rule paradox/grey area

Bsmith

so i after reading this post from our beloved mod alpenwasser I kinda started wondering about something.

the rule he stated is all clear and logical, but under the description of the off topic section(this one) stands the following.

Discussion - Non-tech related content only please! New members can say Hi here.

source: http://linustechtips.com/main/

post-17790-0-75043600-1436534227.jpg

screenshot from @ShadowCaptain from the desciption

so yeah.. it's kinda paradoxial/greyish area in the rule giving that the discription encourages non-tech related discussions, but the rule mentoined says the opposite.

3 - The Off-Topic section IS for productive threads that may not fall into one of the already laid out sections of the forum. At all times though, this is a tech centered and focused forum.

source: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

so yeah, anybody here able to make a guess about the priority?

I'm also aware of the CoC part that we aren't allowed to post threads causing unrest here on purpose, but that's not my meaning.

I'm just looking for clarification of what is more important, the description or the above mentoined rule?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

SNIP

Funny I just thought the same thing and made a screenshot

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think Off topic guidelines apply here:

1 - First of all, ALL the items of the CoC (Code of Conduct) apply to the Off-Topic section.

2 - The Off-Topic section is NOT for junk posts, SPAM, trolling and just any old thing.

3 - The Off-Topic section IS for productive threads that may not fall into one of the already laid out sections of the forum. At all times though, this is a tech centered and focused forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

This post/thread did fell under the 2nd rule IMO.

But there was a thread yesterday or the day before that was about sharing your dreams.. And it got locked because it was not tech related and this is a tech related forum (it was posted in Off Topic).

This confused me more, as I thought in Off topic you were allowed to discuss/talk about thing not tech related..  :wacko:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Funny I just thought the same thing and made a screenshot

hmm yeah a screenshot would have helped to include the validty of the problem i guess

A very good point. 

I don't think that off-topic should be considered a "tech centered and focused forum", because that's the intent of the entire LTT forums, and off-topic forums generally don't fall in line with the topic of the main forum.

Just my experience on other forums

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

its not a paradox. its a grey area none the less

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I think Off topic guidelines apply here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

This post/thread did fell under the 2nd rule IMO.

But there was a thread yesterday or the day before that was about sharing your dreams.. And it got locked because it was not tech related and this is a tech related forum (it was posted in Off Topic).

This confused me more, as I thought in Off topic you were allowed to discuss/talk about thing not tech related..  :wacko:

i agree that it can fall under the 2nd rule,  as people might consider it junk, spam, or trolling, but it's seriously bothering me, since there are threads non-tech related which are allowed and one's that are non-tech related which get removed for being non-tech related.

its not a paradox. its a grey area none the less

guess grey area is a better word yeah, altough i couldn't find it on my own.

This subforum is for discussion of non-tech content, but those discussions must adhere to the rules as laid out in that thread. The comment at the end of the section of the rules that you have noticed is just to remind members that the Off Topic isn't the primary purpose of the site, and it can be thought of as a perk for members rather than something that the site needs to have. I agree that the wording is a bit misleading though, and I will see whether it can be changed.

Your thread was locked because there's a big difference between discussion of topics that happen not to be related to tech and a thread that serves no purpose but to shout about having made some number of posts on this site.

HTTP/2 203

This subforum is for discussion of non-tech content, but those discussions must adhere to the rules as laid out in that thread. The comment at the end of the section of the rules that you have noticed is just to remind members that the Off Topic isn't the primary purpose of the site, and it can be thought of as a perk for members rather than something that the site needs to have. I agree that the wording is a bit misleading though, and I will see whether it can be changed.

Your thread was locked because there's a big difference between discussion of topics that happen not to be related to tech and a thread that serves no purpose but to shout about having made some number of posts on this site.

I have a re-wording for you

3 - The Off-Topic section IS for productive threads that may not fall into one of the already laid out sections of the forum. At all times though, the wider forums are tech-related and tech focused as a whole

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

hmm i see, thanks alot for clarification, if you ask me this thread now is allowed to be locked because it's purpose has been deliverd and the answer has been cleared.

wouldnt be a bad idea to lock it, bad things might occur when topics like this remain open.

thanks for looking into possible clarification by the way.

That is true ... Maybe it's time for change ? 

Also , I think it's a contraversy ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ...