Warner Brothers have messed up, AGAIN!

Bloodyvalley

Original games are 1/6 the size they used to be? That graphic isn't even close to true.

Maybe you can find one extreme example where it is, but for 99% no.

Edit: most games where something is retailer exclusive, yeah that is stupid but its usually some irrelevant/useless skin anyway.

Look at Battlefield 4. Find me ANY game pre-2004 that had as much content as BF4 including all 5 expansions does in the original base game.

Final Fantasy VII.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

.......You must not have played many games. I will leave it to others who don't need to sleep to educate you, But just to get started (as far as length of time goes):

Any Legend of Zelda game before the Wii

Super Mario 64

Any Final Fantasy game pre-dating, or coming out, after BF4 (I state this even though I hate Final Fantasy because it's over-rated. Yeah I said it.)

Elder Scrolls

Any Pokemon Game other than Pokemon Snap (possibly snap as well)

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Starcraft

X-com

Civilizations 2

Half Life

Command and Conquer

Diablo 1 and 2

EVE

WoW (admittedly, it came out in 2004)

Knights of the Old Republic

Knights of the Old Republic 2 (which came out on 2004, although it was crap for story reasons)

Need I go on?

Not to mention quality. Battlefield 4 is shit, the expansions are shit. Hardline is shit, and Battlefield 3 was shit. The last good battlefield game was Battlefield Bad Company 2, because it wasn't designed to try and "steal" Call Of Duty fans, people that no true battlefield fan would actually want to play with, but instead, it was made to be FUN. That little thing that most modern AAA titles have completely and totally forgetton. They all run on hype. Not actually being fun. There are honestly, very few titles I have played since

First person shooters are the ABSOLUTE WORST example of modern gaming.

Edit: Lost odyssey removed because it came out after 2004. Although it DID predate Battlefield 4

I disagree on Diablo I&II. I'd love remastered versions of those games with more story filled in.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If someone is making less than $7 an hour they need to stop playing games and start working towards better employment.

$7-9 an hour is actually in the top 20% in my country

Nowhere did I mention length of game time. So you can throw all those examples out the window.

Wow that's some professional-grade backpedaling you're doing there.

What do you mean by "content" if you don't mean game length? The size of the game in MB? "This game is worth 500 dollars because it's 500GB!"

If someone is making less than $7 an hour they need to stop playing games and start working towards better employment.

Or maybe you need to stop being a pretentious little shit. not everyone lives somewhere where the minimum wage is high. Here its 580€ a month (iirc they change it up every so often, but its around there). and most people live on minimum wage, because sadly, we arent a great country. Do we then not deserve the same kind of entertainment as you? Just because we cant afford the option they give us?

Then i imagine you also think gays shouldnt marry because they cant really do it in a church? or black people shouldnt drive? Yeah i hope not.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Honestly, I'd expect more from a AAA game.

Is it really even considered AAA at this point ;)-_-

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Is it really even considered AAA at this point ;)-_-

What makes a game AAA though? Price? Lenght? Gameplay? Story? Graphics?

Id personally say its the image it carries. If the name means something to you, even if youve never really played it. And what games have that? CoD, BF, AC, NFS, Sims and some others. I'd say Batman series are a part of that. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Id personally say its the image it carries. If the name means something to you, even if youve never really played it. And what games have that? CoD, BF, AC, NFS, Sims and some others. I'd say Batman series are a part of that. 

Dis is tru 2

But I dont think theres been a AAA game released this year where there hasnt be controversy upon its release or on rumors leading to it.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Dis is tru 2

But I dont think theres been a AAA game released this year where there hasnt be controversy upon its release or on rumors leading to it.

Does that make them not AAA? 

for every AAA game that comes out shitty (pretty much every big game of 2014 and 15 so far) there are HUNDREDS or thousands of small indie games that should not even be allowed to exist. and yet they do. but people dont buy them. But because these are AAA, people will buy them. because the name itself means something to them

Does that make them not AAA? 

for every AAA game that comes out shitty (pretty much every big game of 2014 and 15 so far) there are HUNDREDS or thousands of small indie games that should not even be allowed to exist. and yet they do. but people dont buy them. But because these are AAA, people will buy them. because the name itself means something to them

Dis is tru 2

I never said it doesnt make them AAA games either.

That's about 1 cent every 4 seconds.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Ok, we all know Arkham Knight has infinite number of problems, so to say, but do we need a thread for every mistake WB made? We all know what kind of game it is by now. I'm sure there are many games out there that have even worse stuff, so why are we blowing this game every time we discover something new? 

The source is broken and you should remove the last 3 letters, here, and the point of the Witcher 3 pic is...? Also providing a proper title would not hurt, people like to know what they're "getting into".

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

$1 = 1 hour

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Its budget, plain and simple. Games with multi million dollar budgets are AAA titles.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The "AAA" classification for games means a very big budget and lots of promotion, whilest also high quality, at least that's what people hope.

In the video game industryAAA (pronounced "triple A") is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion.[1][2][3][4] A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game and to be among the year's bestsellers.[5][not in citation given] For a title to remain AAA post-launch, it must be both commercially and critically successful.

As far as the history behind it :

With the early modernism of the video game industry occurring during the '80s and after the North American video game crash of 1983, gaming companies needed to find a standard term in order to help the audience distinguish good titles from the poorly developed ones. Nintendo was one of the first companies attempting to create their own system through the use of a Nintendo Seal of Quality on their products, denoting that the games had been properly tested and approved.[6] Alfred Milgrom of Beam Softwarerevealed how this changed the development attitude towards games: "In terms of game testing they revolutionized the concept. They said zero defects – we will not allow you to release a game that has any bugs in it whatsoever. Now zero defects was an unheard of concept in any other software or on any other gaming platform. We had to change our programming attitude and the way we developed games, which was brilliant. It was really hard work.”.[7] Nevertheless, the rest of the industry lacked an independent term that could translate the overall quality of a title. Most of the times, companies used magazines endorsement, or score reviews printed on the game box to assure the audience about the quality of their titles.

In the 90s, during gaming conventions in the US (CESCGDCE3 and private ones), some development companies started using the expression AAA[2] among themselves, based on the Academic grading in the United States (A being the highest and F, denoting failure, the lowest).

AAA is not an acronym, but a way to classify games, in some cases, referring to it as an equivalent to a movie blockbuster.[8]

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This is precisely why for many many years I have been actively against micro transactions. (MTs= micro Transactions)

Ok so DLC is ..well DLC. But its still linked to MTs.

MTs have become so profitable for game developers/publishers that they have decided to move more and more of the core of games, that are not Online, into DLC...paid DLC.. knowing that people will buy it, just like MTs.

Those like myself warned people about MTs many years ago when they first started to work their way into mainstream online games like some kind of virus. And this is one of the results.

Still, you want to vote against paid DLC and MT's ? ..do it with ur wallet .."but I wanna try this game" .. that's what Skidrow Games is for, download the game, try it out, if u like it , if its long enough, then buy it. if it turns out that a DLC pack is only 40 minutes long and u finished it during ur 'try out phase' then so be it, u havnt wasted ur money.

I consider places like Skidrow games as the modern day rental store (which have gone the way of the dodo unfortunately), it gives u the chance to try a game out before buying. Yes people will ofc just straight up download it so they don't have to pay, but I personally think u should support the games u enjoy.

Personally I don't care for games like Batman, I never liked playing games based of movies or in this case a pre existing comic/universe that's been told over and over again. Still, paid DLC like this is just wrong. Don't buy it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Well considering that I got both the dlc season pass and the game for just £30 I can't complain, I haven't played batman in a while as I'm playing witcher 3 that's a game that actually runs okay, well at least it has a reason for performing poorly because it's such a good looking game. (doesn't perform poorly just demanding is what I'm trying to say)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

$7-9 an hour is actually in the top 20% in my country

I'm not talking about your country. I was referring to Canada/USA.

Wow that's some professional-grade backpedaling you're doing there.

What do you mean by "content" if you don't mean game length? The size of the game in MB? "This game is worth 500 dollars because it's 500GB!"

By content I mean the amount of content in a game. Trying to say length of game time is irrelevant since how long the game is depends how quickly you are capable of getting through it and not every game is linear where you just play through once.

For FPS, let's look at number of maps, number of weapons, vehicles, etc. that come with it. So in my example, find an FPS pre-2004 that includes as much content in the base game as BF4 including all 5 expansions does.

Or maybe you need to stop being a pretentious little shit. not everyone lives somewhere where the minimum wage is high. Here its 580€ a month (iirc they change it up every so often, but its around there). and most people live on minimum wage, because sadly, we arent a great country. Do we then not deserve the same kind of entertainment as you? Just because we cant afford the option they give us?

Then i imagine you also think gays shouldnt marry because they cant really do it in a church? or black people shouldnt drive? Yeah i hope not.

Did I say everyone lives somewhere where the minimum wage is high? Stop taking everything so personally.

In my country marriage equality has been legal for over a decade and I'm happy about that. I also have family and friends who are gay so you even attempting to put those words in my mouth makes you a piece of shit. No problem with any race of person either. We're all humans. The fact that you were able to bring sexuality and race into a discussion about wage and video games makes you an even bigger piece of shit.

And yeah I've been poor and worked minimum wage. I worked part time at a Wendy's restaurant and had to put all of my money into my rent. I didn't even have enough money to buy food. I was getting free bagels 1 day from being expired because I knew someone who worked for a bread delivery company and one month I ate raw bagels for the entire month. Then I was like "This fucking sucks, I need to get my shit together." So I did. Now my wage and hours are a little over double what they were so I make close to 4x what I did at Wendy's.

But it doesn't matter people will always have an excuse for why their own lives are shit and will never take responsibility. It's always "the man's" fault or the "big bad corporation".

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

For FPS, let's look at number of maps, number of weapons, vehicles, etc. that come with it. So in my example, find an FPS pre-2004 that includes as much content in the base game as BF4 including all 5 expansions does.

Unreal Tournament, Half Life, Halo and Deus Ex are the first 4 that comes to my mind but I am sure there are lots of other examples out there.

$7/hour is pretty good in some countries, so...it depends where they live (and if the DLC cost is constant) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's been posted before, and I'll post it again.

games-now-and-then-burgers-original-game

Stop preordering games. Stop buying games the first year they come out (unless the legitimate [meaning they weren't paid to hype the game] reviews show them as being worthy) and stop buying DLC that isn't worth even a fraction of it's original cost. Wait for steam sales (although that's a bit hard considering the game isn't available on PC. Which makes me ask why this thread is even news, because this only applies to consoles at the moment).

Just STOP feeding the AAA monster.

You do realize that the entire industry would collapse if nobody bought games in the first year, right?

You do realize that the entire industry would collapse if nobody bought games in the first year, right?

Or maybe they would be forced to make games that were actually worth buying.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Or maybe they would be forced to make games that were actually worth buying.

I agree with not preordering, but saying that everyone should wait a year for every game is just a stupid thing to say.

I agree with not preordering, but saying that everyone should wait a year for every game is just a stupid thing to say.

Every game that isn't worth buying. games like batman arkham night. People need to wait for honest reviews to come out, watch those reviews, and if the game is crap, don't buy it.

People need to stop treating games like political parties, and just buying whatever gets rammed down their throats.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs