Is downloading videos from YouTube piracy?

Giganizer300PRO

My friend downloads pirated games and movies and I don't, but he also downloads videos from YouTube and I want to know if it's ok or nor before I do it too. Even Linus once mentioned that they download their videos from YouTube when they need a clip from it.

It's rather easy, you just get a free program and you are ready to go, most of the times the program even has a converter built-in to it, so you can convert your new Taylor Swift song right away and then put it in your phone.

So the real question here is; Is it piracy?

I mean, you're getting content, sometimes content that is otherwise not free for free.

Even Linus once mentioned that they download their videos from YouTube when they need a clip from it.

That's because you have a feature to download your own videos off YouTube. No need for a special website for that.

If you redistribute I guess it could be seen as pirating (but it really depends on the laws where you live)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

only when you upload it somewhere else, because youtube literally has a offline mode where it downloads the video, so no, downloading youtube videos is NOT a piracy as long as you don't make money of it or upload it on different platform.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

My friend downloads pirated games and movies and I don't, but he also downloads videos from YouTube and I want to know if it's ok or nor before I do it too. Even Linus once mentioned that they download their videos from YouTube when they need a clip from it.

It's rather easy, you just get a free program and you are ready to go, most of the times the program even has a converter built-in to it, so you can convert your new Taylor Swift song right away and then put it in your phone.

So the real question here is; Is it piracy?

I mean, you're getting content, sometimes content that is otherwise not free for free.

Yes it violates Youtubes policys 

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

It is.

For private use it is legal(Somewhat, There are exceptions).

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Yes it violates Youtubes policys 

youtube has a option to download videos offline on mobile, how is this any different on PC ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

youtube has a option to download videos offline on mobile, how is this any different on PC ?

you download via 3rd party applications, which is against youtube policies.

Offline mode is still bound to the youtube client, so Google still has some control.

When in doubt: C4

only when you upload it somewhere else, because youtube literally has a offline mode where it downloads the video, so no, downloading youtube videos is NOT a piracy as long as you don't make money of it or upload it on different platform.  

^this is what I was going to say. It seems sensible. So long as the original downloading counts towards the content creators advert. revenue.

Thoughts @LinusTech, @nicklmg, @Slick?

(although I will say, it would be more profitable for them if we could just buy the LinusTechTips DVD series....that doesn't exist.... :( )

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

you download via 3rd party applications, which is against youtube policies.

Offline mode is still bound to the youtube client, so Google still has some control.

It doesnt matter if get my food in stores or order online, it's the same food i swallow 

and the question was, was it pirating, so no.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

I have never seen this, I've tried apps but they all refuse to download from youtube

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

I have never seen this, I've tried apps but they all refuse to download from youtube

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

This probably only extends to their own app and any other form of downloading wouldn'tbe allowed

There are full movies on YT... guess it makes piracy legal then...

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

Why give a shit in the first place? ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

This probably only extends to their own app and any other form of downloading wouldn'tbe allowed

the post is about, where it was a piracy to download videos for later viewing not whether it was legal, as i said, its same as downloading the videos for offline on mobile.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Even Linus once mentioned that they download their videos from YouTube when they need a clip from it.

He owns the videos, so in that case no. 

But if you downloaded say Jurassic World or Justin Biebers latest ablum I think that counts as piracy

There are full movies on YT... guess it makes piracy legal then...

There are full movies on TPB, doesn't make that legal

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Some of you say it's piracy some of you say you can do it, but only for personal use, some of you have focused on the mobile app's offline mode...

I guess no one knows better than YouTube itself so I posted a question on the YouTube forum, we'll see if they respond and what they say.

Some of you say it's piracy some of you say you can do it, but only for personal use, some of you have focused on the mobile app's offline mode...

I guess no one knows better than YouTube itself so I posted a question on the YouTube forum, we'll see if they respond and what they say.

read between the lines, if you can download videos on mobile and watch it later, then you can download it on your PC and watch it later, so its not Piracy 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Ohhhhh to be young and actually care about law breaking....

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

read between the lines, if you can download videos on mobile and watch it later, then you can download it on your PC and watch it later, so its not Piracy 

Not necessarily. On mobile, the app lets you download them, but on PC you have to use 3rd party software.

I just got an answer from YouTube:

The only way to download videos within policy is if there is a download button available, inside YouTube.

So I guess that's it? Kinda...

I wonder if they can tell when someone downloads a video tho...

Not necessarily. On mobile, the app lets you download them, but on PC you have to use 3rd party software.

your question was whether downloading is illegal not the tools used is legal or not. so no, its not piracy to download a something that's already free. you can download a free to play game on pirate bay, doesn't mean its piracy, its an another mode of file distribution.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker