Apple iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan Betas are live

79wjd

access to wallet from lock screen

Did everyone miss this or...

Seems like a liiiiiiiittle bit of a security flaw

It's a choice you have to enable yourself. It's off my default. Up to you if you want the risk for the convenience of just being able to whip your phone out and double tap the home button to pay. If you lose your phone it'd be no different than losing your real wallet with your debit cards in it. 

One of those if you want to risk it go for it. 

Although it's a shame OS X Lynx never happened, cause that sounds badass

A lynx is not a big cat :D its a medium size, so it doesnt count as its not in the same genus

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Change log doesn't seems that great for iOS 9.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Got El Capitan running. So far it's pretty smooth although I did experience a huge slow down after installation but since restarting it's been smooth as butter. 

I lasted till 4.2. Once 4.2 rolled around and Android still wasn't as smooth and fast as iOS even with project butter I dropped it for an iPhone and haven't looked back. Though I recently got 5.1.1 on my Nexus 10 and its gotten so much better since 4.2 it's ridiculous. Its still not as fast or smooth as my old iPad 3 is but it doesn't randomly crash or reboot anymore and it is markedly smoother (though like I said not as smooth as the iPad 3 released a a few months before it) so its obvious Google's been putting in work in that department. 

Plus Apple's new music streaming service is awesome. 

Oh, I agree. Smoothness (constant performance) and reliability are a nr. 1 priority on a phone for me. That's why I dropped it. Since 4.4 and newer things have been looking great. I recently updated my brothers Xperia to 4.4 and it was so great. Then I updated to 5.0.2 and the contacts app started crashing, like WTF seriously? I mean you do expect these kinds of bugs from a new version and they usually get polished right off. But since it's a Sony Android phone he has to wait a month and a half for 5.1 and deal with that shit! I love how Apple and MS screw up something with a new version and just patch it out within days max! And considering how companies with Android handsets are he could have been left on 5.0.2 and screwed permanently. Which again is the reason I dropped Android.

I don't hate Apple or iPhones but some of these features feel like they should have been there for years, that is all I'm trying to say. :)

Change log doesn't seems that great for iOS 9.

There are a LOT of small new features in iOS 9 that Apple ofc didn't mention at WWDC or on their website. 

Obviously all the main, 'big' changes were listed in the OP, and they don't sound that great on paper, just low power mode/iPad multitasking/Hide photos/Better Battery Life/Smaller amount of space taken up by the update ect which would be nice for a 8.5 update or something, but seems a bit little for a 9.0 update 

But if you add all of these up with the load of small updates which help in everyday tasks then I think it's a very worthwhile update. 

There are just no 'headline' features that people really care about aha

Here's a good video that quickly demonstrates the top 50 'hidden' iOS 9 features: 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Oh, I agree. Smoothness (constant performance) and reliability are a nr. 1 priority on a phone for me. That's why I dropped it. Since 4.4 and newer things have been looking great. I recently updated my brothers Xperia to 4.4 and it was so great. Then I updated to 5.0.2 and the contacts app started crashing, like WTF seriously? I mean you do expect these kinds of bugs from a new version and they usually get polished right off. But since it's a Sony Android phone he has to wait a month and a half for 5.1 and deal with that shit! I love how Apple and MS screw up something with a new version and just patch it out within days max! And considering how companies with Android handsets are he could have been left on 5.0.2 and screwed permanently. Which again is the reason I dropped Android.

I don't hate Apple or iPhones but some of these features feel like they should have been there for years, that is all I'm trying to say.  :)

It did take them a few years to finally add in the notifications menu -- and personally I still prefer Android's. And I mean, some of the features being added should have been done so a long time ago (but then again, google should also really add something like continuity for messages/cell too and not require a third part app), but for the most part -- for me anyway -- I don't really care about most of them.

Returning to an app that you were pulled out of would be nice, but it doesn't happen all that often, low power mode sucks on every device I've seen it on since it basically clocks the phone down to 1mhz. Sketching within notes is cool (but not on most other phones either? -- especially since Android phones need a third party app for notes). Capital keys is just a stupid thing which should've been in the OS years ago -- but I don't really care about it since it's not hard to remember the keyboard is capitalized (since it uncapitalizes every time you leave the English keyboard). Split-screen multi-tasking should be a thing (on all devices -- iPhones included) -- let me decide if my screen is big enough. Giving the option for the mute switch...well, this is just plain stupid to not have been added long ago. Faster scrolling through photo library is nice (but also not native on most Android devices that I've seen). Zooming when watching videos -- can you do that on most android devices (I've never actually tried)? Hiding photos also isn't a feature in Android AFAIK (although I could be wrong -- my only really recent experience with Android is on my Note 8 that I use for notes and not much else since Touch Wiz -- and tablets in general -- piss me off/are useless). Flash toggle within videos also should have been added long ago....as should being able to email more than five photos at a time and calling/texting from the search bar. 

They also appeared to have moved the 'quick/recent' contacts to the search page and off of multitasking page -- which imo kind of sucks. I've never actually used those quick contacts, but I'm sure they're convenient for those people who call a lot. The two finger scrolling also looks like it's going to be amazingly useful -- highlighting text/moving to where you want to in text up until now has always pissed me off to no end. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It did take them a few years to finally add in the notifications menu -- and personally I still prefer Android's. And I mean, some of the features being added should have been done so a long time ago (but then again, google should also really add something like continuity for messages/cell too and not require a third part app), but for the most part -- for me anyway -- I don't really care about most of them.

Returning to an app that you were pulled out of would be nice, but it doesn't happen all that often, low power mode sucks on every device I've seen it on since it basically clocks the phone down to 1mhz. Sketching within notes is cool (but not on most other phones either? -- especially since Android phones need a third party app for notes). Capital keys is just a stupid thing which should've been in the OS years ago -- but I don't really care about it since it's not hard to remember the keyboard is capitalized (since it uncapitalizes every time you leave the English keyboard). Split-screen multi-tasking should be a thing (on all devices -- iPhones included) -- let me decide if my screen is big enough. Giving the option for the mute switch...well, this is just plain stupid to not have been added long ago. Faster scrolling through photo library is nice (but also not native on most Android devices that I've seen). Zooming when watching videos -- can you do that on most android devices (I've never actually tried)? Hiding photos also isn't a feature in Android AFAIK (although I could be wrong -- my only really recent experience with Android is on my Note 8 that I use for notes and not much else since Touch Wiz -- and tablets in general -- piss me off/are useless). Flash toggle within videos also should have been added long ago....as should being able to email more than five photos at a time and calling/texting from the search bar. 

They also appeared to have moved the 'quick/recent' contacts to the search page and off of multitasking page -- which imo kind of sucks. I've never actually used those quick contacts, but I'm sure they're convenient for those people who call a lot. The two finger scrolling also looks like it's going to be amazingly useful -- highlighting text/moving to where you want to in text up until now has always pissed me off to no end. 

Exactly, most of the stuff should have been there years ago. And quite a few other stuff that they added in iOS 7 and 8 felt like they should have been there.

And I hate how people always compare iOS and Android performance on phones and never even bothered looking at screen resolution. I mean iPhones (until recently) had shit resolution with a good pixel density due to their small screens and Android phones have been pushing 720-1080p for ages (1440p now) and for such a small chipset it takes quite a bit to keep everything smooth at those resolutions. And then you sit down and read a review that compares game performance on a 800x480 or 960x540 vs 720p or 1080p screen... Seriously??? At those resolutions no wonder the OS is smooth, there is no load on the GPU outside of gaming.

Now back to features.

I think there is video zooming on some Android players (not stock). Split screen multitasking... Hmmm, well not sure but, I like how smaller apps such as calculator, notes and some others can be used to hover on screen while something else is in the background. Oh yeah, video player too, but not sure if you want to do that on small screens. And yeah, I don't think you can hide photos on Android in a normal way. But if you know linux, you know that placing a . in front of a folder will hide it. So naming a folder .hiddenphotos should get the OS to ignore that folder and not display pictures in the picture library (at least in theory). Flash toggle in videos has been there long before smartphones were around.

Battery saving- not sure how this will work, but in most cases it does extend battery life, but at a cost as always. As you said, it downclocks the chipset, lowers brightness, turns off features (that require sensors) and usually blocks some background tasks (on WP). Which is very useful if you are just trying to save battery, as it should be used, just in those cases. :)