It is Now Illegal to Rip CDs You Already Own in UK

ahhming

Govts want to control citizens bit by bit....

That's what I'm sayin'.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ripping CD has been illegal for quite sometimes, it's just that people who did this kept their mouth shut and nobody gave a fuck about it actually

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Who's gonna stop me...............Goes to rip all CD's..............realises he has no CD's to rip.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This is horse shit.

Thanks UK gov for giving in to record labels' demands.

They didn't. They fought the case but ultimately the EU courts deemed it illegal so we must obey.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Rage until they change it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Well I guess it's time to go all hipster and use the old discman.

So Amazon's "auto-rip" service is illegal too?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So Amazon's "auto-rip" service is illegal too?

Probably, and can't you import music into iTunes too? Guess that'll be illegal then as well. Oh, and don't even think about copying your iTunes library to an MP3 player, because that's a copy for which the artist doesn't get compensation as well.

In fact we can consider ourselves lucky that we don't have to pay for each time we listen to a song.

The UK has been doing a lot a this shit recently, and I bet by the same time next year, music sales will not have gone up at all, and might have actually dropped.

The UK has been doing a lot a this shit recently, and I bet by the same time next year, music sales will not have gone up at all, and might have actually dropped.

The way the industry is pushing streaming I'd wager in 10 years actually having the file to play will be impossible. You either stream or you do without.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Cool cool. How you going to survey this then oh Mr Government?

Going to knock on every ones doors and check their houses for "copies"

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

post-153490-0-41449300-1434908349.jpg

I still don't see why you would need to rip another DVD and use it just for yourself.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I still don't see why you would need to rip another DVD and use it just for yourself.

Because discs get damaged. You buy the original, back it up, store the original and use the back up. When the back up dies you still got the original safe and sound.

Because discs get damaged. You buy the original, back it up, store the original and use the back up. When the back up dies you still got the original safe and sound.

Exactly this. I have boxes full of Blu-Rays and CDs that have been ripped to the NAS. I can watch them or listen to them anytime I want (without unskippable 5 minute copyright warnings on the DVDs too) without constantly having to insert (and occasionally scratch) my originals.

Good job I ripped all of my physical media back when they made this legal last year....

Oh wait, I don't care *Goes back to ripping CD collection*

This was a joke, I have always and will continue to always rip anything I buy on physical media for personal use.

Probably, and can't you import music into iTunes too? Guess that'll be illegal then as well. Oh, and don't even think about copying your iTunes library to an MP3 player, because that's a copy for which the artist doesn't get compensation as well.

In fact we can consider ourselves lucky that we don't have to pay for each time we listen to a song.

In that case I'll dig out that tape recorder so I can sit next to the radio to press "record" when a song comes on that I want to re-listen to. Because we're still allowed to do that.

That nostalgia :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is why Simple MP3 on Android and Youtube MP3 exist 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I will light a candle for you.  :(

You're crazy. I keep full system image backups on Blu Ray discs in case my external drive ever fails. I can fit tons of music on a Blu-Ray as well, up to 100GB now. That lets me keep my phone free for pictures and notes and the like. Optical media is never going to die out. It always has utility and reliability.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It wasn't already?

People can easily make burns to give to their friends or even sell. Music industry especially is anal about this shit.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

You're crazy. I keep full system image backups on Blu Ray discs in case my external drive ever fails. I can fit tons of music on a Blu-Ray as well, up to 100GB now. That lets me keep my phone free for pictures and notes and the like. Optical media is never going to die out. It always has utility and reliability.

or maybe I am not a hoarder and I don't want everything archived at my home.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Let them try and uphold this law, I'll keep ripping my CD's and DVD's until hell freezes over. I'm not gonna buy music from iTunes and I will not stream music from Spotify or any of the other streaming services, I'll buy my music and films in a physical format that I know is mine, and do whatever the effin' hell I want with them.

You can say disc based media is dead until you're blue in the face, but until they offer DRM free alternatives to disc based media that isn't streaming only, I will continue to buy it and rip a copy to my devices in a format that I can use without restrictions without requiring an active internet connection to use.

Afaik this ruling only returns us to how it was before the law was changed, so we'll see what actually happens regarding this, but if they make it actually illegal to rip physical media to a digital format, then they've opened a can of wasps they'll never defeat, they cannot hope to sue and hand out jail terms to millions of legitimate users, there just isn't enough resources to stop that many people. Nonetheless, this ruling is a massive step backwards, and is indicitive of the level of stupid that is in charge of our courts and government.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon