Buying: R9 Fury X Vs. GTX980 Ti

DXMember
Go to solution Solved by Sam Z Man,

Just buy the Fury and if people question it just say you find nvidia's practices to be morally wrong.

But 290X crossfire or 295X2 is actually better in most Benchmarks so that's good to.

Before we start

I have already decided on getting Fury X because I'm a hateboy of nVidia and their marketing policies.

I just made this thread to see at least one person agreeing on Fury X and will be ignorant of anyone that suggests GTX980 Ti

Also GTX980 Ti is at 550€ (reference) and Fury X is at 690€ where I live at.

My system can support both of them, have 1000W Seasonic Platinum PSU and a lot of options to mount AIO.

Reason I made the topic even though I already decided on Fury X is I am concerned about overclocking headroom...

I mean I've seen Maxwells hitting 40%+ OC easily while Fury X struggles to get even 10%+

Does anyone own a Fury X on this forum?

Do you think the voltage lock is due to HBM? They are on the same silicone with the GPU and would the increased temperature or voltage fry the HBM modules? Is that the reason voltage is locked?

Another option - maybe I should go 290 Crossfire?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

980 ti then of course, much cheaper.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Fury X OVER 100 MORE WHERE YOU LIVE?

I feel SO bad for you, but for your question i think we will find the limit for HBM once people run modded BIOS's on the card.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Before we start

I have already decided on getting Fury X because I'm a hateboy of nVidia and their marketing policies.

Way to spam the fore-hams, bud. You want people to justify your purchase for you. Sweet.

I just made this thread to see at least one person agreeing on Fury X and will be ignorant of anyone that suggests GTX980 Ti

Do you know what 'ignorant' means?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

They perform similarly at 4k. If money and amount of Vram matters to you the 980ti is the better choice.

Sorry about my signature, Il get it fixed when im on my computer.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Before we start

This just blows me away... wow.. did you also sell you Merc because of the way Hamilton overtook a car in the F1 race the other day and the teams racing policies are so wrong. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

980ti is a better choice now, it performs better or as much as a fury and it's cheaper. and you will get whql driver updates twice every month now.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

It is not ignorant, the fury X doesn't justify the extra 140 euros. Maybe wait for it's price to go down.

People be looking for a reason to flame.

Before we start

Also GTX980 Ti is at 550€ (reference) and Fury X is at 690€ where I live at.

Uhhh, you could probably match the Fury price by getting non reference 980Ti, like G1 Gaming one. And even If not, 140€ less is a big reason to go with 980Ti, even the reference one.

Another option - maybe I should go 290 Crossfire?

Crossfire is often shoot and miss, especially with AMD driver update frequency. <.< 

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

wouldnt dare pay 140 more for the fury, uses more power, probs has poor driver support atm, has to have radiator mounted above gpu and that would be a problem for me because my cpu cooler is insanely big so thats no mounting at the top for me. 

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

wouldnt dare pay 140 more for the fury, uses more power, probs has poor driver support atm, has to have radiator mounted above gpu and that would be a problem for me because my cpu cooler is insanely big so thats no mounting at the top for me. 

The fury x alone uses 294W under heavy load, the 980ti uses 250W under load, not that big of a difference. The card JUST launched, ofc the drivers are gonna be wonky atm, you could also mount it to the front or on the rear.

Also where OP lives propably an aftermarket 980Ti costs around the same as the fury X.

Normally I'd tell you to go grab that 980 Ti, but this statement "I just made this thread to see at least one person agreeing on Fury X and will be ignorant of anyone that suggests GTX980 Ticoncerns me.

I want to ask you, do you hate Nvidia? Because one small crash or oops or problem with the card will make you hate it for life. You'll hate the 980 Ti and you'll hate Nvidia. If you're an AMD fan, most likely you'll ignore the same problems that might happen on the Fury X, you'll love the card despite being a little lower performing. If you're a hardcore AMD fan, nothing from Nvidia will ever satisfy you. Likewise for Nvidia.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Normally I'd tell you to go grab that 980 Ti, but this statement "I just made this thread to see at least one person agreeing on Fury X and will be ignorant of anyone that suggests GTX980 Ticoncerns me.

I want to ask you, do you hate Nvidia? Because one small crash or oops or problem with the card will make you hate it for life. You'll hate the 980 Ti and you'll hate Nvidia. If you're an AMD fan, most likely you'll ignore the same problems that might happen on the Fury X, you'll love the card despite being a little lower performing. If you're a hardcore AMD fan, nothing from Nvidia will ever satisfy you. Likewise for Nvidia.

https://youtu.be/0pZ5Pl-6hEM?t=5m17s

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Surely a topic that states "I just made this thread to see at least one person agreeing on Fury X and will be ignorant of anyone that suggests GTX980 Ti" should just be deleted, I mean seriously what is the point in this. 

If you wanted someone to agree than just google "Why i should buy a furyX over a 980ti" and there we go. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Uhhh, you could probably match the Fury price by getting non reference 980Ti, like G1 Gaming one. And even If not, 140€ less is a big reason to go with 980Ti, even the reference one.

Crossfire is often shoot and miss, especially with AMD driver update frequency. <.< 

G1 Gaming 750 € and MSI Gaming 900 € over here (: