Windows 10 --->Home<--- will not Allow the Ability to Disable/Delay any Updates for the OS

Not necessarily daily, but it's still annoying you have no control over updates. Hell, you were able to control it since XP, and now you can't do jack shit about them now?

Yes because the common man disables the the instant one update causes and issue or a friend of a friend 's had an issue, the they never get updates again and wonder why their pc is fucked.

And it's only for home edition. You want pro for more than just this trust me.

Can't wait for dreamspark to release a win 10 embedded industry edition like they did with win 8.1

I use win 8.1 embedded industry on my laptop and win 8.1 pro on the desktop @ home

I can't afford to install updates I don't know work properly. I need 0 downtime if possible so this is a bummer for me

Thats why with pro and above you can delay. And say give me them 2 week after actual release or whatever.

That's bullshit since people like my grandma have internet that is complete shit (like less than 1Mbps download), which means this will bog down EVERYTHING. IF she gets a new computer anytime soon that has Windows 10, I will not let her use it unless it has Windows 10 Pro, just so I can turn off automatic updates.

$$$

If she's got an always on connection set it up so it does it in sleep when she's not using it. Problem solved.

But then i can't get the free version. Why pay for it when you can get it for free

You can then just pay for the small upgrade. Either way due to networking and remote desktop idk why any power use wouldn't want pro.

Yeah. They don't just shove them down your throat.

There are things you can't do with out the so the just shove them in your ass instead.

I'm mostly worried because their updates have broken people's installs before. Either they are confident that kind of thing won't happen again or they don't give a shit and will deal with it then.

Either way they shouldn't force updates on people. Those who are fine with it? Okay. But there are a lot of us who would rather not have Micrsoft's hands deep up the backside controlling what goes on. They could slip a program in there and you wouldn't even know or have the ability to say no.

It'll ship with Windows 10 if anything like that is going to happen.

Meh, I bet you can just turn it off in Group Policy editor.

If you get that at all [emoji14]

It'll ship with Windows 10 if anything like that is going to happen.

You mean them installing programs? Sure. Doesn't mean they couldn't install new programs.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

just this week, "patch tuesday", MS released a handful of KBs that required a system reboot

Yep and my system just yelled at me about it since it expects you to restart in 2-3 days time. Also the ones that force you to restart are usually once a month, the second Tuesday usually to be more exact.

You mean them installing programs? Sure. Doesn't mean they couldn't install new programs.

If they do it right the first time they will t even need anything you can easily track like Windows updates.

Ill give another reason why this is good and doesn't matter one bit. The majority of users of Windows which is the average consumer doesn't even know how to get to Windows update and change settings or manually run them.

You can then just pay for the small upgrade. Either way due to networking and remote desktop idk why any power use wouldn't want pro.

Small upgrade ... sure.  I just clicked the upgrade link for fun.  I can upgrade my Win7 Home Premium to Pro for £120.  At that price, I may as well keep my Win7 until 2020 and buy Win10 Pro, giving me 2 licenses for the price of 2 instead of 1 for the price of 2.

As for why any power user wouldn't want pro : because going pro adds literally NO features that are useful to even the majority of power users. 

Only a handful of people will ever use Microsoft's remote desktop, the rest either sees it as a vulnerability, doesn't use it or relies on a better alternative.

Microsoft is going to get a lot of flak for this shit they better add back the options to disable it on Home and set it up automatically to update by default after install dont ask the user anymore if he doesnt care about updates its much better that he has auto update, but if he wants to disable it its a must to be able to do so.

Anyway probably someone on the internet will find a fix to this for Home users.

MS really loves learning the hard way just why?this mentality is the same as "lets remove start menu to make metro more popular in win8",diregarding all the users who just dont wish to do so,exactly the same mentality.

Yes. Microsoft mentioned this at Microsoft Ignite event, and people with Windows 10 Insider Preview, experienced this for the longest time.

Don't get the Pro! Because all you can do is DELAY (once - can't say a date - just a few days) the SET of available updates. If you have the Preview edition of Windows 10, you can see this.

If you have drivers from Windows Updates, you can only DELAY the set of updates (that means including Windows updates, as well. So if you want to use older drivers, for an older game support, or to wait for a newer drivers due to a bug with the currently release one, then too bad.

I made a user voice asking at least the ability to AT LEAST be able to HIDE updates, such as drivers, but not many people seam to care.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Please vote on it as soon as possible. Windows 10 is about to be released. So now is your time to express yourself. Microsoft doesn't check this forum for feedback.

If @MrMineHeads you want this post on the front page, click on "Mark Solved" button on this post.

seems a forcing move to buy pro

edit: ^just saw post now..just delay???

edit: ^just saw post now..just delay???

Yea. Just delay. At least if we can hide updates, or only (and I think the most important thing) drivers updates, this will solve a huge headache.

Yes, you can still uninstall updates. When you are Windows Update, select Advanced settings -> Uninstall updates.

But wouldn't that just cause the update to be downloaded and installed right away again?

You should have payed upfront for the Pro version instead of home, that's why i bought Pro over Home Ultimate for the extra features and update things down the line......

That was pretty smart of you. Do you still have your magic crystal ball so you can check next week's lottery numbers for me?

I don't see a problem with this; why? because I never left WU on auto

why? because MS has a track record, just in the last 6 months +, of releasing bad updates - updates that messed with people's PCs

But then this will be an issue for you, because you can no longer do the thing you're doing.

people really love drama.......scedule the update for 2am and restart in the morning .......and you really should reboot every so oftern its better for your computer

do people really think there wont be a way round this?

We shouldn't accept a change which removes the users control over their machine just because "someone will probably find a way around it". That is really, really dumb reasoning and the reason why we are in such a terrible situation to begin with.

-snip-

Holy crap dude. Respond to multiple people in a single post please. 14 out of 16 posts in a row are from you.

Like GoodBytes explained, not even getting Pro solves the core issue. Microsoft will ram updates down your throat no matter which version you are on.

seems a forcing move to get Linux

FTFY

If you can only delay, there's no point in getting Pro either. I guess Microsoft flat-out refuses to learn from their past mistakes. At some point they're going to mess up again and EVERY Windows PC will be borked.

Wow I wonder if people even read goodbytes article.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

On business and enterprise setups you go through an update management server so sysadmins won't be affected

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

FTFY

If you can only delay, there's no point in getting Pro either. I guess Microsoft flat-out refuses to learn from their past mistakes. At some point they're going to mess up again and EVERY Windows PC will be borked.

im one of the average consumer, not-too-techy-forum-member here, so no experience in linux..for some friends and family, updates are a good thing.not unless a techy guy is nearby to say some things about it..

Wow I wonder if people even read goodbytes article.

i always read the first post, and before i know it, this thread has 4pages already..thats why i added the edit part

I understand why Microsoft wants to do this. The big problem is that many businesses and Home users as well, never update Windows. Businesses don't do it as "It may break our software!!!" from an insecure IT department, because the work environment they are in will blame on them any downtime, and the reality of things is that updates rarely break a software. I don't think any of us, experienced a Windows update that broke any of our software installed on our system since the first day we used Windows.

Home users, doesn't want to restart their computer, so they block it, forgets it, and voila. I have seen many systems, when fixing them, don't even have Windows Service Pack 1 installed if it runs Windows XP, Vista or even 7. As for Windows 8. you guess it, it is on 8.0 and not 8.1. Even people here, for some reason, have 8.0 and not upgrading to 8.1.

So, as I previously mentioned, and I guess I need to do this, as my previous post will be buried soon.

Please make your voice heared, please vote for ability to hide update: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Now is the time. Windows 10 is about to be released.

So I get that. And I am ok with this. But AT LEAST gives us the ability to hide drivers updates. Ideally I want optional updates and drivers (well ideally I want full control, but as a compromise)

And M$ is wondering why the f**k are there so many pirates...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I understand why Microsoft wants to do this. The big problem is that many businesses and Home users as well, never update Windows. Businesses don't do it as "It may break our software!!!" from an insecure IT department, because the work environment they are in will blame on them any downtime, and the reality of things is that updates rarely break a software. I don't think any of us, experienced a Windows update that broke any of our software installed on our system since the first day we used Windows.

Home users, doesn't want to restart their computer, so they block it, forgets it, and voila. I have seen many systems, when fixing them, don't even have Windows Service Pack 1 installed if it runs Windows XP, Vista or even 7. As for Windows 8. you guess it, it is on 8.0 and not 8.1. Even people here, for some reason, have 8.0 and not upgrading to 8.1.

So, as I previously mentioned, and I guess I need to do this, as my previous post will be buried soon.

Please make your voice heared, please vote for ability to hide update: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Now is the time. Windows 10 is about to be released.

So I get that. And I am ok with this. But AT LEAST gives us the ability to hide drivers updates. Ideally I want optional updates and drivers (well ideally I want full control, but as a compromise)

Agreed I appreciate someone who understands real world users are their own worst enemy, and Microsoft is usually smarter than they are. People here are too biased by using themselves as the comparison point.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

But then this will be an issue for you, because you can no longer do the thing you're doing.

how exactly is that?! it doesn't say that I can't turn off "auto check for updates", the OP said you can no longer control when to install the updates