PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation
26 minutes ago, Altinn said:

Hi I need a Psu recommendationbecause my no name old PSU is dying. 

I need a budget PSU, I am aiming for a 500W 80+ bronze that can support a single card from 150-250$ range.

I am planing to upgrade at the end of the year to either Pascal or Polaris offering in those price ranges  

I am running an A10 6800k with radeon HD 7750 atm. 

SeaSonic S12II 520W or M12II EVO 520W
Antec High Current Gamer 520M
XFX TS 550W
EVGA GQ 550W
Corsair RMx 550W

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

18 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Your setup won't draw more than 250W and as such a 350W PSU would do the job.

If you're in the US, I can give you two recommendations.

The 350W Seasonic 80+ Bronze which will run your system (although it doesn't allow for upgrades) for $30. http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-SSP350E

The 450W Corsair New CXM which will run a good midrange single GPU system for $50 (after rebate card). http://www.microcenter.com/product/460286/CX450M_450_Watt_80_Bronze_Semi-Modular_ATX_Power_Supply

Update: The XFX TS 550W costs $53 after mail-in rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

550W is only 5-10$ more but provides more headroom. 350W won't work with a *60 Nvidia or *80 AMD class GPU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

52 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

550W is only 5-10$ more but provides more headroom. 350W won't work with a *60 Nvidia or *80 AMD class GPU

I'd call it the best value out of the ones there since it's $53 after MIR.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Vladimir Putin said:

Thank you for the very helpful thread, you helped me choose a PSU and I really appreciate it!

Please fund our efforts with Russia's taxpayer money :DDDDDDDD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Please fund our efforts with Russia's taxpayer money :DDDDDDDD

Sorry it is already being used for classified projects ;)

HEY

33 minutes ago, Vladimir Putin said:

Sorry it is already being used for classified projects ;)

Watch this :P

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

SeaSonic S12II 520W or M12II EVO 520W
Antec High Current Gamer 520M
XFX TS 550W
EVGA GQ 550W
Corsair RMx 550W

Son there ain't no 550W EVGA GQ

929aab64779f247fd4f09a6838759671.jpg

I'd assume you mean the 550GS or 650GQ probably :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Son there ain't no 550W EVGA GQ

929aab64779f247fd4f09a6838759671.jpg

I'd assume you mean the 550GS or 650GQ probably :P

No 550GQ? Huhh? :o

Anyhow, yes. Till the G2 get fixed, I stopped recommending them just in case.

Thanks guys I can get xfx ts 550w for around 80$, I am not in the US.

That seems the best value as far as I can see if it is as good as you guys say.

39 minutes ago, Altinn said:

It should last you far more than its 5 year warranty. As long as you don't stick a screwdriver into it :P

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It should last you far more than its 5 year warranty. As long as you don't stick a screwdriver into it :P

Screwdriver the drink or the tool?xD

Just now, Altinn said:

Screwdriver the drink or the tool?xD

Oh god. I'm not going to sleep well tonight.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Altinn said:

That's solid. It's essentially a SeaSonic S12II platform and that is a great entry-level PSU. Just don't go crazy with SLI Titans

7 hours ago, Altinn said:

Good PSU. Go for it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

No 550GQ? Huhh? :o

Anyhow, yes. Till the G2 get fixed, I stopped recommending them just in case.

The G2 are only based off the Super Flower and aren't direct carbon copies. I don't think they suffer from the same problem as the internals aren't directly copies as the G2 has better capacitors, not to mention the G2 is still a great PSU. Don't forget the GS is good as well.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The G2 are only based off the Super Flower and aren't direct carbon copies. I don't think they suffer from the same problem as the internals aren't directly copies as the G2 has better capacitors, not to mention the G2 is still a great PSU. Don't forget the GS is good as well.

The G2 were the tested ones which showed low voltage readings, though. Still, I play it safe.

Actually the Leadex are the ones that were tested for low voltage readings, there is no G2 review where there is proof of anything yet. The G2 are not at all direct copies, as you can see in the Tomshardware review of the Superflower Leadex Gold 550 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-gold-550w-power-supply,4416-4.html

AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time is 25.2ms (it cuts the signal at an unsafe voltage)

The 550 G2, on the other hand: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-550-g2-power-supply,4244-4.html

AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time is 12.4ms. It's assumed the PWR_OK signal is dropped at a safe voltage. Also, I'd like to point out that in the ATX specification, there is a +-10% from the nominal voltage tolerance for a brief time anyway. So in the ATX spec, in a situation where there is a large power spike, for instance, the ATX spec reads that the 12V rail can go as low as 10.8V for some brief time. The following is directly from the ATX specification:

uddPsxO.png

This would almost be like a transient response scenario - any scenario, really, where for a brief moment of time there is a sudden load change, then voltage tolerance is increased to +-10%. For continuous, non-changing loads, tolerance for positive voltages is +-5%. However, if the power supply is subject to less load, the AC_LOSS to DC_LOSS (VOLT_OUT_SPEC) time is increased, so the PSU may, for instance, be under 11.4V for some time like 100ms instead. Whether or not 100ms would comply with the ATX spec's +-10% is beyond me. But I don't think it's anything major to worry about anyway.

Key differences between Corsair HXi vs AXi?

Just now, Kimmers said:

Key differences between Corsair HXi vs AXi?

AXi is a lot better but both are stellar units. RMi is better value for money.

In general Corsair aren't the best value compared to EVGA's Gold PSUs and even the lower wattage P2s. I guess the monitoring software is nice to have in the i series.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

A lot better? I read somewhere that the AXi series has digital ripple modulation (probably misnamed it) but does that and other factors really make it that much better than the HXi? 

I've also heard good things about the RMi too. Will probably end up going for that but I was curious about axi and hxi just for knowledge sake.

6 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

A lot better? I read somewhere that the AXi series has digital ripple modulation (probably misnamed it) but does that and other factors really make it that much better than the HXi? 

I've also heard good things about the RMi too. Will probably end up going for that but I was curious about axi and hxi just for knowledge sake.

The AXi is probably one of the best consumer PSUs in terms of performance and quality in existence. Still wouldn't justify spending the extra money over the RMi which is so damn good anyways and has my favorite feature - a flat 24-pin!

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The AXi is probably one of the best consumer PSUs in terms of performance and quality in existence. Still wouldn't justify spending the extra money over the RMi which is so damn good anyways and has my favorite feature - a flat 24-pin!

Fuck, I´d take anything quality tier 3 unit as long as it was modular and had 2 8 pins. I have a 7970 that´s laying around that I can´t use.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Fuck, I´d take anything quality tier 3 unit as long as it was modular and had 2 8 pins. I have a 7970 that´s laying around that I can´t use.

Seasonic M12 or Antec HCG man. Might be able to find an EVGA B2 or GQ for that money too.