[confirmed] Intel reportedly delays 10nm mass production - poor yelds

zMeul

source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/anton-shilov/intel-delays-ramp-of-10nm-mass-production-due-to-poor-yields-report/

Intel.png

Intel Corp. has again delayed installation of equipment necessary to produce semiconductors in high volume using 10nm process technology. It is believed that Intel experiences yield ramp issues, just like in case of its 14nm manufacturing tech, which is why it does not make sense for the company to buy and install new equipment just now.

In April, it was reported that Intel put off purchase of tools to start mass production of chips at fab 28 in Kiryat Gat, Israel, from March to December. The acquisition of the equipment is a part of a $6 billion upgrade plan for the company’s semiconductor fabrication facility, which is tremendously important for Intel. SemiWiki reports that recently the world’s largest chipmaker decided to further delay purchase of the equipment to 2016 and hence postpone volume production of chips using its 10nm fabrication process.

Intel’s competitors on the market of semiconductors – Samsung Electronics and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. – plan to start high-volume production of 10nm products in 2015. Potentially, they may leave Intel behind with the new node, which is a bad news for Intel, which has been the technological leader of the semiconductor market for decades.

If Samsung and TSMC manage to start high-volume production of 10nm chips earlier than Intel and those processors can threat central processing units from Intel, then the latter is in trouble. At present Intel has to sell its tablet system-on-chips at a loss in order to sustain or gain market share against partners of ARM Holdings. If designers of ARM-based chips gain technological advantage over Intel and that advantage translates into performance and power consumption benefits, then Intel is in trouble since notebook designers may prefer ARM-based SoCs to Intel’s CPUs.

By contrast, Samsung and TSMC will continue to use FinFET transistors at 10nm. That said, it is not cast in stone that Samsung’s and TSMC’s 10nm technologies will be dramatically better than Intel’s 14nm FinFET.

intel_semiconductor_reduction_cost_chip_

----

update July 16th: Intel confirms 10nm delays as it enters 3rd generation of 14nm products

source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/intel-confirms-tick-tock-shattering-kaby-lake-processor-as-moores-law-falters/

Intel has confirmed today that it will build a third generation of processors on its 14nm process, and that the switch to 10nm manufacturing has been delayed until the second half of 2017, showing the challenges that Moore's Law is under, and bringing an end to the company's "tick-tock" strategy.

AnandTech - Intel second quarter earnings

Process.png

---

if Intel delays this 10nm process node they might have a problem, depending on what Samsung can actually produce; this wasn't exactly unexpected

This isn't surprising to be completely honest. I don't mind companies sticking around a node for a while either because we've done it so often anyways with great improvements done over the years on the same scale. I guess it's just wanting to be the first to have a three-atom wide gate.

Is this the window every other player in the market was waiting for to pick up with Intel fab process?

Agreed, wasn't expecting 10nm for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if they release mobile 10nm parts a year or more before desktop parts.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The waiting game - #1 best seller right now

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Alright Samsung.  I only ask this once a week, but please buy AMD, wipe the debt, help them with their processes, and give us some competition wars again.

Hell ignore debts, buy the rights and sell things branded for AMD to fix their shit.

If Intel can't pull 10nm off then I don't see the others doing it with good (profitable) yields.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Hell ignore debts, buy the rights and sell things branded for AMD to fix their shit.

Buy the rights, pay off the debts, and recover all losses by making all Samsung SMART Fridges, "Powered by Radeon ™ "

Buy the rights, pay off the debts, and recover all losses by making all Samsung SMART Fridges, "Powered by Radeon

Ice Dispencer now has GameWorks enabled.

All fridges are now useless thanks Nvidia.

The Way To Fuck You Over.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

This report isn't remotely credible. The fab in Israel is 2 months from being done in construction anyway, and then that leaves outfitting which will be another month or two minimum.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As usual, Intel is just chillin. No competition means they don't have to push themselves hard at all. I was kind of expecting this. They say the 14nm series will be just another standard issue of i3/i5/i7 with lower consumption and same amount of cores and threads. Same song and dance... :P

Alright Samsung.  I only ask this once a week, but please buy AMD, wipe the debt, help them with their processes, and give us some competition wars again.

It will be doomsday... if the sail goes.. they cannot use i386 instruction and wil slow things down,,,

It will be doomsday... if the sail goes.. they cannot use i386 instruction and wil slow things down,,,

Well, even if that happened--Samsung would probably try to acquire the license for AMD, a Samsung Group Company, or it'd go to nVidia and then we'd see other interesting developments.  

This report isn't remotely credible. The fab in Israel is 2 months from being done in construction anyway, and then that leaves outfitting which will be another month or two minimum.

this isn't about the fab not being ready on time, but issues with the actual process node

This was quite expected.

They haven't really filled up their 14nm yet. My guess is the lack 14nm customers, is putting intel low on budget to actually have R&D to put forward for 10nm.

Buy the rights, pay off the debts, and recover all losses by making all Samsung SMART Fridges, "Powered by Radeon ™ "

You mean ovens not fridges.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

this isn't about the fab not being ready on time, but issues with the actual process node

They can't be having yield issues on a process not yet implemented. The equipment isn't even in the building. The only place making 10nm chips right now is HQ for testing and tuning yields before wide deployment which still has validation runs before mass production can begin.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This was quite expected.

They haven't really filled up their 14nm yet. My guess is the lack 14nm customers, is putting intel low on budget to actually have R&D to put forward for 10nm.

Intel having a low budget is laughable.

Intel having a low budget is laughable.

Do you actually think they would just tank up the cost? That is even more laughable, to be honest.

We knew this since Kaby Lake is coming next year. Well, this is the confirmation of what we basically knew.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Do you actually think they would just tank up the cost? That is even more laughable, to be honest.

It wouldn't be the first time, especially with profits soaring as they are.

We knew this since Kaby Lake is coming next year. Well, this is the confirmation of what we basically knew.

The Skylake equivalent of the Devil's Canyon refresh (except this time with a new graphics core deployed) confirms a 10nm delay? That's not remotely credible evidence.

It wouldn't be the first time, especially with profits soaring as they are.

I don't remember the last time?

So by forcing out a more expensive solution, they will have better profits?

They need the profit from 14nm to reinvest into 10nm.