Tech Confession Time!

rustikles

I like origin and bf4 for me is a good shooter. Please don't look at me let me live in my dirty dirty shame

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I used to recommend asus, never ever will i do that again

Can i ask why you don't recommend them? Personally they are one of my favorite brands.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

I edited motion graphics on a Pentium 4 and 512mb of ddr2 ram.....I was murdering that poor pc

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I will start first. I had a 1200 budget for my PC and................. I DID NOT BUY AN SSD...    Im such a disgrace.

Sorry. Tech People.

As long as you've never had an SSD you'll be OK with a hard drive.

But once you go solid (state)

You never go back.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Running EVGA GTX 770 4gb Classified with a Gigabyte Windforce 4gb in SLI, looks absolutely amazing in my case. 

(Perfomance is great though)

Didn't know enough to not let my parents buy an iMac

#480pGaming

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

As long as you've never had an SSD you'll be OK with a hard drive.

But once you go solid (state)

You never go back.

That is what everyone says, And honestly I would go back. SSD is the LAST part to put in a build, as the $/GB is still really high compared to HDDs, and the speed is not there for the average user (and if you get a Small SSD + Large HDD and load all the non OS programs to the HDD, you essentially wasted your money.)

---Just to be very clear, I am not saying don't get one, just it should be the last consideration in the budget. If it is a SSD vs the next GPU up, get the GPU. SSD vs a better CPU, CPU every time. SSD vs RAM is a trade off, but I would go for RAM every time (said running out of RAM on a daily basis. 8GB is my next upgrade). You see the point though, if you have everything you need and $100-200 extra, then get an SSD. But not sacrificing a part to get it.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Allowing customers to choose generic PSUs and physically installing it for them

I bought beats by dre...

Oh no ..... I'm so glad i stopped my brother from buying beats. I regret buying my parts one by one over a long period of time.

I rendered 5 minutes of 1080p video on my Celeron laptop (only rig)...thank god that the cooler is good, temps hit only 155F.

I rendered 5 minutes of 1080p video on my Celeron laptop (only rig)...thank god that the cooler is good, temps hit only 155F.

How long did it take you to render 5 min 1080p video?

I feel bad for you already, though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I pirate Windows, Photoshop and PowerISO, oh and Office 2010 too.

I stabbed my membrane keyboard.

When i first did my build, I bought premium parts totaling $1600 and put them into a $50 case.

I also play Call of Duty games and i know it hurts the community but none of you care how i feel about that My Little Pony crap i keep seeing on here.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

That is what everyone says, And honestly I would go back. SSD is the LAST part to put in a build, as the $/GB is still really high compared to HDDs, and the speed is not there for the average user (and if you get a Small SSD + Large HDD and load all the non OS programs to the HDD, you essentially wasted your money.)

---Just to be very clear, I am not saying don't get one, just it should be the last consideration in the budget. If it is a SSD vs the next GPU up, get the GPU. SSD vs a better CPU, CPU every time. SSD vs RAM is a trade off, but I would go for RAM every time (said running out of RAM on a daily basis. 8GB is my next upgrade). You see the point though, if you have everything you need and $100-200 extra, then get an SSD. But not sacrificing a part to get it.

That depends on the size of the SSD, (I'm considering 120gig small) because if you only put your most used programs in it then you aren't really wasting money because I do notice the difference between when I had no ssd and now, but I do agree that it not really essential on a build. But one does get used to the added speed

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

How long did it take you to render 5 min 1080p video?

I feel bad for you already, though.

1h 10min

Bought an i5 4670 non-K because I didn't want to learn to get an aftermarket cooler, install it aswell, and didn't think it would've been worth it. I was wrong.

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844

I bought a CX600M. Shit so overpriced i paid with money and a little of my dignity

That depends on the size of the SSD, (I'm considering 120gig small) because if you only put your most used programs in it then you aren't really wasting money because I do notice the difference between when I had no ssd and now, but I do agree that it not really essential on a build. But one does get used to the added speed

One gets used to the added speed? No, one does not. I have never seen the speed increase from my Samsung 830, even when running Ubuntu with everything (the complete OS and all programs) on the SSD. It does not make a great enough difference to the Average user. A HDD is still the best option outside of supercomputers, data centers, and laptops (and I only add laptops because they (SSDs) can withstand being dropped much better than even the best HDD can.).  

I consider them (SSDs) to be an accessory. Do you need one? no.  Just like a mechanical keyboard, a dedicated GPU, or a 2nd monitor. All can be done without in most cases.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I like origin and bf4 for me is a good shooter. Please don't look at me let me live in my dirty dirty shame

My profile picture takes the words out of my mouth.

Space is pretty awesome.

Do actual being assisted by tech work?

joking I'm a good boy

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

I will start first. I had a 1200 budget for my PC and................. I DID NOT BUY AN SSD...    Im such a disgrace.

Sorry. Tech People.

i had a $1500 same here no ssd :( regreting it

One gets used to the added speed? No, one does not. I have never seen the speed increase from my Samsung 830, even when running Ubuntu with everything (the complete OS and all programs) on the SSD. It does not make a great enough difference to the Average user. A HDD is still the best option outside of supercomputers, data centers, and laptops (and I only add laptops because they (SSDs) can withstand being dropped much better than even the best HDD can.).  

I consider them (SSDs) to be an accessory. Do you need one? no.  Just like a mechanical keyboard, a dedicated GPU, or a 2nd monitor. All can be done without in most cases.

You don't notice it, I do, it used to take me like 15-20 seconds to reboot my pc now it's like barely 5-10, I also notice it when launching apps that are on my ssd is like alt tabbing to them, might be that I notice it and you don't because my hdd was slower than the regular hdds (doubt it) or because you have a slower than normal ssd, or whatever else, I agree that it's not an essential part of a build, but, at least I got used to the speed

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I think I said this before but I successfully R.M.A.'d a Gigabyte motherboard as D.O.A. and later came to realize I forgot the 4pin cpu power connector.

Also I retained some not so sensitive but still NDA covered documents from a major company I used to work for after I left their employment. Several of my friends realized that they login credentials were never deactivated so they could (and I think can to this day) download employee copies of the software this company makes for free (Sadly I never actually activated those credentials myself even though I was totally able to)

I had one network issue I was never able to actually resolve: my old aetheros chip based wireless NIC never worked with my newer routers. I solved the problem by getting a new USB based adapter but it was just a lucky guess I never actually did proper research on the chip and why it didn't like certain routers even if the protocols and channels were compatible.

Also I don't consider this a crime but many here likely would: After close to 20 years of using desktop computers, I've never owned an intel processor at all. 

-------

Current Rig

-------