SSDs in 2.5" form factor for ~175USD (more or less HDD price)). 

That said, get a laptop and it will sort your power issues. Every laptop has a built in UPS unless you remove it for some reason (UPS=Battery in this case). 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I quite agree on the SSD front. While  I have 3 of them, the only time I have ever gotten my moneys worth from them is when the laptop gets dropped and the SSD does not die when the HDDs do. However, still an outrageous amount of money per GB (I will not be happy till we get 4TB SSDs in 2.5" form factor for ~175USD (more or less HDD price)). 

That said, get a laptop and it will sort your power issues. Every laptop has a built in UPS unless you remove it for some reason (UPS=Battery in this case). 

Like I said - check my sig. Beast is my Gaming/AV Editing/Folding rig, SteamRig is (for the most part) my test bench, and my Lappy is for when I need more computing power than a Nexus 7 whilst I'm in town (keeping in mind that said 'town' is more a city and is 100-110km drive)

I could never use a laptop for the sort of work I put Beast through, as a system running 24/7 always with something running even when I'm sleeping.

As for using a UPS, sure... if you can find me one around the <preferably> 850WH (1 hour's charge at upto 850W of drain) mark to run Beast and its monitors that I can set up in this cramped room that's barely the space for my computer desk, chair and bed (pair of mattresses on the floor).

A 1000VA UPS like this one is only good for 600W of juice. Enough to run the SteamRig for a short bit but not enough to satisfy Beast.

Like I said - check my sig. Beast is my Gaming/AV Editing/Folding rig, SteamRig is (for the most part) my test bench, and my Lappy is for when I need more computing power than a Nexus 7 whilst I'm in town (keeping in mind that said 'town' is more a city and is 100-110km drive)

I could never use a laptop for the sort of work I put Beast through, as a system running 24/7 always with something running even when I'm sleeping.

As for using a UPS, sure... if you can find me one around the 850WH (1 hour's charge at upto 850W of drain) mark to run Beast and its monitors that I can set up in this cramped room that's barely the space for my computer desk, chair and bed (pair of mattresses on the floor).

A 1000VA UPS like this one is only good for 600W of juice. Enough to run the SteamRig for a short bit but not enough to satisfy Beast.

While you say that, there are laptops out there that run LGA2011 processors (Check Sager and Eurocom) with up to SLI 880m (underclocked GTX770). If you can't do what is needed on that, you are not doing it on your desktop. (not that it is reasonable to do so with the $10k price tag on such a rig, but I would love to have one...)  I understand you though on the town, it is the same way here. Nearest library is ~25 miles away, other than that all that is nearby is a walmart, farms, houses, and a few burger joints. Nearest city is some 45 miles away, long ways when you don't drive. 

As for finding a UPS, I would be glad to, but first off, do you have a pic of the room? That would help in determining the size (physical) constraints to stay within (you don't have to keep it low, you can put it on a shelf, if you have long enough power leads to the computer). 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

While you say that, there are laptops out there that run LGA2011 processors (Check Sager and Eurocom) with up to SLI 880m (underclocked GTX770). If you can't do what is needed on that, you are not doing it on your desktop. (not that it is reasonable to do so with the $10k price tag on such a rig, but I would love to have one...)  I understand you though on the town, it is the same way here. Nearest library is ~25 miles away, other than that all that is nearby is a walmart, farms, houses, and a few burger joints. Nearest city is some 45 miles away, long ways when you don't drive. 

As for finding a UPS, I would be glad to, but first off, do you have a pic of the room? That would help in determining the size (physical) constraints to stay within (you don't have to keep it low, you can put it on a shelf, if you have long enough power leads to the computer). 

It's not raw CPU power that I need in my system, STORAGE plays a large portion of why I can't do most of my stuff on a laptop, along with GPU power to a lesser extent. There's a reason I put AV Editing as the secondary major use of the rig y'kno; part of why I'm running a quad-set of 4TB Barracudas - I need a shittonne of space to store my raw videos whilst I work on them into more manageable sized ones for YT and such.

As it is, the running cost for my rig (as in prices of parts as I bought them new) is around $2500 AUD, soon to jump by around $200-300 as I drop in a GTX780 to replace the GTX760 as my main card (though will sit around the $3000-3100 mark if I keep both cards, as the running cost only includes parts actually in the system).

As for the UPS, I was being somewhat sarcastic, since the type I'd have my eye on are typically more for keeping the servers in a small/medium business up and running during a brownout/blackout and are effing expensive.

If you must know about the room; it's about 2.5-3m*2.5-3m, no shelves (not that it's exactly safe to install any right now, not without getting a layout of the wiring in the house), the bed and computer gear footprints are around 2m*1m each and take up most of the space that isn't already hogged by an old wardrobe that came with the room (or a lounge chair that can only be moved into the living/lounge room once that place is fully sorted), with power for the tech being provided through a power strip plugged into the power point on the other side of the wall in the backroom (that serves as our computer workroom). As things are, it's a decent stretch of cords between where Beast sits and where power for it comes from (SteamRig is chugging away in what is classed as the living room/lounge room, so it's a bit better off when it comes to power sourcing as it sits nearer the only known 'good' power points in there).

I'm considering buying a new phone as opposed to a better GPU.

What happened to the Lumia? I have one at the moment, so far my headphone jack broke entirely once, partially another time, my sim wouldn't work for a week and it's scratched all over the silver band.

For some reason the it wouldn't connect to the data network, so she couldn't get internet on it like 3G etc, and wifi would never connect. Then, the screen broke. And by broke, I mean grey lines appeared on it, covering almost half the screen, but only occasionally. It wasn't dead pixels, at least not permanent dead pixels. We got the phone returned to be fixed by EE, and when we got it back, the same issues occurred. We fixed the data issue temporarily, but had to return it again. Ensue another month of waiting, and upon it's return, a week later the issues happened again. We got it sent off to be fixed once more, and she bought a blackberry instead. The Lumia is now sitting in a cupboard at home as she is too scared to try it again, and won't let me take it to have a go of it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Joining this forum...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I once read the terms and conditions for some program. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Bought i5 4670K, haven't overclocked it yet i bought a H100i to keep it cool

That isn't crime at all.

I once read the terms and conditions for some program.

Nope...you did exactly good.

I bought a G3258.

What's wrong with it?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I used ASUS auto overclock feature, and was like ^_^ then ^_^ and that was it. I never bothered to manual OC Ram and CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I use a wd green as my primary drive :( for shame. the worst part is I have a 1tb seagate barracuda but i cant figure out how to do a data migration. the software i tried didnt work.

- Sic Trix

For the first month of using my pc.. I was running it without installing the chipset drivers. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"