Samsung 840 Pro,850 Pro and 3 othes have a TRIM bug that randomly deletes data

rcarlos243

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

The system was issuing a TRIM to erase empty blocks, the command got misinterpreted by the drive and the controller erased blocks it was not supposed to. Therefore our files ended-up with 512 bytes of zeroes, files smaller than 512 bytes were completely zeroed. When we were lucky enough, the misbehaving TRIM hit the super-block of the filesystem and caused a corruption. After disabling the TRIM, the live big files were no longer corrupted but the small files that were once mapped to the memory and never changed since then had two states – correct content in the memory and corrupted one on the drive. Running a check on the files found nothing because they were never fetched again from the drive and just silently read from the memory. Massive reboot of servers came into play to restore the data consistency but after many weeks of hunting a ghost we came to the end.

As a result, we informed our server provider about the affected SSDs and they informed the manufacturer. Our new deployments were switched to different SSD drives and we don’t recommend anyone to use any SSD that is anyhow mentioned in a bad way by the Linux kernel. Also be careful, even when you don’t enable the TRIM explicitly, at least since Ubuntu 14.04 the explicit FSTRIM runs in a cron once per week on all partitions – the freeze of your storage for a couple of seconds will be your smallest problem.

Broken SSDs:
  • SAMSUNG MZ7WD480HCGM-00003
  • SAMSUNG MZ7GE480HMHP-00003
  • SAMSUNG MZ7GE240HMGR-00003
  • Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series
    recently blacklisted for 8-series blacklist
  • Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
    recently blacklisted as 850 Pro and later in 8-series blacklist
Working SSDs:
  • Intel S3500
  • Intel S3700
  • Intel S3710

Looks like Windows is not affected by the bug.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

This is a crucial moment

:ph34r:

Well done  :mellow:  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Finally a Samsung SSD problem that my 840 Evo doesn't have! 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

each time i hear more about these issues each time i get happier that i bought an 830 :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

each time i hear more about these issues each time i get happier that i bought an 830 :P

Unless you run Linux you won't even have a risk with this issue.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I have both the 850 pro (120gb) and a few 250gb 850 Evo's running Xen on a few debian servers with TRIM support working fine, and absolutely no issues like what this article is having. While samsung might be to blame, i still think something funky is going on at a kernel level for them to be having this kind of issue. If it is infact Samsung's fault, a simple firmware upgrade would fix it.

I also question if the article writer had NCQ enabled, as NCQ is known to cause certain controllers to go bonkers at random. There was an entire list of drives affected by NCQ, i just can't remember where it is. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Maybe should put Linux in the title. I was worried for a moment until I read that it only affects Linux! :P

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Click bait title is real, only like 3 people use Linux anyways

So Intel will Transcend

Oh snap! Wonder if anyone was HyperX enough to get an 840 PRO back when they were big. New Kingston of the hill now for reliability?

I'm really grasping at straws here lol.

I don't do signatures.

Oh snap! Wonder if anyone was HyperX enough to get an 840 PRO back when they were big. New Kingston of the hill now for reliability?

I'm really grasping at straws here lol.

You're a tough Corsair, but lets hope this situation doesn't get too Intenso

This is a signature.

Mine can't get any more problems... it died from the algorithm bug.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Mine can't get any more problems... it died from the algorithm bug.

Mine is still chugging along but I think I have done two firmware updates to it now.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

......the new computer I just built for my mom has an 850 pro, and I'm running an 840 pro.

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ABOUT THIS?!

Edit: Oh thank god, it's not a windows issue.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Mine is still chugging along but I think I have done two firmware updates to it now.

The firmware fix would never go to the next step for me, just restarting and installing the same new firmware but not going to the next part in an endless cycle.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Hold on !

Are you telling me that Pro series has a bug and 840 evo doesn't ?????

post-28682-0-14728800-1434469369.jpg

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Click bait title is real, only like 3 people use Linux anyways

>.<

Linux is a great, lightweight OS that is perfect for web browsing and basic office productivity. It's also a much more preferred programming environment compared to Windows. And this bug will be fixed by the Linux community very quickly I assure you.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

-snip-

Been there, done that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd