Windows 10 --->Home<--- will not Allow the Ability to Disable/Delay any Updates for the OS

Agreed I appreciate someone who understands real world users are their own worst enemy, and Microsoft is usually smarter than they are. People here are too biased by using themselves as the comparison point.

I completely agree with the idea of having it on by default for most people. However MS should at least include an option to disable automatic updates, either via an option in the control panel or via an "advanced install" option when installing the OS.

As someone else stated earlier, they released 3 updates in the past year that completely locked up a bunch of computers.

A few years ago I had more than a dozen PCs come in over 3 days time, ALL of them with a completely bricked OS.

"Bad update, shit happens". Yeah, you try explaining that to the customers who had to fork over money so I could sort out Microsoft's mess.

With all due respect, but until Microsoft get their stuff together, I'm not buying any of that "microsoft is usually smarter than the users are" thing.

I completely agree with the idea of having it on by default for most people. However MS should at least include an option to disable automatic updates, either via an option in the control panel or via an "advanced install" option when installing the OS.

As someone else stated earlier, they released 3 updates in the past year that completely locked up a bunch of computers.

A few years ago I had more than a dozen PCs come in over 3 days time, ALL of them with a completely bricked OS.

"Bad update, shit happens". Yeah, you try explaining that to the customers who had to fork over money so I could sort out Microsoft's mess.

With all due respect, but until Microsoft get their stuff together, I'm not buying any of that "microsoft is usually smarter than the users are" thing.

The average user can't tell good and bad updates apart. So being able to pick does proportionally does nothing.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

But i never want to restart my PC. Ever. I keep a lot of things open and it's a big pain in the ass to reopen them after a restart.

Not necessarily daily, but it's still annoying you have no control over updates. Hell, you were able to control it since XP, and now you can't do jack shit about them now?

Really, i hate Automatic updates so much. I'd rather update my computer in one sitting than have my pc keep asking me to restart my pc.

i really don't think so. i'm outraged that updates will be forced. now i have no will to use windows 10 anymore.

Then buy the pro edition?

You can defer updates as long as you like then.

how exactly is that?! it doesn't say that I can't turn off "auto check for updates", the OP said you can no longer control when to install the updates

You cannot turn off updates either.

All you can do, is delay by a few days updates in the Pro edition.

[nevermind]

I missed it the 1st time :unsure:

Right, and the fact that I am using Windows 10 Insider, and I have, like many, buggy drivers wanting to install it self.

Right, and the fact that I am using Windows 10 Insider, and I have, like many, buggy drivers wanting to install it self.

I have W10 insider too, but last I checked it was Pro, not home

I have W10 insider too, but last I checked it was Pro, not home

Yup, as you can see, despite being Pro, you can't do anything, beside check a box to delay the the whole set of updates. Which only delays them by a few days (I think it was a week), and then Windows will install it for you and ask to restart.

Yup, as you can see, despite being Pro, you can't do anything, beside check a box to delay the the whole set of updates. Which only delays them by a few days (I think it was a week), and then Windows will install it for you and ask to restart.

I'm not exactly up-to-date with recent build; haven't booted in W10 for quite a few weeks

Yeah. They don't just shove them down your throat.

and that's really fucking annoying. Playing CS:GO and you can't queue cause the game didn't automatically update. 

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

of all things that companies do i just dont think that forced updates, and lets face it it they do more good than harm, is such a big deal.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Interesting route they're going, maybe cause of more casual users on Home version than on Pro so that those on Home don't stay outdated by any chance?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

and that's really fucking annoying. Playing CS:GO and you can't queue cause the game didn't automatically update. 

I'v never actually had a problem with it, TBH.

There are things you can't do with out the so the just shove them in your ass instead.

What about up your dickhole?

If she's got an always on connection set it up so it does it in sleep when she's not using it. Problem solved.

Therein lies the problem (kinda). Her connection, while always on, is unreliable as fuck. Packet loss up the ass, random drops in speed (going from the normal 100KB/s to <1KB/s), and then just random connection loss. I literally started downloading BioShock Infinite at 10PM only to have it finish around noon the next day. And it was corrupted due to the issues mentioned above.

people really love drama.......scedule the update for 2am and restart in the morning .......and you really should reboot every so oftern its better for your computer

do people really think there wont be a way round this?

Well, considering Microsoft is basically controlling your update methods with Home... Yeah. You're pretty much stuck with it unless you pony up an unnecessary amount of dough to get Pro.

well thats irresponsible and dangerous

users should not have control that behaviour under most circumstances if you do need to control use pro in the first place.

I won't turn them off, per say. I'll just do like I've done with literally every computer I have access to and have it tell me when there are updates and let me decide when to download and install them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Interesting route they're going, maybe cause of more casual users on Home version than on Pro so that those on Home don't stay outdated by any chance?

No. They are BOTH forcing you. @MrMineHeads post is incorrect.

All you can do in the Pro edition, is to delay by a few days the current SET of updates available. It will force install the updates, and drivers. So if you have any problem with drivers, and you want to stick with a specific version, you can't.

Ah, cant wait for Windows to bring out one of the OS breaking updates again, where your OS keep restarting constantly due to windows having fucked up with the update.

Hate to break it to those complaining but windows NEEDS this. It is by far the most used OS in the world. And with that comes a massive user base of people who dont know what the hell they are doing and frankly are not responsible with their machines, then it breaks/gets infected and they blame microsoft and not themselves for having a copy of windows that's 9 months out of date.

To those complaining you are the VAST Minority here. and these forced updates are better for the overwhelming majority of the windows user based. 

If you dont like it to damn bad, suck it up and deal with it or get windows 10 Pro. This is easily the best choice for microsofts majority of customers.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

All you can do in the Pro edition, is to delay by a few days the current SET of updates available. It will force install the updates, and drivers. So if you have any problem with drivers, and you want to stick with a specific version, you can't.

Just a thought but do you think that might be so since it's a preview version? Seeing as how the preview builds have incompatible driver issues it would make sense to make sure people are updated with the latest drivers on the preview. Hopefully it does change for the final version of Windows 10 Pro for the more advanced users.

Personally, I welcome this change especially for Windows 10 Home Edition. Most people using the Home Edition will be someone who doesn't really know better so making the update process automatic for them would be better for them.

Not when you don't know what you doing.

Even then it's a good thing. Recovering from a screwup is easy these days. Moreover, people can learn to know what they're doing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hate to break it to those complaining but windows NEEDS this. It is by far the most used OS in the world. And with that comes a massive user base of people who dont know what the hell they are doing and frankly are not responsible with their machines, then it breaks/gets infected and they blame microsoft and not themselves for having a copy of windows that's 9 months out of date.

To those complaining you are the VAST Minority here. and these forced updates are better for the overwhelming majority of the windows user based. 

If you dont like it to damn bad, suck it up and deal with it or get windows 10 Pro. This is easily the best choice for microsofts majority of customers.

K. I'll remember this when you'll have driver issues, and you'll start fighting between Windows Update and official drivers, like right now AMD users under Windows 10. Then I'll point you to this thread. This is Windows 8 dropping the start button during beta. Mostly everyone said how a great idea that was. Well... we can see how it ended up not being so.

Just a thought but do you think that might be so since it's a preview version? Seeing as how the preview builds have incompatible driver issues it would make sense to make sure people are updated with the latest drivers on the preview. Hopefully it does change for the final version of Windows 10 Pro for the more advanced users.

Personally, I welcome this change especially for Windows 10 Home Edition. Most people using the Home Edition will be someone who doesn't really know better so making the update process automatic for them would be better for them.

No. because in any case new builds apears only if you done all updates first.

K. I'll remember this when you'll have driver issues, and you'll start fighting between Windows Update and official drivers, like right now AMD users under Windows 10.

No. because in any case new builds apears only if you done all updates first.

I have no doubt you will be holding onto that memory for years to come since I have not once had a driver issue on a released version of windows .

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I really just looked at the article thinking it would be interesting. I did skim through it trying to get the most important details. I quoted, what I think, were the most important parts. Even with those quotes, I still insisted on looking into the article.

My Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5 GHz MOBO: ASUS Z97M mATX RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz Storage #1: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Storage #2: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB SSD GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WINDFORCE Case: Cooler Master N200 PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600B 600W Monitor: AOC 2367 23" IPS Display 

Future Upgrades
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz (for a total of 16 GB) Storage #3: Sansung 850 Pro Series 256 GB SSD GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Twin Frozer V Case: Corsair 350D Window mATX PSU: Cooler Master VSM 80+ Gold  650W
Add me on Steam:
Click me!

I really just looked at the article thinking it would be interesting. I did skim through it trying to get the most important details. I quoted, what I think, were the most important parts. Even with those quotes, I still insisted on looking into the article.

I have. It was also mentioned on Microsoft Ignite event which I covered.

And hence why I made a Windows 10 user voice, to get support to get the ability to hide updates, at least be able to be hide drivers, which is what is usually the most problematic: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

I have no doubt you will be holding onto that memory for years to come since I have not once had a driver issue on a released version of windows .

Yes, you are right, the world goes around you.

of all things that companies do i just dont think that forced updates, and lets face it it they do more good than harm, is such a big deal.

That's a terrible argument.

"They are doing worse things so this is alright" is never something you should say.

Name the last time that's happened on Windows 8 for you. If you want I can even go into how many steps it takes to get there and what kind of updates are required to make it do that.

Literally just now. Which is why I'm writing this on my laptop and not my desktop which is currently occupied installing updates when I expected it to just boot up normally.

"Rawr XD"