Apple iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan Betas are live

79wjd

All you have to do is sign up with your email and then you can take part in the betas: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Yes, many of these were already supported through third party apps / on other platforms...blah blah whatever. 

Not much as really changed too much, but it's still cool to play around with and find some new/cool things which weren't listed yet. 

iOS 9 Supported Devices: 

iPad 2 and later 

iPhone 4s and later 

ipod touch 5th gen

IOS 9: 

• Return to the app you were pulled out of by a link 
  • Low power mode 
  • sketching within notes 
  • Capitalized keyboard (capital keys*)
  • Multitasking on the iPad (not mini) 
  • cellular continuity with a Mac (off wifi) 
  • New multitasking switcher 
  • Redmapped mute switch (on iPhone's) to auto rotate/mute 
  • new iCloud drive app 
  • Faster scrolling through photo library 
  • zooming when watching videos 
  • access to wallet from lock screen
  • hide photos 
  • flash on/off when in video 
  • email more than 5 photos at a time
  • rounded corners 
  • call/text from search bar 
  • battery life improvements / general refinements 
  • Holding down on the keyboard with two fingers allows you to highlight/move through text
  • Drag to select multiple photos
  • Folders within notes
  • Ability to change resolution/FPS in video app. 

El Capitan Beta: 

• Windows Snapping (I still prefer Better Touch Tool) 
  • cellular continuity 
  • ?
  • general refinements  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

tfw you don't have room for updates since 8.0.1 since updates takes like 19023918 tbs + photos

zooming when watching videos

hide photos

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tfw you don't have room for updates since 8.0.1 since updates takes like 19023918 tbs + photos

Good thing ios9 takes up less space and will temporarily uninstall apps in order to make room for the iOS 9 installer. (I don't know if the beta does this) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

"OS X El Capitan"

Yeah Apple definitely ran out of ideas. Anybody that can actually explain this to me is more than welcome to.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

"OS X El Capitan"

Yeah Apple definitely ran out of ideas. Anybody that can actually explain this to me is more than welcome to.

It's a name..?

"OS X El Capitan"

Yosemite was a way better name.

It's a name..?

Yeah but they were doing predatory cats...

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

I started reading the changes list for iOS 9 and all I could think of was:"Is this 2009?" Seriously... My god... Even Windows Phone covered most of that and Apple is supposed to be a pioneer in software.

I'm not a hater, but come on, seriously??? Good god...

"OS X El Capitan"

I think it's a fine name. This may not be as it's meant to be interpreted, but this is how I see the naming scheme. 

I don't know how to describe this well, but Apple's OS updates work kinda like Intel's Tick Tock model. One year Apple would tweak minor things and iron out little problems in their OS, and then the next year it would completely overhaul the OS. Then the next year would be another minor update, and the year after that would be another major change etc. etc.

When Apple would introduce a new OS, it would name it a completely new cat, i.e. Leopard or Lion. When it would do a small change to the OS (this is the part I don't really know how to explain), it would build upon that name, i.e. SNOW Leopard and MOUNTAIN Lion. 

Yosemite was the big change for the OS. It was a huge step away from what Mavericks was. And to signify this, Apple called the OS after a completely different landmark. El Capitan is the small update that proceeds. Because of this, it's name just builds upon the name of the previous OS. In this case, El Capitan is a landmark inside Yosemite, thus signifying that it is a small update. The next update is going to be once again a really big update, and it's going to be named another completely different landmark. And then the OS after that will be called something similar to the OS before. 

I have no idea if any of that made any sense, and if I sound completely crazy, but that's how I see it lol

Edit: maybe easier way to understand it?

Every big update to OS X is a completely different name, and the small updates are names that are very similar to the name of the previous OS (Lion to Mountain Lion, Yosemite to El Capitan). 

They changed predatory cats after 2012, with Mountain Lion being the last. They were running out of big cats to use (I remember during the Keynote speech for the release of Mavericks, Phil Schiller joked about calling it Sea Lion, because there were no more big cats). Although it's a shame OS X Lynx never happened, cause that sounds badass

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

And then they did an unbranded calf. edit, probably the surf location instead

And then a natural park.

And now a mountain in said national park.

Makes as much sense as the stuff before hand. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Looks like the Apple servers are under quite a bit of load. Hopefully I can sneak in and try out El Capitan.

I started reading the changes list for iOS 9 and all I could think of was:"Is this 2009?" Seriously... My god... Even Windows Phone covered most of that and Apple is supposed to be a pioneer in software.

I'm not a hater, but come on, seriously??? Good god...

No, if it was 2009 android would literally be a hot mess of shit running on crummy Motorola droids, while the iPhone OS App Store was still in its infancy.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I installed ios 9... touch ID is almost too fast. Pressing the home button to show the lock screen unlocks it now. The keyboard is weird with the font reflecting capitalization. Font might be different too, clock font on the top of the screen is for sure different. Maybe just bold. App manager is just.. ugh, plus it lags on my 5s. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Is the public version of the iOS 9 Beta 1 just the same as iOS 9 Beta 3? 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I have them both on my devices. The betas are buggy AF so just wait. There is no turning back once you install it. Also, it voids your warranty until you install a non-beta version.

I have them both on my devices. The betas are buggy AF so just wait. There is no turning back once you install it. Also, it voids your warranty until you install a non-beta version.

Does it actually void the warranty? (source?) That's really messed up on Apple's part if that's the case. 

As for it being buggy, that's not much of a surprise. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd advice people to install the beta's on secondary (Old) devices or on their iPhone/iPad then revert back after trying out some of the new features if they find it too buggy. 

For me I was running iOS Beta 2 on my old iPhone 5 and it wasn't too bad, little buggy, a crash here and there, but I have't updated to Beta 3 yet which came out a day or so ago, but hopefully it only gets better aha 

What do you mean about no turning back? You can revert to an older OS on your iDevices and Macs. 

Also it 100% doesn't void any warranty 

u6arVGA.png

nlm5Uqi.png

From https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Does it actually void the warranty? (source?) That's really messed up on Apple's part if that's the case. 

As for it being buggy, that's not much of a surprise. 

The source is having an issue last year with the IOS 8 Beta and having beg them to change my screen.

-snip-

I guess that they changed their policies. Good move.

If I want to multitask with the ipad mini then let me! LET ME MULTITASK , I CAN MULTI-WINDOW WITH AN ANDROID PHONE! WHY CAN'T I WITH A STUPID IPAD MINI.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If I want to multitask with the ipad mini then let me! LET ME MULTITASK , I CAN MULTI-WINDOW WITH AN ANDROID PHONE! WHY CAN'T I WITH A STUPID IPAD MINI.

You should be able to multitask on an iphone 6 plus as well. Its weird that its so limited to the ipad. Hopefully its so they can refine it rather than make the ipad more appealing. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

No, if it was 2009 android would literally be a hot mess of shit running on crummy Motorola droids, while the iPhone OS App Store was still in its infancy.

Oh I would know. I've been on Android since 1.5 and recently dropped it from all the frustrations with it. But these new features or list of fixes should have been kept as minor changes or brought in as a small update. Reading some of these changes made me laugh. I mean adding more than 5 pictures in an email was impossible...

Oh I would know. I've been on Android since 1.5 and recently dropped it from all the frustrations with it. But these new features or list of fixes should have been kept as minor changes or brought in as a small update. Reading some of these changes made me laugh. I mean adding more than 5 pictures in an email was impossible...

I lasted till 4.2. Once 4.2 rolled around and Android still wasn't as smooth and fast as iOS even with project butter I dropped it for an iPhone and haven't looked back. Though I recently got 5.1.1 on my Nexus 10 and its gotten so much better since 4.2 it's ridiculous. Its still not as fast or smooth as my old iPad 3 is but it doesn't randomly crash or reboot anymore and it is markedly smoother (though like I said not as smooth as the iPad 3 released a a few months before it) so its obvious Google's been putting in work in that department. 

Plus Apple's new music streaming service is awesome.