what does gaming look like at 2560x1440?

Air tree

Well the title pretty much says it all but i was wondering what it looks like compared to 1080p, even though i have never had a 1080p monitor and i'm just jumping all the way up to 2560x1440 :P

Lots of lag, low framerate..... but if you have enough GPU horsepower then it will look very high detail, curved lines will be curved even with no AA, Text etc will be smaller etc

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Lots of lag, low framerate..... but if you have enough GPU horsepower then it will look very high detail, curved lines will be curved even with no AA, Text etc will be smaller etc

Well i'm going to get a 9970 when it comes out so i expect that to be pretty good in regards of GPU power.

Well i'm going to get a 9970 when it comes out so i expect that to be pretty good in regards of GPU power.

You should get a good experiance then.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

It's noticeably better than 1080p depending on what monitor you get.  If it's a proper 1440p monitor made by a decent manufacturer and not a cheap Korean one then you'll definitely love it.  The 9970 should be more than capable of running games at 1440p, that'll be my next upgrade when it's released as well.  

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Looks awesome, I much prefer it over a 23/24" 1080 monitor any day.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

It's noticeably better than 1080p depending on what monitor you get.  If it's a proper 1440p monitor made by a decent manufacturer and not a cheap Korean one then you'll definitely love it.  The 9970 should be more than capable of running games at 1440p, that'll be my next upgrade when it's released as well.  

yeah i'm ending up going with the asus pb278Q, but in my opinion the colours and the quality of the screen is still very good on the korean ones just not the overall build quality, the build quality sucks.

I have a 27" iMac from mid 2010 and it's a 1440p monitor. I lag when I play some games on 1440p but the definition is awesome. I'm gonna be sad when I build my new rig and go to a 1080p monitor but I should be lag free :)

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

yeah i'm ending up going with the asus pb278Q, but in my opinion the colours and the quality of the screen is still very good on the korean ones just not the overall build quality, the build quality sucks.

The PB278Q is a great monitor, you should be impressed with it.

I have a 27" iMac from mid 2010 and it's a 1440p monitor. I lag when I play some games on 1440p but the definition is awesome. I'm gonna be sad when I build my new rig and go to a 1080p monitor but I should be lag free :)

The iMac has a slow response time and a fair amount of ghosting from what I've heard, it really isn't suited for gaming.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The iMac has a slow response time and a fair amount of ghosting from what I've heard, it really isn't suited for gaming.

I don't notice the response time, I have never noticed any ghosting, and I know it's not for gaming. It was good when I first got it but it's been progressively worse, hence me building my own rig once I sell it :)

However, the colors on the monitor are beautiful and I don't have as much money for a PB278Q so I'm gonna grab a PB238Q.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I don't notice the response time, I have never noticed any ghosting, and I know it's not for gaming. It was good when I first got it but it's been progressively worse, hence me building my own rig once I sell it :)

However, the colors on the monitor are beautiful and I don't have as much money for a PB278Q so I'm gonna grab a PB238Q.

cant you use the imac as a display?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

lol...The guys who are against the 1440p Korean Monitors are the same guys who now make fun of the GTX 780. It hurts paying double the price for something when you know there's one at a price that's super low but still performs the same way as yours. I ordered a pixel perfect version of the X-star Logan at Teksyndicate reviewed recently,and i have to say,it was money well spent,just like buying a GTX 780 right now if the TITAN was what i was after. Everyone who's reading this,check out Menacing Tuba on Youtube,he owned most 1440p monitors,including the ASUS,but still prefers using the Qnix.

So it all comes down to what you want? Performance at an unbeatable price or bragging rights?

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

lol...The guys who are against the 1440p Korean Monitors are the same guys who now make fun of the GTX 780. It hurts paying double the price for something when you know there's one at a price that's super low but still performs the same way as yours. I ordered a pixel perfect version of the X-star Logan at Teksyndicate reviewed recently,and i have to say,it was money well spent,just like buying a GTX 780 right now if the TITAN was what i was after. Everyone who's reading this,check out Menacing Tuba on Youtube,he owned most 1440p monitors,including the ASUS,but still prefers using the Qnix.

So it all comes down to what you want? Performance at an unbeatable price or bragging rights?

It's not just bragging rights i just want a good warranty and  build quality, that being said i have nothing against korean monitors infact i was looking at them heavily. i just wanted the warranty and the safeness that i get by buying a name brand product. and i think it's quite nice that you got such a good deal on your monitor :D

I actually have one of these. It took about 2 days before I could close my mouth out of sheer awe at the sexyness.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

cant you use the imac as a display?

Only as the display for another mac, yaaaaaaay………………………….

If build quality is not the best ever,you could always use some of the money to get one of the best,solid monitor stands out there,which would in fact rival some of the stands you get on other "premium" monitors. I think it's just a matter of personal preference,because for me i think display quality comes first..unless you're moving your display around all the time...with regards to warranty,if you live in the US,apparently there's a company that has extended warranty or something like that,i'm not sure,but my friend,i'm not saying the ASUS is bad,i'm just saying people(maybe not you) should stop saying the Korean monitors are "Cheap". Yes to some part they are,in terms of price. What you need to remember is that your "trusted" companies, LG & Samsung to name but a few,are also Korean companies. It sucks how marketing and "design ethos" screws with everyone(end-user a.k.a the buyer). 

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

Lovely, it looks better especially on bigger screens where 1080p pixel density would be atrocious. The only drawback is the bad response times although I' m fine with it.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Does he own the catleap aswell?

I don't think it is about bragging rights. I am not against the Korean monitors, I am just aware that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If something is cheaper, it probably is for a reason. Further, they didn't offer me much of a cost savings to begin with. If you want a pixel perfect Korean monitor, it will cost you at least $330. If you want a 3 year warranty, that is another $50 at least. That's $390. If you want a nice stand (which I do), what another $60-100? so that is about $450-490. This does not cover any duties that I may have to pay getting it into Canada.  I bought my monitor from Dell (U2713HM), and it cost me $550. A whole $60-100 more than if I got it from a Korean reseller (with all the same warranties,guarantees,stand). And with Dell if anything goes wrong (ie dead pixel), they will let me keep using the monitor until my new one arrives. I would gladly pay an extra $60 for the hassle free aspect of the replacement policy alone, ignoring the fact that the Dell most likely has better construction and that you are dealing with a well established company, not an ebay reseller, who could disappear in a year ( or less ).

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

To me, the better build quality, three year warranty, better customer service, OSD (Not sure if the Korean panels have OSDs), and peace of mind are worth the $200 more for an Asus PB278q over a Korean panel. I got the Asus for around $600 and am glad I did so. If there are any defects within the next few years I can give Asus a call and get a replacement. 

When buying a monitor I really hate to compromise. As monitors do break, pixels do die and so on I too much rather pay extra for longer warranty.... with monitors I tend to just go with DELLs high end stuff. If anything breaks in the first few years they just deliver a new one to your door and take away the one that's broken.

And once you go 1440p or 1600p it's very hard to go back.

When buying a monitor I really hate to compromise. As monitors do break, pixels do die and so on I too much rather pay extra for longer warranty.... with monitors I tend to just go with DELLs high end stuff. If anything breaks in the first few years they just deliver a new one to your door and take away the one that's broken.

And once you go 1440p or 1600p it's very hard to go back.

.... and this is why I won't go 1440p or 1600p cuz if I see it and like how it looks but things don't run well at those resolutions with my vid cards and cpu then I will require an upgrade and really I also haven't logged that many gaming hours at 1080p so yeah

1440p or 1600p means more $$$$ not just for a new monitor but other components and I can't afford to be upgrading all the time and with that said I told my brother and son we would be sticking with 1080p for a minimum of 2 years more

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

.... and this is why I won't go 1440p or 1600p cuz if I see it and like how it looks but things don't run well at those resolutions with my vid cards and cpu then I will require an upgrade and really I also haven't logged that many gaming hours at 1080p so yeah

1440p or 1600p means more $$$$ not just for a new monitor but other components and I can't afford to be upgrading all the time and with that said I told my brother and son we would be sticking with 1080p for a minimum of 2 years more

Yeah that really is the downside of it all.

The PB278Q is an awesome display.  I bought it for my sister for her office back in Nov 2012.  She doesn't play games with it, just for her office work and development, etc.

I was blown away when I first set it up for her.  Now that the price has dropped I want to get one for myself.  I paid $699 back in Nov 2012... now I see it is "only" $559. 

Definitely can't go wrong with the Asus 1440 display.