Galaxy s4 can overclock ?!

Jeffrey Chiu_081

According to Cnet it can http://asia.cnet.com/samsungs-s4-caught-optimizing-in-benchmarks-62221950.htm?Src=fb

Exynos 5 Octa version:GPU frequency from 480MHz to 533MHz 10%-13% in performance improvement

This also apply to Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 version.

More detail benchmark on http://www.anandtech.com/show/7187/looking-at-cpugpu-benchmark-optimizations-galaxy-s-4

You have always been able to overclock android phones when rooted via custom kernels and apps in the play store.

for example

According to Cnet it can http://asia.cnet.com/samsungs-s4-caught-optimizing-in-benchmarks-62221950.htm?Src=fb

Exynos 5 Octa version:GPU frequency from 480MHz to 533MHz 10%-13% in performance improvement

This also apply to Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 version.

More detail benchmark on http://www.anandtech.com/show/7187/looking-at-cpugpu-benchmark-optimizations-galaxy-s-4

You can overclock most phones,it's just highly discouraged because they're typically fast enough as it is and can't handle the extra heat,not to mention the effect the extra load would have on the battery's life span.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You can actually overclock many android phones if you root them and install a custom kernel, I wouldn't really recommend it though since the performance increase is pretty much unnoticeable and it will kill your battery life.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Overclocking for phones: sweaty hands, even less battery life, imperceptible performance in most cases. 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

You can overclock most phones,it's just highly discouraged because they're typically fast enough as it is and can't handle the extra heat,not to mention the effect the extra load would have on the battery's life span.

I agree.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

it's actually much more useful to underclock phones, you don't lose a huge amount of performance but can save battery! :D

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

You can, but more importantly, why would you?

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

You can, but more importantly, why would you?

well why would you overclock your computer to get more performance but reduce the lifespan ;3 

well why would you overclock your computer to get more performance but reduce the lifespan ;3 

You can overclock most cpu's even at stock voltage ;)

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I'd like to OC my iPhone 5 to 2GHz but that's impossible and the device doesn't need that performance anyway...

because I do rendering and video editing on my computer,I don't on the other hand do anything nearly as intensive on my phone.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

because I do rendering and video editing on my computer,I don't on the other hand do anything nearly as intensive on my phone.

some people do though I used to know somebody who rendered videos on their phone because they did not have a PC at the time.

This probably should be in the news section...

Almost all android phones can be overclocked/undervolted for performance or battery life.

But becareful not all phone are typically fast enough like the Galaxy Q and other crappy android phones out there, and yes it does drain the battery life.

If cooling is good enough and power is no worry than it really isn't a problem. The way CPUs are made everyone can go as fast as the advertized clock, but many can run much higher while still stable.  As for life span of the computer, how long do you expect it to last?  I mean upgrade cycles need to keep med-high end can be as short as 3-5 years, even overclocked a computer will not degrade that quickly.

Overclocking can cause the phone to heat up so theres no point in overclocking phones imo. Would rather underclock than overclock to get better battery life.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I personally have overclocked my tablet, and it was the worst thing ever. The performance was fantastic, I could do anything on it, but it killed the battery. I went from a 5 hour average usage to 2 hours with a minor overclock. I would only recommend underclocking a phone or tablet.

Back from the dead....

I can overclock my HTC Sensation from 1,188 Ghz to 1,814 Ghz and that thing is like 2 years old... But it is not worth doing it, as the phone gets hot and battery life decreases drastically

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning