You got a once in a lifetime chance? would you?

BananaNinja

You got a once in a lifetime chance to test a new machine some people have been developing

It's an all in one automatic ultimate gaming and sustenance machine. which means:

-You can play any game you want at max settings
-you don't have to leave for anything
-the machine will use brain pulses and automatically feed you what you want when you want
-Don't worry, waste is also dealt with (absolutely sterile and odorless system)

-You can do a gaming streak without leaving the computer

would you try it?

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

meh.

not so fond of the never leaving

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sure as long as I can exit it whenever I please.

And as long as it doesn't kill me if I die in whatever game I'm playing.

*Cough cough* sao_logo.jpg *Cough cough*

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thats not worth it at all.. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You will need to have an extremely empty life to go along with that.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Who cares. Reality is just what you experience. The talk about brain impulses just reminds me of Morpheus asking what "real" means in the Matrix. If you're happy, then that's good.

I don't see anywhere in the OP that says you cannot leave the machine, only that you don't HAVE to leave.

So hell yes.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Who cares. Reality is just what you experience. The talk about brain impulses just reminds me of Morpheus asking what "real" means in the Matrix. If you're happy, then that's good.

I don't see anywhere in the OP that says you cannot leave the machine, only that you don't HAVE to leave.

So hell yes.

oh yeah you can leave whenever you want, the machine will ensure your survival if you never leave

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

-the machine will use brain pulses and automatically feed you what you want when you want

A big part of the joy of acquiring something is the time and effort you spent to reach the goal. If you take that away, there is virtually no joy in eating. That's the deal breaker, as it will be addictive, but when the addiction is fed, you'll still have that empty feeling.

I would've had no problem with the other things.

It doesnt say you can't leave, so I would leave sometimes

My guess is that it's implied if you left the machine, you can't get back on anymore. 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Nope ... I like having my legs be functional rather then being a crippled for the rest of my life . Also this : 

mHuK8bN.jpg

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

And what happens if it malfunctions?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I would give it a go for a few hours just to see what it was like but i doubt I would like a system that did all of those things. 

If I can leave, sure, I'd "try" it.

The concept of full-immersion gaming fascinates me (ex: SAO style) and what it would be possible to do with such a technology.

Part of the issue with this machine though, is psychological assistance, as well as physical well being after extended periods of play.

Nope ... I like having my legs be functional rather then being a crippled for the rest of my life . Also this : 

mHuK8bN.jpg

The premise with Wall-E often bothers me. How is it that we managed to master sustainable deep space travel without first getting down bioengineering to keep ourselves from being immobile? 

Anyone remember the drinks that let you eat all day in The Hunger Games series without feeling full? I imagine we will eventually have something close to that, as well as microbial ecosystems that keep us from gaining weight. As long as nobody is going hungry because of your excess, there's no reason to judge people for it. We don't judge avid readers for "eating" information all day. "You should stop reading so much man, you could be hurting your brain". 

As for the original question, I would absolutely use the machine but with a few conditions in place. First, I want to be able to see outside the system. That includes satellite feeds, traffic cams, news media etc. I also want to be able to control an external body on occasion. I want to be able to modify the body's functionality and appearance.

I also want my brain vat in Low Earth Orbit with automatic avoidance from space debris (including asteroids). This assures I won't die for a while, at least until a brain disease kills me. I'll dedicate 50% of my computing power to folding@home (but in space, lol) for good measure, just in case I'm genetically predisposed to Alzheimers or something. 

Also, assuming I can play "any game", I'll take this to mean I can play every game and not just 1. I'll also take this to mean that I can make my own games, play other peoples games, or co-develop them with others in the system. I'll also take this to mean I can play cross platform games, such as Xbox Live or PS4 Online.

Well, I don't seem to be breaking any rules and have turned this situation into something quite attractive. For now, of course, this is fantasy, but 100 years from now I don't think it'll be a "question" so much as "normal" for 99% of people. You all saw how fast the mobile phone caught on. This won't be any different. 

- snipped -

It's the company fault to begin with( BnL ) . If we have a team of top scientist we could do that ... but you have to remember that the company wants to keep humans onboard , so they fed them so they can't do anything ... 

If you could modified your brain ... There ios a quicker way to achieve a cure from Alzheimers and other disease . You coulod modified the politicians brain so that they all agree to pour more money into research , attracting more talent into science ... 

You remind me of Waddles on the brain mushroom in Gravity falls . You could solve the world's problem in about 5 years ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

It's the company fault to begin with( BnL ) . If we have a team of top scientist we could do that ... but you have to remember that the company wants to keep humans onboard , so they fed them so they can't do anything ... 

If you could modified your brain ... There ios a quicker way to achieve a cure from Alzheimers and other disease . You coulod modified the politicians brain so that they all agree to pour more money into research , attracting more talent into science ... 

You remind me of Waddles on the brain mushroom in Gravity falls . You could solve the world's problem in about 5 years ... 

This is coming from someone who often argues in favor of anarchism - I think we need politicians. Just because some of them, even a majority, are incompetent and greedy doesn't mean the job itself is useless. They mediate trade, they help regulate markets, they make tactical decisions, they monitor critical infrastructure and update it when they have the funds to do so. 

Of course the government should not be seen as an end but a means TO an end, an end which I believe should be anarchy. If the government is doing it's job correctly, then it's gradually phasing out it's own need to exist. As you said, funding research so people can move towards energy independence and autonomy. I DO NOT advocate revolution of any kind, which might set me apart from most pro-anarchy types. I don't consider myself an anarchist. If anarchists tried to apply their principles today, overnight, it would end very very badly. Slow and steady wins the race, and by this I mean over the course of 100 years MINIMUM.

This is coming from someone who often argues in favor of anarchism - I think we need politicians. Just because some of them, even a majority, are incompetent and greedy doesn't mean the job itself is useless. They mediate trade, they help regulate markets, they make tactical decisions, they monitor critical infrastructure and update it when they have the funds to do so. 

Of course the government should not be seen as an end but a means TO an end, an end which I believe should be anarchy. If the government is doing it's job correctly, then it's gradually phasing out it's own need to exist. As you said, funding research so people can move towards energy independence and autonomy. I DO NOT advocate revolution of any kind, which might set me apart from most pro-anarchy types. I don't consider myself an anarchist. If anarchists tried to apply their principles today, overnight, it would end very very badly. Slow and steady wins the race, and by this I mean over the course of 100 years MINIMUM.

that's why I sasid we should modified their brains to head towards a common goal , which for me is a Utopia ... Not completely wiping them out of existence ... 

that's why I sasid we should modified their brains to head towards a common goal , which for me is a Utopia ... Not completely wiping them out of existence ... 

I  think there are enough people already that could be competent politicians without needing to modify the brains of the current ones. We don't need any new technology to fix this. We have more than enough prisons to keep the incompetent politicians in, at least the ones who violently refuse to step down. We'd let most of the drug addicts and thieves go and fill their empty cells with people who are actually having a noticeably negative effect on society. 

I just have broken English and an open mind ...

Your English is damn good.

No.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |