Why are CX PSUs so bad?

Bob Jim

Everyone always seems to avoid the Corsair CX series like the plague. I have asked several times but never gotten an answer. Why are they so bad?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

cx750 is an exception possibly I think

They are not trash, they are just cheap for a reason, and unless you are getting a reallt good deal on the low wattage ones, I wouldn't bother buying on, there are better options

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They are decent for entry level rigs, but many people choose them for high-end machines and these PSUs aren't made for that, they are prone to exploding (not literally, but you get my point)

Better deals for the price I guess?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Everyone always seems to avoid the Corsair CX series like the plague. I have asked several times but never gotten an answer. Why are they so bad?

Honestly they are fine, but for the money there are better PSUs around

Is it the end of the world if you get one? not at all, ive built with them tons of times,

Some people get REALLY picky when it comes to PSUs, sure its important not to get a $5 one out of a dell from 1987, but most big brand budget PSUs are pefectly fine and should last a good long time if not being abused

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i have had no problem with them at all. getting overclocks around 1450-1550 with gtx 770s, 970 ,980 and also built pcs with r9 290, 290x , 6970

wow... pretty empty here...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They aren't. I am using a CX500M series in my PC right now, stable as fudge. have used a CX430M too, and @tmcclelland455 will definitely tell you that they're stable.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

They aren't. I am using a CX500M series in my PC right now, stable as fudge. have used a CX430M too, and @tmcclelland455 will definitely tell you that they're stable.

Well they really aren't.... An ambient temp tolerance of 30C is poor. That's when Corsair would say "Nope, we don't trust the PSU not to shut off on it's own above that." 30C is quite poor because if you, say, live in Los Angeles or Phoenix where it's hot, your PSU is pretty much always above that, even at idle. The PSU is literally always on the edge of shutting off.

You can get better for the money and you should.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

cx750 is an exception possibly I think

They are not trash, they are just cheap for a reason, and unless you are getting a reallt good deal on the low wattage ones, I wouldn't bother buying on, there are better options

The 750 is kind of an exception. It's more on-par with the CS series which is slightly better but they are still not that great and you can get much better for the money,

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

They are decent for entry level rigs, but many people choose them for high-end machines and these PSUs aren't made for that, they are prone to exploding (not literally, but you get my point)

no that was the CS series who did that. CX fixed a lot of issues with the previous CS series, such as really bad random voltage drops.

I find they work well when used appropriately. My CX600 didn't fail until I passed 60% load on it, it was stable up til then. After I put strain on the 12V rail though it floundered and took my 970 with it.

I have the replacement running in a system that draws maybe 320W at full tilt now and it is stable but I don't trust it for anything heavier.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

It doesn't state much as to why CX is bad tbh

The 750 is kind of an exception. It's more on-par with the CS series which is slightly better but they are still not that great and you can get much better for the money,

CX750 is a GS, not CS

"Rawr XD"

It doesn't state much as to why CX is bad tbh

CX750 is a GS, not CS

"On-par with" - not the same design, though I didn't actually know that

One of the best videos I have ever watched tbh

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I think it's just the wrong tool for a lot of high-end computers. They're relatively cheap power supplies that should suffice for most low-end/budget builds; but people should honestly expect to shell out a bit more money to power their high-end equipment, instead of just cheaping out on the power supply component of their build.

-snip-

I think the biggest takeaway is to review the product, not the brand.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N