PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation
3 minutes ago, Mailbox23 said:

Right now that M12 is $15-20 more so thats a no-go. 

For $2 more that was my thought exactly. 

Gotcha - double check that the Antec HCG (a Seasonic M12 internally) isn't cheaper first as well.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Some thoughts about this list:

Why is EVGA NEX G stuck in Tier 6? For one thing, let's stick to individual models. The EVGA NEX 750 G has 100% Japanese Chemi-Con capacitors. It's certainly no the best in crossloading since it's not DC-DC regulation, but it's nowhere near the bottom-rung. As can be seen in the review of it here https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NEX750G/5.html it's going to take a lot of convincing to explain to me why it's in Tier 6.

Next complaint, EVGA B2 is in Tier 3 below the EVGA GS and GQ series. For one thing, the GQ series has such varying quality unit to unit. The 850 GQ performs great, but the 750 GQ has out-of-spec 3.3V ripple under full load and poorer performance in general. The 650 GQ has higher ripple than the 750 B2 and is not as good either.

The GS series, well, it depends on what unit we are talking about. I never like to generalize a series because the units in a series vary. I'd highly recommend you start placing things into tiers based on actual models instead of grouping a whole series together. The GQ series is a perfect example with units of varying quality. So is the EVGA B series; the 600B performs much better than the 500B, way better ripple and better caps and should be in a higher tier than it.

Also, with the CX series, there are new CX450M, CX550M, and CX650M units on Newegg which have DC-DC regulation and 100% Japanese caps. Therefore, the CX units on this tier list should not be generalize by just "CX" because different CX units have different quality and performance levels.

Oh, and last but not least. How on earth is the RMx and RMi not Tier 1? They are better than the EVGA G2. They all have tighter ripple control, they are quieter (as tested by Aris, the reviewer at Tomshardware) and they don't have issues with the various types of holdup times like almost all G2 units do.

Just some recommendations. I realize you said it needs editing, so I'm putting in my best input and will do so daily. Also, you should cite the reviews from which you get the data to place units into tiers. Last but not least, don't just stick to Jonnyguru; Techpowerup and Tomshardware have the best reviews, for instance, and there are so many other sites that test more things than Jonnyguru.

ANy reason the Be Quiet Power Zone is Tier 4? Looking at the review of the 850W one here https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PowerZone_850W/1.html it has great voltage load regulation, good ripple, DC-DC for the 3.3V and 5V rails, good transient response. I don't see why it's Tier 4.

Also, what is your methodology for the tiers? I think there are way too many tiers with stuff too imbalanced. The EVGA 400W, sucky as is, did not blow up when tested, so why it's at the very bottom is questionably by me. It completely stays within ATX specification http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=436

21 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

ANy reason the Be Quiet Power Zone is Tier 4? Looking at the review of the 850W one here https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PowerZone_850W/1.html it has great voltage load regulation, good ripple, DC-DC for the 3.3V and 5V rails, good transient response. I don't see why it's Tier 4.

Also, what is your methodology for the tiers? I think there are way too many tiers with stuff too imbalanced. The EVGA 400W, sucky as is, did not blow up when tested, so why it's at the very bottom is questionably by me. It completely stays within ATX specification http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=436

Aniallation doesn't come on here much anymore so there's not much we can do about this thread. I've already asked mods if I could edit it and they said there's no way to set it up.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Aniallation doesn't come on here much anymore so there's not much we can do about this thread. I've already asked mods if I could edit it and they said there's no way to set it up.

Aah I was not aware of that.

4 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

@STRMfrmXMN EVGA Isn't the P2 and PS the same, but the PS is more of a "quiet" edition?

They're both tier 1, and the S is made by Seasonic. They're probably about as loud, but I believe the PS gets louder quicker as the fan starts running at 20% load so if silence is your thing then grab the P2. Same goes with the higher wattage versions of the GS vs G2

7 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

@STRMfrmXMN EVGA Isn't the P2 and PS the same, but the PS is more of a "quiet" edition?

The EVGA Supernova 1000 PS is based on the Seasonic XP2S platform, while the EVGA Supernova P2 is Super Flower Leadex

How does my cx750M hold up with my build? Should I upgrade it as soon as possible or is it fine for now? I am planning to get a non-reference 1080 when they drop and reviews/benchmarks are out or if pascal isn't that good then a 980Ti or two. I was planning to upgrade the psu when I got the new cards but I don't want to if I don't really have to. Only asking because I seen in this thread that the CX-M series is better than the regular CX series and something about how the 750w models are even better? Not too well versed in psu shit.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

13 minutes ago, Festive said:

How does my cx750M hold up with my build? Should I upgrade it as soon as possible or is it fine for now? I am planning to get a non-reference 1080 when they drop and reviews/benchmarks are out or if pascal isn't that good then a 980Ti or two. I was planning to upgrade the psu when I got the new cards but I don't want to if I don't really have to. Only asking because I seen in this thread that the CX-M series is better than the regular CX series and something about how the 750w models are even better? Not too well versed in psu shit.

The new ones are good. The old ones (the one you have) are crap. CX750 is a GS rebrand but that's also bad. Basically, if you are buying a new GPU, an upgrade to the PSU is a must. 2x 980 Tis would fry that thing. Hell, even one might cause it to choke on the heat.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

The new ones are good. The old ones (the one you have) are crap. CX750 is a GS rebrand but that's also bad. Basically, if you are buying a new GPU, an upgrade to the PSU is a must. 2x 980 Tis would fry that thing. Hell, even one might cause it to choke on the heat.

Thanks, Don. So what Psu would you reccomend for me? I would like one with OC headroom for both my processor and Gpu. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

12 minutes ago, Festive said:

Thanks, Don. So what Psu would you reccomend for me? I would like one with OC headroom for both my processor and Gpu. 

Single 1080 - SeaSonic G-series 550W (Modular) or S12G 550W (Non-Modular) OR X-series (higher end platform)
Single 980 Ti - SeaSonic G-series 550W (Modular) or S12G 550W (Non-Modular) OR X-series
1080 SLI - SeaSonic G-series 750W or X-series 750W
980 Ti SLI - SeaSonic X-series 850W

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Single 1080 - SeaSonic G-series 550W (Modular) or S12G 550W (Non-Modular) OR X-series (higher end platform)
Single 980 Ti - SeaSonic G-series 550W (Modular) or S12G 550W (Non-Modular) OR X-series
1080 SLI - SeaSonic G-series 750W or X-series 750W
980 Ti SLI - SeaSonic X-series 850W

You da best fam.

•  

2 hours ago, Festive said:

For the record, these are the CXM units that have been updated to a new (much better, 40 degrees rated) platform: 450, 550, 650, 750, 850. The way to tell that they're the new series is by looking at their rated temperature and at pictures, the new ones have a grey sticker rather than green.

I wouldn't know how the higher wattage units (750, 850) perform in comparison however - they might not be based on the same platform as the ones we saw reviews for.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I wouldn't know how the higher wattage units (750, 850) perform in comparison however - they might not be based on the same platform as the ones we saw reviews for.

They still based on the same CWT PUQ-B platform, so they will perform comparatively with the older models. They still offer the same benefits as the newer gray labeled unit of course (40C, 5 year warranty, black cables, the Approved Vendor List (AVL) has Japanese caps for the secondary - not just Taiwanese/Chinese. The changes that was made to the components that I know of is an higher rated bridge rectifier.

10 minutes ago, quan289 said:

They still based on the same CWT PUQ-B platform, so they will perform comparatively with the older models. They still offer the same benefits as the newer gray labeled unit of course (40C, 5 year warranty, black cables, the Approved Vendor List (AVL) has Japanese caps for the secondary - not just Taiwanese/Chinese. The changes that was made to the components that I know of is an higher rated bridge rectifier.

So at least they won't shut themselves off because of OTP. Not bad.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Festive said:

You da best fam.

There are also more option that just Seasonic models :P

The EVGA GQ/GS/G2 are all solid options for ya as well as the Antec HCP and Corsair RMi.

Anyone got info on the new Zalman TX units. They're EU only and certified 80-plus 230V. They're made by Hui Cheng and rated for 40 degrees.

But I can't find benchmarks :(

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Anyone got info on the new Zalman TX units. They're EU only and certified 80-plus 230V. They're made by Hui Cheng and rated for 40 degrees.

But I can't find benchmarks :(

Nothing from me here :/

29 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nothing from me here :/

I'd say it being "cheaper than CX" is a safe assumption, wouldn't you say?

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I'd say it being "cheaper than CX" is a safe assumption, wouldn't you say?

I don't know any units from the OEM so I'd guess it's an "eww" unit but I don't know tbh. There are OK 80+ units with non-modularity, they just haven't been made in like 10 years xD

There's like the off chance that the OEM eschewed efficiency in favour of line regulation / ripple suppression / transient performance, but it's unlikely. I'll mark it on avoid for now. I had to recommend someone from portugal and ended up recommending a TS from amazon.es even though it's apparently quite a hassle to order from spain to portugal.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Hi I need a Psu recommendationbecause my no name old PSU is dying. 

I need a budget PSU, I am aiming for a 500W 80+ bronze that can support a single card from 150-250$ range.

I am planing to upgrade at the end of the year to either Pascal or Polaris offering in those price ranges  

I am running an A10 6800k with radeon HD 7750 atm. 

9 minutes ago, Altinn said:

snip

Your setup won't draw more than 250W and as such a 350W PSU would do the job.

If you're in the US, I can give you two recommendations.

The 350W Seasonic 80+ Bronze which will run your system (although it doesn't allow for upgrades) for $30. http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-SSP350E

The 450W Corsair New CXM which will run a good midrange single GPU system for $50 (after rebate card). http://www.microcenter.com/product/460286/CX450M_450_Watt_80_Bronze_Semi-Modular_ATX_Power_Supply

Update: The XFX TS 550W costs $53 after mail-in rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Altinn said:

Hi I need a Psu recommendationbecause my no name old PSU is dying. 

I need a budget PSU, I am aiming for a 500W 80+ bronze that can support a single card from 150-250$ range.

I am planing to upgrade at the end of the year to either Pascal or Polaris offering in those price ranges  

I am running an A10 6800k with radeon HD 7750 atm. 

Antec HCG 520w or Seasonic M12 are good modular options.