LinusWeightLiftingTips: The Journey Begins

Hello all,

I have finally decided to change my life and get back into shape. I feel miserable everyday and my health condition is becoming a risk. I just did a physical exam and if you want I can post those results later. So just some background on me. I use to be fit 3 years ago. I worked out for 7 years and I got down to 8% body fat. Life was great and I was winning my fight against my depression. Depression smacked me in the face. Some of my friends betrayed me and life went down hill. Battling severe depression for 17 years now. I finally beat my depression last year. I gained 50lbs(22.6796kg) because I stopped working out and I stopped eating healthy.

My goals

To lose 30-50lbs

- 6 months for this goal

To go from 25% body fat down to 10% body fat

- 6 to 10 months for this goal

Start eating healthy again

- I will start this goal tomorrow

3 main meals and 3 snacks

- Start tomorrow

Cook my own food and save money

- Start tomorrow

To be able to improve my weightlifting over a 6 week period.

- Basic lifting

Go to the gym 4 days a week

- Started yesterday

Cardio goals

30 minutes of heart rate running 5 days a week

- Starts tomorrow

5 minutes of cardio before my workout

Learn proper stretching

Other goals

Check out the local boxing gym tomorrow

Check out the local pool tomorrow

Get the fitbit app on my cell phone

Get proper workout gear to avoid injuries

Get a whey protein jug

Get a pre-workout supplement

Get Creatine

Get a mulch-vitamin supplement

Get some green tea or black tea for antioxidants

Get an omega 3, 6 and 9 supplement

My stats

5' 7" (170.18cm)

200lbs (90.7185kg)

25% body fat

Health condition - Poor

What I have done so far

I just joined a 24/7 gym

I worked out yesterday for the first time in 3 years

I can update this thread if anyone is interested. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on writing my meal plan down and my workout routine.

Thanks all.

I know there are a lot of these threads on here.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

get a Fitbit and post the Stats everyday

Start boxing. Weightlifting won't make you loose weight, it will tone you. You need a better cardio, a better metabolism all while building muscle with body weight exercise.

Spoiler

GrimNeo next week. 

muscular-man-10046003.jpg

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Here's some motivation

tumblr_npntnijAYS1r2aobgo7_400.gif

tumblr_npa1rpyY591s3y9slo1_500.gif

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Good luck! Personal drive can accomplish anything!

le petit snip

Become a hunk man :P

Good luck in your endeavors! Don't forget to do some running every day. Take the stairs instead. That sort of thing.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

good Luck Bro :D

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

get a Fitbit and post the Stats everyday

Is that an app I can get my cell phone?

Start boxing. Weightlifting won't make you loose weight, it will tone you. You need a better cardio, a better metabolism all while building muscle with body weight exercise.

I really thought about. There is a boxing gym right next to my work. I can check it out this weekend. My boss went there and he loved it.

Followed! It's always good to get back to a healthy position in your life. I'm also glad your depression is getting better

Very nice goals. What's the time period to accomplish them? I'm assuming 6 months to lose the 30-50 lbs and probably another 4-6 to get down your BF to 10%.

Thank you. I think 6 months would be a good goal. I will add it to the list.

If you are still in school, you should wrestle, you'll lose a ton of weight and get hella strong :)

I'm going back to college. They have a great wrestling program but I never really enjoyed it.

Good luck! Personal drive can accomplish anything!

Thank you.

Become a hunk man :P

Good luck in your endeavors! Don't forget to do some running every day. Take the stairs instead. That sort of thing.

:) Sorry, I forgot to add that. I plan on doing heart rate training

good Luck Bro :D

Thank you.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Is that an app I can get my cell phone?

Yes for Iphone and Android

Because he had a hard drive.

Thank you.

11667250_759639730814884_414630552748297

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I really thought about. There is a boxing gym right next to my work. I can check it out this weekend. My boss went there and he loved it.

It's really addicting. I did weightlifting for years on and off and for me this was what has been keeping me training 3 to 5 times a weeks for the last 5 years. It really depends on the coach's approach though. Some might be evasive with newer boxers, or try and force them into a competitive environment. If boxing interests you, find someone that doesn't pressure or humiliate, just motivates and helps.

Ask Bloodyvalley, he tried it out and loved it.

Spoiler

if you want to loose weight its all about cutting those carbs and sugar. so stop eating the sweets and stop eating bread. focus on meat and vegetables. if you need carbs eat rice. its healthy carbs that do not give you a insulin boost. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Start slowly! I know you can do it  :)

Don't force yourself, it can lead to injury instead.

Oh and try to eat food that contain more fiber.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Hello all,

I have finally decided to change my life and get back into shape. I feel miserable everyday and my health condition is becoming a risk. I just did a physical exam and if you want I can post those results later. So just some background on me. I use to be fit 3 years ago. I worked out for 7 years and I got down to 8% body fat. Life was great and I was winning my fight against my depression. Depression smacked me in the face. Some of my friends betrayed me and life went down hill. Battling severe depression for 17 years now. I finally beat my depression last year. I gained 50lbs(22.6796kg) because I stopped working out and I stopped eating healthy.

My goals

To lose 30-50lbs

To go from 25% body fat down to 10% body fat

Start eating healthy again

3 main meals and 3 snacks

Cook my own food and save money

To be able to improve my weightlifting over a 6 week period.

Go to the gym 4 days a week

My stats

5' 7" (170.18cm)

200lbs (90.7185kg)

25% body fat

Health condition - Poor

What I have done so far

I just joined a 24/7 gym

I worked out yesterday for the first time in 3 years

I can update this thread if anyone is interested. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on writing my meal plan down and my workout routine.

Thanks all.

I know there are a lot of these threads on here.

There are many ways to accomplish this but make sure to have ankle and knee sleeves for support and when looking for these support sleeves for yourself make sure to get you size and that they have tension relief holes in them.

Make sure to do a warm up and cool down with stretching each time you go to do your sets.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

It's really addicting. I did weightlifting for years on and off and for me this was what has been keeping me training 3 to 5 times a weeks for the last 5 years. It really depends on the coach's approach though. Some might be evasive with newer boxers, or try and force them into a competitive environment. If boxing interests you, find someone that doesn't pressure or humiliate, just motivates and helps.

Ask Bloodyvalley, he tried it out and loved it.

Thank you. I will check it out. I'm not really interested in competitive boxing.

if you want to loose weight its all about cutting those carbs and sugar. so stop eating the sweets and stop eating bread. focus on meat and vegetables. if you need carbs eat rice. its healthy carbs that do not give you a insulin boost. 

Exactly. I will post my diet tonight when I get home.

Start slowly! I know you can do it  :)

Don't force yourself, it can lead to injury instead.

Oh and try to eat food that contain more fiber.

Correct. Thank you. I started with small weights last night. I am really sore from last night.

There are many ways to accomplish this but make sure to have ankle and knee sleeves for support and when looking for these support sleeves for yourself make sure to get you size and that they have tension relief holes in them.

Make sure to do a warm up and cool down with stretching each time you go to do your sets.

Yes and thank you. I plan doing a 5 minute workout and I plan on stretching as well.

If you want a full-out body progression system, I would suggest swimming at your local pool, at least once every other day. Swimming works almost every muscle in your body, and it's a fantastic way to get fit. I've been competitively swimming for 12 years now, and although I do lift weights and run, I am in perfect physical condition, and I can lift almost 300lbs. If you want any recommendations on swimming sets or certain activities, just feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck on this task. Once you hit your goal (I know you will) definitely be sure to post the results for all of us to see. Cheers! 

I will check out my local pool. I heard water exercise is great.

I'm updating my thread with your guys input. Thank you so much.

Good luck man :D

Thank you. I think the first week is the hardest. If I can survive this first week then I will be able to accomplish my goals.

Thank you. I think the first week is the hardest. If I can survive this first week then I will be able to accomplish my goals.

Beginning is hard I know, but you'll adapt to it  :)

Just imagine the good result, it should help to motivate you.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Beginning is hard I know, but you'll adapt to it  :)

Just imagine the good result, it should help to motivate you.

Exactly. Should I do abs at all? I know when you weight-lift it really gets that core area as well.

Exactly. Should I do abs at all? I know when you weight-lift it really gets that core area as well.

I think weight-lift would help build muscle, I think jogging would be better, another choice is morning walk.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

good luck man! from all these people that are starting lifting (you, barnacules, and a lot of my friends), its making me want to lift lol

guess i have to go buy a gym membership

Congrats and I wish you the best, you're slightly taller than me (I'm 168cm and I weight 74kg) I need to get in shape as well >_<

Edit: I can't write anymore, it was barely readable.

Edited by Pesmerga