PSU bringing my system down?

davidgr95

Hey,

I have been thinking that I am not getting the maximum performance out of my rig because my PSU is only at 430W.  Its a Corsair and rated at 80+ Bronze, but I have an AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H50 AIO water cooler, a Zotac GTX 650 Ti and 6 case fans with a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller.  Should I upgrade to a 600-700W PSU so that I can get more use out of my specs, or would it matter?

Well if everything's running fine at its rated clocks then it's fine...technically. CX power supplies are known to not be the best quality.

Well, if you were to upgrade from a 650Ti then yes, you'll need a bigger and better PSU.

Sig under construction.

I purchased it with a bit of a budget, so the CX430 was very attractive to my wallet!  But thanks for that, I will probably be buying a new GPU soon so I may as well throw a PSU in there too.

honestly, i'd suggest a 1000W if you ever end up putting a ATI card in with that CPU.

AMD CPUs and GPU slurp dat wattacola

while what you have currently is working, any future upgrades would benefit from more power. though even a 750W would be fine in most cases.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

honestly, i'd suggest a 1000W if you ever end up putting a ATI card in with that CPU.

AMD CPUs and GPU slurp dat wattacola

while what you have currently is working, any future upgrades would benefit from more power. though even a 750W would be fine in most cases.

That's a stupid high recommendation.

TDP of an 8350: 125W.

Fury X: 275W.

275+125 = 400. Fans and drives don't draw stupidly high amounts of power. He could easily get by with 600+.

That's a stupid high recommendation.

TDP of an 8350: 125W.

Fury X: 275W.

275+125 = 400. Fans and drives don't draw stupidly high amounts of power. He could easily get by with 600+.

TDP isn't draw rate, it's heat output rating.

it is quite high, but he wouldn't have to replace it for another 7-10 years.

my 750W has lasted 7 years now.

PSUs and cases are some of the most future proof things you can buy, why not overkill it?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Its fine.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

TDP isn't draw rate, it's heat output rating.

it is quite high, but he wouldn't have to replace it for another 7-10 years.

my 750W has lasted 7 years now.

PSUs and cases are some of the most future proof things you can buy, why not overkill it?

Because it's a colossal  waste of money and power...? 750W for a single GPU system is way overkill. No point in getting something that high wattage. 

Hey,

I have been thinking that I am not getting the maximum performance out of my rig because my PSU is only at 430W.  Its a Corsair and rated at 80+ Bronze, but I have an AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H50 AIO water cooler, a Zotac GTX 650 Ti and 6 case fans with a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller.  Should I upgrade to a 600-700W PSU so that I can get more use out of my specs, or would it matter?

I would definitely upgrade your PSU, yes. An FX-series CPU is producing too much heat already to be safe with a PSU that has an ambient temp tolerance of 30C. I might do a system overhaul in a bit if I were you. Here's what I would do.

Sell your GPU and CPU and mobo. CPU cooler can be optional.

Buy a locked i5 (4460/4590, etc) and cheap B85/H81/etc mobo and run off the stock cooler or, if you saved your H50, use it. Your PSU will power this no problem as you'll have no GPU producing tons of heat and i5s don't get crazy hot.

Save up and buy a nicer PSU and GPU. A 390/970 and an EVGA 550W GS will power your system wonderfully. You can also run a nicer PSU for awhile, sell your CX500, then buy a GPU with whatever money you have.

My two cents.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||