It is Now Illegal to Rip CDs You Already Own in UK

ahhming

this sums it up..

post-52604-0-77466900-1434917501.jpg

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Now consider this, what happens when every blank media will be taxed because they think that people buy that to rip legal stuffs 'illegally', hence the consumers have to pay for all the 'potential lose of revenue' by the copyright holder.

torrents UK movie, and digitally copies 1000 times* come at me UK!  B)

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

It sucks that the British are becoming more American with laws like this 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Thanks UK gov for giving in to record labels' demands.

No, the government explicitly legalised this a year or so ago... I don't know wtf that judge was doing.

Making something illegal on something becoming progressively obsolete? Well done lol your government seems almost as bad as the australian one. 

This is eerily accurate

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This doesn't even make any sense. It's based on an EU Directive -- a Directive isn't a law. It's more like a recommendation. A Directive is made with the intention of each country instantiating it in their own local laws -- they cannot override the local laws.

The High Court Judge does not have the power to override the laws Parliament sets down. What this thread is describing legally cannot happen.

Is there another source for this, because the more I read this the less credible it sounds.

This. Is. Bull. Crap!

Less than a year ago, this was passed to allow these actions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29448058

and now the government is going back on their word? I'm thinking someone paid off someone or did them a questionable favor... (You have to use your brain for that one)

I'm not being funny, but in my house, I have younger brothers and sisters who take my stuff all the time and when I get it back, its all scratched and doesn't work, so I had to get a new copy every freaking time, no more, 

I have learned my lesson, I now digitize everything I own.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

This shouldn't be able to last, because there is no legal argument to support it. Wendell put it perfectly.

If the CD is licensed (and not owned), and your CD is stolen, you still technically have the license (because a license is an intellectual construct, and can't be stolen), and thus have a right to listen to that song, in any format, in perpetuity. If it is owned, then it is yours to do with as you please, so long as you do not redistribute it to others.

Then again, it's the UK, it's already basically shocking that they supported this in the first place (making it illegal), so who knows.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

there are times when im proud to be British

this isnt one of them

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Now consider this, what happens when every blank media will be taxed because they think that people buy that to rip legal stuffs 'illegally', hence the consumers have to pay for all the 'potential lose of revenue' by the copyright holder.

We already have had that system in place for years here. In fact our local copyright mafia is pushing it even further.

We already have had that system in place for years here. In fact our local copyright mafia is pushing it even further.

Wow,that's even worse than I can imagine it would be..

mfw third world country where nobody gives a flying fuck about piracy and isp doesnt even block torrents 

Mfw+fatwa+is+declared+against+you+for+sh

i think i just died a little inside...FFS get over it. the moneys gone now just move on

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i think i just died a little inside...FFS get over it. the moneys gone now just move on

It's so funny. They keep squeezing more and more for higher and higher profit margins, when in reality they're cutting off the hand that feeds them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What a load of horse crap. 

I'd even listen it on YT or any online streaming service before even buying a copy, yet alone 'enforcing a law' to buy a second one to play on a different platform is ridiculous.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This is literally retarded. Why is it that nearly every politician ever has no clue about tech.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It's hilarious that a couple of years ago, there would have been no High Court to strike this rule down.

This is literally retarded. Why is it that nearly every politician ever has no clue about tech.

These aren't politicians, these are judges who think they are politicians. The presence of a High Court in a country with no constitution is ludicrous. 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Crap like this, among many others, is why the Pilgrims left Britain for America and revolted against the king.  And took up arms to enforce their freedom from.

You guys should try it sometime.  You'll be amazed how much better you feel.

Am I the only one that sees this as a total joke? Like honestly what do they think theyre gonna achieve with this?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Just like Sir Jeremy Clarkson said "We live in a stupid country".

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

You're crazy. I keep full system image backups on Blu Ray discs in case my external drive ever fails. I can fit tons of music on a Blu-Ray as well, up to 100GB now. That lets me keep my phone free for pictures and notes and the like. Optical media is never going to die out. It always has utility and reliability.

I see where you are coming from, but IMHO cloud based off site backups are going to take the place of optical backups.

OT: when you buy a CD are you really buying the media or are you buying a license for the media? If it is the latter one could easily see where this law makes sense. Not that anyone is going to follow it anyway.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Can't you still do single copy per device plus one back up copy?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K