Is Windows 8 good now

UNuniQueLY

Windows 8 is "new" Operating System, in comparison to Windows 7, it have some features that Win7 doesn't, but, it is less "mature" operating system.

Answer to your question is, it depends from hardware you use. For my hardware, Windows 8 is not better, and have a lot of problems compared to Windows 7.

Windows 7 with recent (recommended) updated that solved some 2D problems, it is working very well, and I'm fully satisfied with it (as i was with XP). So if there is no reason to go with Win 8, chances are, you will be better of with Win 7.

As far as I can tell, the only issues people have with windows 8 now, over 6 months after release/the bandwagon, are compatibility issues, which are very rare and can mostly be fixed using compatibility mode, and the "modern UI", which can be fixed with StartIsBack (or start8, but that's more expensive for less features). Personally, I think if microsoft had put more effort into making the metro stuff more streamlined, it could have been so much better. For example, it would make so much sense if you could run modern apps in a window on the destop rather than the really disjointed experience (which is partially solved in 8.1) or switching between the two interfaces.

HTTP/2 203

I've had Windows 8 Pro since May after using XP for 10 years and I must say it's amazing.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I'm glad I got win 8 pro upgrade early on when it was $40.. So I bought for both my PCs.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I'm glad I got win 8 pro upgrade early on when it was $40.. So I bought for both my PCs.

Same here. You can do a "full" install with the upgrade too via double-install trick. :)

Windows 8 is good, if you are willing to learn the new Start Screen.

Once you learn it, you see how you can customize it, by pinning folders and desktop application, making and naming groups, and sort things from the more used at the bottom left to the least use (or already on the task bar) to the top right, it becomes a joy to use.

I'm biased because I prefer the start menu as apposed to a heaping pile of crap, but I suppose if you overlook that one detail, it's pretty good.

Sarah Jessica Parker

Same here. You can do a "full" install with the upgrade too via double-install trick. :)

No need, you can do a clean install of the upgrade without a previous version. At first I did a dual boot with Win 7, after a few hours I decided "the hell with it" (wasn't happy with how little was left on the SSD with both on it), wiped the SSD and installed Win 8. It never did ask for a previous version, and I've reinstalled it a couple times since without it asking for a previous version.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

No need, you can do a clean install of the upgrade without a previous version. At first I did a dual boot with Win 7, after a few hours I decided "the hell with it" (wasn't happy with how little was left on the SSD with both on it), wiped the SSD and installed Win 8. It never did ask for a previous version, and I've reinstalled it a couple times since without it asking for a previous version.

It never asked me for a previous version either but got an error during activation. Installed Win8 again on top of Win8 and no more error.

Actually, all you need to do is change a registry value which is a value that the setup sets if it detected a previous version of Windows.

This is actually new, since Windows 7. In Vista and XP, you HAD to have a previous version of Windows.

The reason why they implement this registry value that you can change, is to allow you to do a clean install if you got a new SSD or HDD, or your previous version needs to be formatted, because it got screwed up, or you want to format it as it had a virus.

All you need to do is:

1- Open the Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

and MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0"

2- Then refresh the activation system, so open the Command Prompt as true Administrator, and type: slmgr /rearm, and reboot your computer.

Activation of Windows should be working.

I got the above when I got Windows 7 Professional on day 1, and I got a new HDD. I went through the advance support of Microsoft, and I got told that.

Now it's everywhere on the interwebs, as I am not alone.

I would just use windows 7 or whatever OS you already have for your budget build and then install windows 8.1 (when it comes out) on your Main PC because I think windows 8 will be much more usable once the service pack comes out. MS has to/is working on tying the Modern and Standard UI together.

For me, right-clicking the start logo (in windows 8) is good enough because it brings up all the options that i really need. Everything else is nice to have on the start screen. I think getting one of those start menu programs is counter productive because this is the direction MS is going and I believe its better to adjust now rather than later. Thats just IMHO tho.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Had windows 8 for 1 month, and I must say I wanna go back to win7. My audio device doesnt work (Focusrite Saffire 6 USB), some games can't be installed and I also had some other driver compitability issues. I do have start menu 8 or whatever that is called.

Did you run the setup of the game under compatibility mode. Some game setup check if you have XP, Vista, Win7.. and if you don't, assumes you are running on an older OS, and refuses to install.

Compatibility mode, will by pass the OS check of the setup so that it installs successfully. Everything that works in Win7 works in Win8.

Your Focusrite Saffire 6 USB doesn't have Windows 8 drivers. Don't buy anything from them anymore, as clearly they don't give a damn about their products, at least those of older products.

Probably doing like Creative, doing everything in their power to force you to buy a new sound system at every Windows version.

You have to be specific on "other driver compatibility issues"

It's actually pretty good, and most of the hate was just bandwagon and from power/professional users losing or having some features changed.

aka the crowd that hates all forms of change as I know a local company that still uses XP, and only recently did they switch to XP (2 years ago) until that time they stuck with Windows 95.....shudders

People that get worked up about the start menu being gone in windows 8 don't realize how pointless it really was.

Everything you would want it to do you can do much faster with more options in windows 8.

^^^this 

Start menu was design for a time when you only had a handful of programs on your computer, now you have dozens, if not hundreds of programs, apps and games. i think it was more of an issue changing where to find the ""Search" function, as thats all anyone used it for .......or digging through the all programs menu to find something.