Windows 10 --->Home<--- will not Allow the Ability to Disable/Delay any Updates for the OS

If it's that big of a deal, then just get the Pro version. 

But then i can't get the free version. Why pay for it when you can get it for free

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This is great for the average Joe PC user

BUT

This sucks for power users like us

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

This is not news per se we've known for a few weeks I think. And people throwing the "only idiots don't update!" let's remember that

1) Some people are limited to satellite internet or sharing mobile phone internet which greatly restricts transfers. They shouldn't be forced to purchase the professional version or otherwise expect to have no data for the month unexpectedly.

2) You're assuming all updates wouldn't go wrong. Let me tell you even if it's not often it is not unheard of to run into updates that create regressions, new issues and even flatout brick the OS. Why is Microsoft ok with inadvertently ruining millions of pcs or open them to new vulnerabilities, specially with a system they never tested before? I do not trust Microsoft to just automatically download all updates immediately

-------

Current Rig

-------

you - can i disable updates ?

windows - you don't need that, we know what is better for you "so we choose for you", now stop asking... human drone  :mellow:

- - - - 

linux - sure  ^_^

But then i can't get the free version. Why pay for it when you can get it for free

You should have payed upfront for the Pro version instead of home, that's why i bought Pro over Home Ultimate for the extra features and update things down the line......

windows - you don't need that, we know what is better for you "so we choose for you", now stop asking... human drone  :mellow:

- - - - 

linux - sure  ^_^

Actually, it is more along the lines of "This is the only OS we will have from now on, you will never need to buy another one. Since our plan is to update this one infinitely, we want to make sure these updates reach people".

This is not a foreign concept to software engineers. Hell, even steam requests that you update whenever they see the need to. You can also uninstall any update that was installed whenever you see fit. This is just MS making sure people are getting the most up to date experience with their OS, and to the average user, it will only be a boon. To those of us that could care less about updates, and only look for specific features, we will still have control over those aspects (Professionals should use the Professional version, no?). I say MS is doing a great thing here, as you would be surprised how many machines are running without important security updates on their ancient OS and complaining when they are infected by a plethora of malware. Besides, we all know someone will find some hackery for those of us that are tech savvy to manually disable updates through unconventional means, so it wont really matter anyways.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

steam requests that you update whenever they see the need to.

Yeah. They don't just shove them down your throat.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Where do I upgrade?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I'm mostly worried because their updates have broken people's installs before. Either they are confident that kind of thing won't happen again or they don't give a shit and will deal with it then.

Either way they shouldn't force updates on people. Those who are fine with it? Okay. But there are a lot of us who would rather not have Micrsoft's hands deep up the backside controlling what goes on. They could slip a program in there and you wouldn't even know or have the ability to say no.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yeah, there's a reason even noob home users should buy Pro. Control is a good thing.

The less control some people have, the better.

This is the default behaviour in windows 7 and 8, there's just no option to opt out of it now.  I think it's a good thing for the majority of users.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

so... if i have a windows 7 home premium (not that crappy windows 7 home)

do i need go "down" to a windows 10 "home" (where i can't even disable updates) ?

can (at least) i change the wallpaper on windows 10 home ?

That's bullshit since people like my grandma have internet that is complete shit (like less than 1Mbps download), which means this will bog down EVERYTHING. IF she gets a new computer anytime soon that has Windows 10, I will not let her use it unless it has Windows 10 Pro, just so I can turn off automatic updates.

$$$

well thats irresponsible and dangerous

The less control some people have, the better.

This is the default behaviour in windows 7 and 8, there's just no option to opt out of it now.  I think it's a good thing for the majority of users.

users should not have control that behaviour under most circumstances if you do need to control use pro in the first place.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Can I go from 8.1 to 10 Pro for less than an entire new OS since I get 10 normal free from 8.1 normal?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I don't see a problem with this; why? because I never left WU on auto

why? because MS has a track record, just in the last 6 months +, of releasing bad updates - updates that messed with people's PCs

I tent to wait a couple of days and see if there is a large scale problem with any of them; but if one of the updates is critical I have a non-critical laptop where I can deploy the updates and see system stability

example of bad KB: http://windowsitpro.com/patch-tuesday/patch-tuesday-font-corruption-kb3013455- just 3 months ago

FUCK YOU I WANNA BE ABLE TO CANCEL UPDATES FUCK YOU I DON'T WANT MY PC AUTOMATICALLY RESTARTING FUCK YOU

But i never want to restart my PC. Ever. I keep a lot of things open and it's a big pain in the ass to reopen them after a restart.

That's bullshit since people like my grandma have internet that is complete shit (like less than 1Mbps download), which means this will bog down EVERYTHING. IF she gets a new computer anytime soon that has Windows 10, I will not let her use it unless it has Windows 10 Pro, just so I can turn off automatic updates.

$$$

people really love drama.......scedule the update for 2am and restart in the morning .......and you really should reboot every so oftern its better for your computer

do people really think there wont be a way round this?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I don't see a problem with this; why? because I never left WU on auto

why? because MS has a track record, just in the last 6 months +, of releasing bad updates - updates that messed with people's PCs

I tent to wait a couple of days and see if there is a large scale problem with any of them; but if one of the updates is critical I have a non-critical laptop where I can deploy the updates and see system stability

example of bad KB: http://windowsitpro.com/patch-tuesday/patch-tuesday-font-corruption-kb3013455- just 3 months ago

Never had an issue with autoupdate, personally.

It makes sense for servers etc to not be forced to update, but for regular people it's not a big deal.

Don't like it shell out the extra cash for pro.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Way to go MS, make sysadmins happy.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Way to go MS, make sysadmins happy.

I doubt they'd even be dealing with home anyway.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah, there's a reason even noob home users should buy Pro. Control is a good thing.

Not when you don't know what you doing.

Until you turn on your PC one day needing to do something and then the "Windows is installing updates" screen comes up.

Name the last time that's happened on Windows 8 for you. If you want I can even go into how many steps it takes to get there and what kind of updates are required to make it do that.

People are over-reacting with this. When it installs updates, to can set it to restart when you are not at your PC (Example: 3AM tomorrow)

If you enable the feature in windows 8 and put your computer to sleep regularly windows can do all the updates in sleep.

But i never want to restart my PC. Ever. I keep a lot of things open and it's a big pain in the ass to reopen them after a restart.

Learn was to save why you have opened. You can reopen folders upon startup and almost all programs bring you right back to where you were the next time they are opened.

Name the last time that's happened on Windows 8 for you. If you want I can even go into how many steps it takes to get there and what kind of updates are required to make it do that.

just this week, "patch tuesday", MS released a handful of KBs that required a system reboot